Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Front cabinets are coming down

I have 2001 diplomat 38A. It appears the front cabinets and tv shelf are separating from the ceiling from years of vibration.
Does anyone have a clue how to anchor this to the ceiling? Is the ceiling strong enough to mount a piece of wood to?

Here's some pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1442217339.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	41878

Name:	image-2088184920.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	41879

Name:	image-2527916363.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	41880

Name:	image-380418023.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	41881

Thanks
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
My 2001 Diplomat 38A did exactly the same thing. Here's a thread that addresses it. Wish I'd taken more pictures of the "after". But I basically replaced the wood cleats with steel angle brackets and used larger screws to pull the cabinetry up to the ceiling.

As Rex discovered there is an aluminum plate above the TV cabinet that is fairly substantial. The other possibility is to use plumber's tape (strip of metal with holes down the middle) with one end anchored on the box tube and the other end screwed to the cabinet side panels.

Front TV Cabinet Sagging Repair

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave

Thank you for the reply. Rex had surgery last week and will be off the air a few weeks.
I really appreciate the thread. It's exactly what I needed to know.
I hope I can reciprocate.
Rick .
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dave

I've been looking at my cabinets. What wooden cleats are you referring to? You said larger screws to pull up the cabinets. Where are they located. I don't see any support screws going to the roof.
Thanks
Rick
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
In the image below the wood strip with the staples in it is one of the two cleats. One each on the side panels of the TV enclosure. From the pix of your cabinet I cannot tell if you have those same wood cleats or not. In any case it does not matter. I took mine off and replaced them with steel right-angle brackets. One leg was screwed into the side panel and a screw was run through the hole on the other leg up into the plate between the headliner and the coach roof. Kind of like the set up in PusherPilot's rig in the second image below.

On edit: You do NOT want to use a screw long enough to penetrate the roof. The screw I replaced is the one dangling from the cleat in the first image.

Click Here For Repair Description

HTH
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the pics. Now I understand what I need to do.
I'm going to find the aluminum plate. I'm thinking of tapping some holes in it to support the angle bracket to the cabinet wall.
I really appreciate your time and help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Rick.