Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Front wheel bearing lube

I pulled my front wheel center covers off thinking I would find oil baths for the bearings but instead there’s this cover. There is a rubber valve/cover in it. I pulled the center cover off to look. The rubber cover is like a one way check valve. Cover says to service with grease. Anyone have experience with these. Is the rubber check valve for inserting grease? If so,is there a special fitting for a grease gun to add grease? See the pic belowClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2210.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	202947
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mine are like that. I was told that they need to be taken apart and repacked like old conventional set ups. Was also told good to about 50k. Planning on changing over to wet hubs when that occurs.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting, I've never seen one like that, all my DP's have always been wet hubs with Stemco covers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
My 03 marquis is a greased hub. From what I’ve been told it cost about the same to pull apart and lube/ service as converting to a wet hub. 3-400 $? And no I don’t believe you insert grease you need to disassemble.
As was explained to me .. the solid grease hub has advantages for those who don’t drive much , the wet hubs are better in more constant use , like the busses and tractors the hubs come off of. But im only going off a truck shops comments.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
As was explained to me .. the solid grease hub has advantages for those who don’t drive much , the wet hubs are better in more constant use , like the busses and tractors the hubs come off of. But im only going off a truck shops comments.
Precisely what I have been told by multiple sources.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ok. Thanks guys. Looks like I will be repacking them, at least for now since we are hitting the road soon

Thanks for the input!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #7

I repacked mine last spring. I used a molly grease and now it will be good for at least
100,000 miles.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
I repacked mine last spring. I used a molly grease and now it will be good for at least
100,000 miles.
Any instructions to repacking? I've done a lot of hubs in my life, but nothing quite as large as my coach!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #9

I do big hubs the same way I do car hubs, clean out all the old grease and then pack
new grease into the bearings and put extra in the hub.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just have to ask, for those that have repacked their bearings. I have done many many autos but how tight do you tighten the nut, IE, tight and back off? Just wondering what others do? I'll do mine next week, just wondering?
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJScepter View Post
I just have to ask, for those that have repacked their bearings. I have done many many autos but how tight do you tighten the nut, IE, tight and back off? Just wondering what others do? I'll do mine next week, just wondering?
John G
I was a mechanic for 12 years long ago. 7 of those was on heavy equipment. I cant tell you how many bearings I packed and just tightened to a certain "feel" and never had a problem. That being said I packed mine last year and replaced the seals but did not feel comfortable just slapping it back together. I found a Stemco PDF on the correct way of setting them up which included how to check for play. It's not hard if you have the tools to get the wheel off. Just a greasy mess...lol. I can't find the PDF but if you Google it I am sure you can come up with something. I also read on a thread here once and someone posted a link. I could not find that when doing mine. Maybe someone can post that up. Good luck.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Here the adjustment procedure form the Dana-Spicer manual (for my axle).
Basically tighten the adjustment nut to 200 ft-lbs while turning the hub, then back off nut and re-tighten to 50 ft-lbs while rotating hub, then back off nut 1/3 turn.
There should be "end-play" (bearing in-out movement) of .001 to .005 inch when done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Bearign Adjustemnt _DanaE1462.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	203070  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #13

Look at the Technology and Maintenance Council’s or TMC RP-618 (Tapered Roller Bearing Adjustment Procedure). It provides step-by-step specifics.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I pulled my front wheel center covers off thinking I would find oil baths for the bearings but instead there’s this cover. There is a rubber valve/cover in it. I pulled the center cover off to look. The rubber cover is like a one way check valve. Cover says to service with grease. Anyone have experience with these. Is the rubber check valve for inserting grease? If so,is there a special fitting for a grease gun to add grease? See the pic belowAttachment 202947
What is the milage on the coach since last service? I did mine at about 75000 or so miles (1 time ) and they were in great shape and could have gone to 100,000 miles i believe.
The hub has a large belly or void that is full of grease that will have to be removed if you are going to oilers or oil hubs.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote