Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 40' 97 Monaco Executive that I just purchased used in Jan. It is proving to be a fantastic coach/bus/rv/camper(I'm new to this so I'm not sure what the correct term is). But to the point, has any one out there seen/done a front hitch? Of course there are the clearance issues, the gen slide etc. . . but before I put to much thought into it I thought I'd throw it our there to the experts.
DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What do you want to use it for....bike rack or boat launching? How you're going to use it will be important.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Never seen a pusher with a front hitch. It would require numerous supports to bypass the generator slide. If you elect to do it, make sure you properly prepare the coach for welding. You just can't connect a ground and start welding.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Frequently, front mounted hitches are for flag pole holders.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Some people just find it easier to launch their boat or like to have something on the front to pull their motorhome.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I will occasionally pull my ski boat (about 4000 lbs) and I thought it would be a lot easier to launch at a ramp with a front hitch. I would only use it at VERY slow speeds for short distance at a launch.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If the front hitch is mounted to a generator slide, then a flag pole mount would be about the load limit.

If there is no generator slide, then maneuvering a trailer would be possible, IMHO.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
DEG503......From personal experience, I'll tell you that it would be much easier using the rear hitch to launch. The large coaches have such a long rear overhang that the rear wheels never even get close to the water.

I think you would also find that it would take a ton of fabrication to make a hitch that would fit around the generator and front slide.

Good Luck
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
DEG503, Good news, I have a front mount CL III hitch mounted on the front of our coach for the expressed purpose of launching and retrieving out 18.5' runabout. Bad news, is my generator is not on slides, permanently mounted up front, so the front hitch assembly is mounted directly to the bottom of the frame rails. Was done as an aftermarket installation as part of the original purchase. Hole was cut in the front bumper/cap for "stinger" to slide into the receiver, when not using I have a hitch mounted license plate holder that slides into the receiver that covers up receiver. Also when camped I use it to hold a mount for a 24' flag pole. I would think any good hitch mounting business could fabricate a CL III hitch for you that would suit your needs. Works exceptionally well for launching and retrieving our boat, I would not do it any other way. Our past 2 coaches have also had front mount hitches on them expressly for boating.

If you would like some pictures of my mount, let me know via private and I will forward them on to you.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thankyou

I think based upon what y'all have told me, I need to pass on the idea of a front hitch. As was mentioned, the generator slide is the killer. No problem launch from the rear hitch, I was just looking for a lazy way out!

David