Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Front Shock Replacement

I want to replace the front shocks. This is a 2001 Endeavor 38PBD coach. I can't find any reference to the shock part number in my owners manual and I can't find any part numbers doing a search for motor home shocks for this unit. Can anyone steer me in the right direction.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Post a picture of the top mount -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Not sure if this helps, because I find the chart is incorrect for my MH (I have a stem top and eye bottom and chart shows eye/eye mountings). I thinks yours is the same as the '01 Monaco Diplomat. You might want to double check with Bilstein if plans to use them. http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx...me_0811_01.pdf
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bilstein makes only two shocks with the stem/pin on top -- 24-186605 for the front & 24-186612 for the rear -- That`s why I asked if he would post a picture -- If it`s eye-eye , then I would have no idea what shock it takes -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Bilstein makes only two shocks with the stem/pin on top -- 24-186605 for the front & 24-186612 for the rear -- That`s why I asked if he would post a picture -- If it`s eye-eye , then I would have no idea what shock it takes -- Bill Willard
Correct!
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Well....it's eye & eye. The top "bolt" is actually a stud welded in horizontally. The bottom is a bolt that can come out.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced mine last year and they are eye eye that slides over a stud on top and bolts through at the bottom. I don't know the part number but will try to get it off the shock. They were very hard to locate, apparently Bilstein no longer manufactures them and you need to find a retailer like shocks.com that has them in their warehouse. Mine cost about $80 each, and Source Engineering wanted $168 each.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Search for shocks based on the chassis not the house that is built on it. The coach is probably built on a Roadmaster Chassis but you should dig a bit deeper to verify and find the specific model and/or weight capacity just to ensure you get the correct shock.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Search for shocks based on the chassis not the house that is built on it. The coach is probably built on a Roadmaster Chassis but you should dig a bit deeper to verify and find the specific model and/or weight capacity just to ensure you get the correct shock.
It is a Roadmaster Chassis. R3000. 30,000lbs. 4 shocks on the front. The shock that is on there now is a Monroe CL08TA1C. I don't get anything when I look them up but I want to change to a better shock. The coach has 70k miles on it. It porpoises a lot telling me the shocks are gone.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
I replaced mine last year and they are eye eye that slides over a stud on top and bolts through at the bottom. I don't know the part number but will try to get it off the shock. They were very hard to locate, apparently Bilstein no longer manufactures them and you need to find a retailer like shocks.com that has them in their warehouse. Mine cost about $80 each, and Source Engineering wanted $168 each.

If you could find the part number I would certainly appreciate that.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The shock with an eye at both ends is a 24-187312. The current model has a modified eyelet that is wider than the original. When you install it on the top stud, there is no room for the big washer that was on the original.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...12&_sacat=6000

http://www.ajusa.com/Bilstein-24-187...er-ab052f.html
Old 05-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
The shock with an eye at both ends is a 24-187312. The current model has a modified eyelet that is wider than the original. When you install it on the top stud, there is no room for the big washer that was on the original.

24-187312 in eBay Motors | eBay

Bilstein Monotube Shock Absorbers and Struts | 24-187312 | Bilstein
Thanks so much! Just ordered 4 of them from AJ USA ($303)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post
Thanks so much! Just ordered 4 of them from AJ USA ($303)
You're welcome. It won't take you long to replace the shocks, especially if you have an air gun.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement