Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

Front Windows coming out.

May be an old subject. For the past couple of years the two front windows have been coming out. They are out of their weather striping that goes around the glass. I'm told the coach has changed and the hole for the windows is now larger. Would need a lot of work to get back in shape to hold the new striping and windows. ??

Looks to me like if just a new striping was placed in with a good window glue that would work.

There is one space on the lower drivers side front window I can stick my fingers thru.

Interested in ANY comments.

Rig is a 38' Monaco Dynasty, 1996.
mlhusmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
The gap between the window glass and fiberglass has to be exact. Only way to fix is to take out the glass and see what that clearance is.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
From your description, I'm not really sure where your windows are coming out from. Is the glass moving in the frame or is the frame with the glass in it coming out of the sidewall of your coach?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

mlhusmann--

I think folks are not sure if you are talking about the side windows near the front of your coach, or your windshield. If it is the latter, I have experienced that on a 93 Dynasty, and a truly expert fix can be quite a daunting task. Clarify your problem for us, and you may be able to get some useful suggestions.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:22 AM   #5

the two front windows

As stated in the original message ..... the two front windows. Not side windows, but the two front windows. Or, the ones that the windshield wipers run on..... the two front windows.
mlhusmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem. the only fix is to remove both sides and reseal.
I went to Duncan in Elkhart Ind.. The windshield tech actually worked at Monaco when ours was made.
He pulled the glass, and needed to trim a small part of the fiberglass
flange, so the glass would fit in the opening properly.
Cost was fair they let us hookup and spend the night to allow the
sealant to set.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #7

When your WINDSHIELDS have that problem, the cause on pre-2000 Monaco's is often more than can be fixed by simply removing the W/S and re-installing it.

I repaired the problem on my 93 Dynasty. Basically, if your windshields suffer from nothing but an installation in which the sealant was never applied to the INSIDE lip of the pinchweld, they can be re-seated successfully. A significant number of coaches, however, suffer from the fact that the center support was inadequately installed and insufficiently braced, and is frankly a joke as far as supporting the center of the W/S opening. Generally, what happens is that the center section of the roof cap sags and "bows out" the sides. (Imagine the windshields being removed and pushing down on the top of the opening in the center.) That was the case with my previous coach.

Although many owners have had the windshields re-seated repeatedly because of that problem, nothing is permanently successful other than reinforcing the center support AND its attachment points, then re-shaping the opening to fit the windshields. Repairing and reinforcing the center support will generally solve the fit problems with respect to height. The side pillars may very well require fiberglass work to bring them inward to fit the windshield.

You will face the problem that the vast majority of glass shops will have no experience with fixing the problem and will attempt to dissuade you from doing so, electing only to re-seat the windshield. That might work temporarily, but if the windshield opening is not correctly sized, the windshields will once again work themselves loose. There are a few RV body shops familiar with fixing the problem, but it is quite expensive. If you are not capable of fixing it yourself, the cost will likely be more than you are willing to pay. $4000 is not an unusual number for all the fiberglass work and re-seating the W/S.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil R View Post
I had the same problem. the only fix is to remove both sides and reseal.
I went to Duncan in Elkhart Ind.. The windshield tech actually worked at Monaco when ours was made.
He pulled the glass, and needed to trim a small part of the fiberglass
flange, so the glass would fit in the opening properly.
Cost was fair they let us hookup and spend the night to allow the
sealant to set.
Phil, what's reasonable?

I've been quoted over $800 to reinstall my one piece windshield...
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Castrol... In the Eklhart area I was quoted as high as $2,500. Duncan estimated
in the $500 area, price really varies. What's scary is they all can't promise the windshield won't break. That would raise the cost a lot.

Tags
window