Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to throw out some info in favor of grease just to give another view. I service my coach every year which includes all new filters, oil and greasing. I've only done the wheel bearings once (at the 5 year mark), they're just not that big of an issue (IMHO). There are some coach owners who drive their rigs for ten years before greasing the bearings. You just don't hear about anyone ever having bearing issues on the DP's.

I once read and don't know how true it is, that oil hubs can be problematic for vehicles that are not used for long periods of time, like when they're be winterized. The writer stated that the oil can get thin/dry on the part of the bearing that is not submerged when the coach is parked for three months. The change in temps can cause moisture build up and then rust. Not enough rust to freeze the bearing, but enough to come off and contaminate the oil.

Lastly, if the oilers are installed, will the brakes ever get checked (even though they last a long time).

I packed mine once and it gave me a chance to inspect the bearings, brakes and seals. Now if you change to the oilers, the same opportunity will be there to inspect everything while the oilers are being installed and they'll easily be good for another five years.

Just some food for thought.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #16

Good thoughts Don but my tag axle comes with oilers from Monaco and have never had a problem in the winter. I do use Mobil 1 differential oil in them.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Don, I asked that question when I was Josam's in Orlando. Consensus was that it would have to set for a year or more before even starting to be a problem. Since I take mine out for a drive every 30 days, that will never be a problem for me.

However, I am like you and like the greased bearing. I had them do it when I had the alignment checked. Good opportunity to check out the brakes, rotors, etc.

I also read a while back that someone had a concern about fire from an overheated bearing and that oil would fire up quicker than grease. Not sure I can agree with that as that kind of heat is going to fire up most petroleum products in my opinion. Also, I haven't seen any 18 wheelers fired up lately and they all use the oil bath. I think I may have chosen the oil bath if I had the choice originally but for now I am more than pleased with the greased bearings.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #18

Wheelingit,

Check with www.kaiserbrakealignment.com/ in Eugene. About all they do is heavy duty and motor home front end work.

Seems the url doesn't work, google keiser in Eugene.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
Wheelingit,

Check with www.kaiserbrakealignment.com/‎ in Eugene. About all they do is heavy duty and motor home front end work.

Seems the url doesn't work, google keiser in Eugene.
Thanks! I'll find them!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We need to address our wheel bearings this year. Just wondering *where* you go to get this done? The few places I asked didn't do it. Any specific recommendations in Eugene or Grants Pass OR?
We had our wet kit installed at Cummins in Coburg, Oregon. The price was roughly double what just getting them repacked would cost. That was two years ago...no problem since. We have been happy with the work they did.
bmcfaror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
If I were doing 100-200K miles a year, like the professional truckers, I would definately have the oil bath system. But repacking standard bearings once a year is a good excuse to check everything else that is hanging on that axle at the same time, and all it takes is one time for an oiler to leak and the resultant hassle (not to mention potential serious damage if the owner is less than diligent) and you may weigh the cost/benefit in favor of annual bearing checking/repacking.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcfaror View Post

We had our wet kit installed at Cummins in Coburg, Oregon. The price was roughly double what just getting them repacked would cost. That was two years ago...no problem since. We have been happy with the work they did.
Thanks Brett. Another good recommendation.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skier View Post
If I were doing 100-200K miles a year, like the professional truckers, I would definately have the oil bath system. But repacking standard bearings once a year is a good excuse to check everything else that is hanging on that axle at the same time, and all it takes is one time for an oiler to leak and the resultant hassle (not to mention potential serious damage if the owner is less than diligent) and you may weigh the cost/benefit in favor of annual bearing checking/repacking.
My main issue is there is no way for us to repack these bearings by ourselves. At least I have no experience nor the jacks/space to do the work. So repacking once a year is not really feasible except If we pay the $. We're fulltimers so I figure oil bearings will get their workout? Then again we only drive around 3000 miles per year, so maybe not? Repacking once a year seems a lot if we stick with grease.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I honestly can't see why anyone would want to repack the bearings at 30,000 or once a year unless you are driving 100,000, I went to oilers at close to 70,000 miles and our front bearings were in great shape and the grease could have made a lot more miles. I will guarantee you the 18 wheelers do not repack their bearings at 50,000 miles.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
So much for "OILERS"........deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
If you look at Mike's first reference, check out the service interval for greased bearings. 120k miles for long haul, 60k for vocational. Yes there is a time limit, 1 year and 6 months.

I have a bit of an alignment issue so along with ride height, and alignment I will have the bearings repacked.

YMMV
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
When I worked in the bus industry we stayed with or in some cases converted to grease because if you lost an oil seal you would be stuck on the side of the road where as a grease seal would usually only weep. I would agree that oil is superior lubricant but in reality how many seal/wheel bearings failures do motorhomes have?
Dennit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Good thoughts Don but my tag axle comes with oilers from Monaco and have never had a problem in the winter. I do use Mobil 1 differential oil in them.
X2
The change from grease to oil costs slightly more than repacking, thereafter hub maitainance is a easy DIY project....(the original hubs on my Safari front hubs are the oil bath type).

Every few years, (25k miles), I use a Harbor Freight oil suction gun: Oil Suction Gun - Save on this Suction Gun at Harbor Freight
to suck out as much of the oil as disposable and refill them with Lucas Hub Oil:
Lucas Hub Oil : Lucas Oil.
Mel
'96 Sahara, 131k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote