Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Front tire wear problems 98 Executive

I have a 1998 Executive and it keeps eating the inside of the front tires. Not at the same time though. First, after about 25,000 miles I noticed the passenger side tire loosing the inside rib with some uneven wear. Maybe like it was also an unbalance problem. The driver side showed no wear. I took it to Kaiser in Eugene, Oregon. They came highly recommended and had done previous work on the front end. They said there was very little wrong but did touch up the alignment a bit. They recommended a little more air pressure. I also had to replace that tire. I use Dana Beads for balance and can never feel any balance problem. Now after another 25,000 miles the drivers side is doing the same thing. It’s not quite as bad so yesterday I had the tire turned around on the rim and put in another fresh bag of beads.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do or were you able to get it fixed?

Thanks
Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

You didn't say what brand tires. If they are Goodyear G670's then that is a known problem called "rivering". If it is rivering then regardless of the brand tire you can't do anything to stop it other than switching brand. Did they check your rear axle alignment in relationship to the front axle. If the rear axle is out then it forces the front to crab and will wear the tires in a unusual pattern that looks like rivering.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #3

Mike,

The tires are Michelin. I've always prefered them for steering tires. Had some Dunlaps on the front for a while but moved them to the back as soon as I needed back tires. I think I'll have to take it back to the shop on the way north next month. We're in the Sacramento area now but will go thru Oregon.

Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #4

I agree that Michelins are the best and it is not characteristic of a Michelin to have a tire caused unuasual wear pattern. Wearing on the inside rib only can be caused by camber or toe in. Toe in normally shows on both tires. Also like I said if the rear axle is out of alignment with the front then it crabs and can wear the front tires. Yes, I would take it back. Let us know if you find the problem.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Larry,

I recommend you find a shop that can do a all wheel alignment. I understand that factory alignments may not be be very good. I had an all wheel alignment done on my 08 Contessa with a tag and was surprised of the problems I had with the drive and tag axles. After corrected the ride was much better. BTW, I had the alignment done for a very similar front tire wear problem.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote