RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #1

Fridge leaking refrigerant need some advice

Walked into my storage building last week and was greeted by a strong ammonia smell. I have read many posts on this forum about the fridges leaking and kind of expected what I found. The coach is a 1996 Monaco Signature with the original fridge being a Dometic Elite. I have read many post on residential fridges being installed. My wife really does not want to give up the propane aspect of the RV units. Any and all comments would be appreciated. Also if any have done this what units did you use?

Thanks in advance,,

Joe

joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #2

Fridge leaking refridgerant need some advice

See if these guys have a replacement. https://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-Co...6.aspx?sid=298

And if you go this route, install an ARP controller on the unit.

Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
See if these guys have a replacement. https://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-Co...6.aspx?sid=298

And if you go this route, install an ARP controller on the unit.

Have you tried this route?

joe
Old 04-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #4

Only three choices.
New cooling unit, new 2 way refer or a new residential refer. If you only ever full hookup RV then the residentiwl would be my number one choice.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
Have you tried this route?

joe

Yes. I installed an Amish unit in my Norcold 1200. It works great. MUCH better than the original.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, if you haven't already done so, make sure you turn off the propane both at the fridge and at the main tank shut off. You may even want to disconnect power to it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
a new residential refer. If you only ever full hookup RV then the residentiwl would be my number one choice.
We dry camp 5 days per week most summers and a properly installed residential refrigerator is my BEST mod EVER. Sunk way to much money into a NoCold 1200 because of posts like the above from someone who does not have a residential refrigerator.

Properly installed means 2 more batteries and a PSW inverter unless you install a Samsung which has a DC compressor...works well on a MSW inverter. The EnergyStar 21 cuft Whirlpool I installed draws 8 amps DC measured before the PSW inverter with a 40% duty cycle...1.2KW or 15 cents/day. My generator run time DECREASED with the residential BUT I added a 100 amp charger to my system. My total DIY cost was less than a Amish cooling unit.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Cost was less than Amish unit? Thats great! My Amish unit was $1350.00 delivered. New heating elements and burner also. It has worked great but would consider the Amish compressor/120 volt cooling unit. It wasn't available when I replaced mine. They also make a cooling unit with Helium, that's not a gas that will ignite.
You'll have to call JC Refrigeration to see what cooling units they make for Dometic's
CJScepter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Joe! I would replace the cooling unit with one of the compressor-type from JC Refrigeration in Indiana.

You also have the option of going to a residential unit.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Joe, if you haven't already done so, make sure you turn off the propane both at the fridge and at the main tank shut off. You may even want to disconnect power to it.

Yes. Done that day.

joe
Old 04-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #11

I guess you have to ask some questions about residential v/s dual power . But, you also have to compare function. Do you like hard ice cream , would you like more storage capacity in the same space, would you like more uniform temperature without an auxiliary fan. These are plus features of residential frig's .

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #12

Yes , contact JC Refrigeration. I Changed over to thier all electric model last September and have no regrets. Very reliable , low energy consumption and runs cooler than the Norcold ever did. I was on my Third Norcold cooling unit and it was failing. Total cost installed at JC Refrigeration was $1200.00 Takes them about 2 hours. Nice area to visit.
Don
2006 Monaco Diplomat DST ( Love It )
AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #13

Just wanted to return and thank everyone for the help. I did find a repairman about an hour from here and fridge is up and running well. The real deciding factor was the fact that the old fridge fit well and all that I found residential and RV were going to take some revamping of the cabinetry. All is well,,,, so far.

joe
Old 08-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
Just wanted to return and thank everyone for the help. I did find a repairman about an hour from here and fridge is up and running well. The real deciding factor was the fact that the old fridge fit well and all that I found residential and RV were going to take some revamping of the cabinetry. All is well,,,, so far.

joe
Thanks for letting us know your problem is fixed very rare that someone will do that ...thanks

Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, fridge, leak