Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #1

Fresh water tank....

Hi,

I just picked up a 2002 40' Diplomat. The water pump would not fully prime. I pulled off the supply line to the water pump and discovered the fitting in the bottom of the tank ha an obstruction. I tried to push a coat hanger in and it will only go in if I bend it to an upward angle. The other fitting right next to it is completely open. Before I run a drill bit to clean out the hole, (yes I know not to use an electric drill (-: ) does anyone know if there is a "ridge" in the bottom of the tank that I could drill through, ruining the tank? I doesn't seem like it since the other fitting is right next to it and wide open.

Also, the other fitting, has a larger hole. The supply looks like about a 3/8" diameter and the other one looks to be about 1/2". Is that to restrict water usage?

Thank you
Boatdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Doesn't sound right. Don't drill until you get more info from others. Did you check and make sure your handle on your fresh water fill is closed. If not, the pump will not prime properly.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

Yes I did, thanks. I also ran a hose to a bucket and the pump worked flawlessly.
It is definitely the pick up fitting. When I removed the fitting and hose assy, the water barely dribbled out.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

Now that the tank is drained, it appears that the supply fitting has a built in elbow that is part of the plastic tank fitting, that points to the rear of the tank. The other fitting in front of it is the fill hose and it wide open. Is there a reason the suppy would have a short 90 deg fitting inside the tank?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Top or bottom of the tank? You should have at least four lines connected to fittings. One would be a gravity fill line probably 1" or so, a second line coming from your city water hookup/fill that has the selector handle in the bay, third would be some type of vent fitting connected and fourth a drain line and more than likely a fifth overflow line coming from near the top of the tank. Drain and overflow lines look like 1/2" pex lines. A number of members have modified their water bay and know more about this than I do but still recommend that you not drill until you get more info.

It sounds like your pump is working find but if you happen to have a bad fresh water fill selector valve, then you would have the same symptoms of a little water coming through but not a full prime for the pump.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #6

Try blowing compressed air back thru the line and see if you can clear it or just blow into the hose. you can tell by the sound of the bubbles if it is clear. good luck.

Jim
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Boatdoctor.....If you can't remove the obstruction here is another idea. You have a large fresh water drain with a big handle on it. You could tap into that large pipe (cut and put on a "T") or tap with a barb fitting and draw your water for the pump before the drain valve.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would try the compressed air suggestion. Failing that, perhaps something flexible yet rigid to make that 90 bend (like a small long spring). The only reason I can think of having a 90 right there (pointing up) is so the pickup was not right at the bottom of the tank to avoid picking up anything settled there (guess that didn't work )

To that 1/2 inch other "fitting". I assume it's also at the bottom of the tank and unused. If so, I would pull the fitting/plug and make sure it's clear. I see no problem using that one and plug up the obstructed one.

If it is being used, you could check if it has a 90, if not, that would tell if there is a ridge in the tank (which I really doubt anyway) so you could drill the other opening. The only problem I see is, if there is something in there blocking the water intake now, it could block it again. That said, if it were me, I would pull the entire tank (if possible) to elimimate any future problems.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. Here is what I did and fixed the problem:

There are 2 female 1/2" pipe fittings at the bottom of the tank. One is the pressure fill, and the other the supply to the pump. The restriction I saw, actually was a removable piece that pressed into the female pipe fitting for the pump supply. It appears that it is designed to allow the water pump to pick up water even when it gets below the top of the female pipe fitting. It must have spun and the pickup part was against the bottom of the tank causing the restriction. I removed it, hooked everything back up, and the pump primed instantly and works perfect now.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for getting back with the resolution.

Tags
tank, water