RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Front tire Valve extenders

I have a 2003 Monaco La Palma Gas with the workhorse chassis. I just bought a TST tire pressure monitoring system. The front tire valve stems are inside the wheel cover and the sensors seem hard to install without adding an extender to get outside the wheel cover.

Looks like perhaps a 45 degree extender might be best. Will this be hard to thread to the valve stem. A straight extender would have be be longer than 2"

Any advice or experience with this situation would be appreciated.

d00425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I have had difficulty with valve extenders in the past, even though I purchased the higher quality ones recommended by TST. When I used 45* ones on my front tires to do exactly as you are contemplating, they leaked. And not right away either, but a while after initial install. One front tire completely depleted all air on me--luckly during the night after arriving at an RV park. When I used the straight extenders on the rear inside dualies, they didn't work well with my TST valve sensors. The TST sensor has to depress the valve in the extensions, and I think it takes too much force to activate both the extension spring valve AND the actual tire's spring valve. SO... I have eliminated the need for all extensions.

I recently had some tires installed on my RV and while I was there I had them turn my valve stems on my two outer tires from the rear axle, which were pointing inward. In the process, they also were able to bend them a small amount to have a cleaner install. They used a hollow metal tube to bend mine and took caution to support where the stem enters the wheel rim while bending, and made small frequent bends as opposed to one larger bend.

You may be able to bend your front wheel valve stems to a better arrangement? Just a thought..

Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
I would recommend trimming the wheel cover to allow the sensors to fit without extensions. Extensions are sometimes a "necessary evil" but I would try to avoid them if possible.
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #4

Those are what I use on my front tires. I have used extenders for 10 years without problems. However I am on my 3rd brand of tpms. I now use tire safeguard with flow through sensors and replaceable batteries. So far they have been the best performing...no programming, easy battery change. Better than TST.
http://www.amazon.com/Flow-Through-S...tire+safeguard
Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had problems with the extenders on the front of my coach too.

I like Supersteer's idea of opening the wheel cover hole a bit.

A Dremel tool would do the job nicely.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Just purchase valve extenders from Dually valves. Work great........Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

When I had the Allegro 36LA I simply removed the anti theft housing and the sensor fit right into the hub cap hole. That won't work of course if your using flow through sensors.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote