Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Front Entrance Step Well Cover

2004 Endeavor. The front entrance power step well upon opening I heard a noise of something snapping. The cover will now slide in and out of the compartment by pulling with one finger and will not lock.The electric motor only makes a clunking noise when power is applied.

I am hoping my service contract will cover this repair.

Has any one had this happen to them? One person told me I may have to pull up some of the tile in order to replace the motor and tracks.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

You will have to lay down on your back under the step and have someone operate the switch. That will let you know what is happening. Or take it to a Camping World type repair service and they will find and repair the problem.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it is a Kwikee, this might help. You may have busted a cable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf StepWellCover.pdf (381.3 KB, 451 views)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On our 2003 Monaco our step well cover is air actuated. But I do know they switched over to electric sometime shortly after our model year, not sure if 2004 or 05 though. Are you sure yours is electric?

On our air cylinder we have had an issue with both ends at two separate times. First, right after we purchased it the nut at the outer end came off. Simply reattached it and it was good to go until a few years later. The furthest inside end of the air cylinder broke the attaching bolt. This required a bit more labor but it wasn't too bad.

Ultimately the innermost end of the air cylinder was attached and tightened down at such an angle that it put some un-necessary stress on the fastener. I eneded up machining a small mild steel block with a threaded rod to attach through the floor of the coach in the OEM location and then just resealed the fastener. The machined steel block allowed the air cylinder to be raised off the floor a fraction of an inch yet tighten down firmly to the floor of the coach and therefore not put the angle on the fastener. I hope that makes sense.

In my coach modification and repair thread in my signature there are some pictures that better show how my air cylinder was mounted. If yours is truly electric I would still assume the linear actuator would be mounted in a similar fashion. Maybe my method of mounting it will work on your electric one as well.

On edit, if you are referring to the power step outside the coach then I must have misunderstood, one of the above who are referencing the Kwikee step may be more helpful.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
I'm assuming you are referring to the cover that extends out over the stairs to make a flat floor in front of your passenger seat? Our cover disconnects from the arm that connects it to the motor if you hold the switch down too long. It is possible to reach in under this cover and reattach the arm.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

Jim smithjr. is absolutely correct. The same thing happened on our '05 Endeavor. I had to lay on the steps to see under there but the connecting rod that extends through both slides and connects to the motorized screw had pulled out at the ends in the slides. Was a difficult reach but when the rod is re-inserted into the slide it works perfectly again. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you can remove the step cover, it's possible to remove the assy.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the pic, Drifter. Always wondered what was in/under there, but haven't had a problem with it (yet) so I keep ignoring that curiosity-streak.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #9

I just registered on the forum after finding answers to many of my questions already online. This is our first coach and although my brother had a class A before, it's still a learning curve, I just want to thank everyone for posting so many of their solutions.

Recently purchased a 2002 Tradewinds LTC and the step cover mechanism is missing. Looks like they disconnected it and removed the entire mechanism. Does anyone know which model was installed on those units and where I may be able to find one. I noticed on the manual that it was electric and it appears that there is a wire harness still up underneath there.
Thanks.

Ozzie
ozman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #10

I just figured out there's a section for National RV owners, I'll check there for answers. Still learning the ropes.
ozman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of help, but the OP has never responded!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote