Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Front protective plastic film

My coach has some kind of protective heavy plastic film over the front cap, top to bottom. Over the years it has become scratched and is looking a bit dull...this just won't do. Has anyone had any luck with polishing this out to bring back the shine and luster? The rest of the finish is like new and the front end is really starting to bug me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
My coach has some kind of protective heavy plastic film over the front cap, top to bottom. Over the years it has become scratched and is looking a bit dull...this just won't do. Has anyone had any luck with polishing this out to bring back the shine and luster? The rest of the finish is like new and the front end is really starting to bug me.
I have the same thing on my ITASCA and used a very fine polishing compound, the same one I use on headlights. It came out OK, not like brand new, but it shines.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Chuck, do you recall what the product you used was? I was thinking about trying 3M Finesse-it...but I don't want to make it worse using the wrong approach.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #4

I just Googled "how to polish 3M clear bra" and found lots of information. I think 3M Finesse-It II should work well to polish it and then use a good automotive wax, or Plexus, or Pledge to seal it.
Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tyler, I have a 2000 dynasty that had the same problem, the plastic had small cracks and had turned yellow in some areas. I removed the 3M Diamond shield by using a plastic paint scraper (actually a bunch of these). I started at one edge and slowely worked the sharp corner of the scraper between the paint and 3 M coating. Then continued to slowly working the scraper back and forth to seperate the plastic from the painted surface. I did not use heat or any chemicals in this process to soften the plactic but I did file the scraper frequently to keep a good edge. Do not pull on the plastic as you serperate it to prevent lifting the paint. I did this job last summer and was able to remove all of the diamond sheild coating without damaging the paint. This process left a adheasive residue on the paint that I removed with a adheasive remover. The bonus was the paint under the plastic looks new and after a coat of wax on the front cap my coach looks much better with the diamond shield gone.
oldtymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diamond Shield is a vinyl product and should never have any product applied to it that containes petrolium distillates. That includes most waxes. The best product that I have found and use on all vinyl is 303 protectant.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all of the good help folks. I'm thinking I'll try to polish the lower film first and see how it comes out. The upper portion over the windshield will need to be removed. In the photo you can see it has lifted up about 1" around the top and sides. This isn't going to fun trying to remove this stuff while on a ladder!

Edit: Well Crud. The photo is too small to see anything. How can I make it larger?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Okay, this is better. You can see the film lifting above the windshield.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use 303 Protectant on ours. Works good.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #10

Been using Carnuba on mine for three years . No problem. looks like new.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Steve N Sal, Perry White.

The biggest issue at this point is bringing back the shine...if possible. It all still looks good from 15', but I still see it The ex wife always said I was anal to an unhealthy degree.....
Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #12

When you tackle removing the upper film, very careful use of a heat gun along with 3M adhesive remover should work well. I would discourage you from using Goof Off. I find that it is too aggressive and will dissolve paint where the 3M adhesive remover will not. Also some plastic razor blades, such as (Permatex 80189 Pro Scraper) will be of great help.
Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorp View Post
When you tackle removing the upper film, very careful use of a heat gun along with 3M adhesive remover should work well. I would discourage you from using Goof Off. I find that it is too aggressive and will dissolve paint where the 3M adhesive remover will not. Also some plastic razor blades, such as (Permatex 80189 Pro Scraper) will be of great help.
Thanks Thorp. That was what I was thinking...from the research it appears there are no short-cuts if you want to save the paint....
Old 01-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
Thanks Steve N Sal, Perry White.

The biggest issue at this point is bringing back the shine...if possible. It all still looks good from 15', but I still see it The ex wife always said I was anal to an unhealthy degree.....

Your lucky, my ex wife said I was just an anal, if you get my drift.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote