Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Frozen water line

Camped at Angel Fire New Mexico. Pretty cold. Water at kitchen sink, no cold water? Have hot water there, no cold. Bathrooms, shower have hot and cold. Water bay and house filter temp at 45 degrees. (7 outside now) Any idea where the line to kitchen sink could be located? Under sink is open and 65 degrees. Thank in advance of any advice. Always a great place for info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Any cabinets that have water lines in them need to be open at night when below freezing. I have a 200w heater in the water bay and another in back of the residential fridge.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First i'd not worry about it. It will thaw, likely by the time you read this.

now, without knowing the lay out of your RV I will describe mine and where it froze.

Wet bays are "Through" bays, Fresh tank on one end, black/gray on other
under the Fresh is a string (about 270 watts by estimate) of the large 'outdoor' type Christmas lights.. all clear, C-9s
in the waste valve area is a 100 watt lamp
All on a thermostat (a second thermostat handles the water hose)

On the "Curb" side is the fresh tank, sink, water pump and heater

The "Driver's side' has the half bath and the water lines to the main line (all inside)

The lines from the water pump to the Half bath run in the enclosed Wet Bay.. the cold line froze roughly in the middle (The coldest part of the bay)_.

Thawed in teh AM and all was good. but overnight I only had hot water exclusive of the kitchen.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

I would turn of the pump until it's thawed just in case you cracked the pipe. It will save
a mess
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tom if your 40dft is similar to my 43dft then your water lines are exposed under the full wall slide. That is where I would look to find where it is froze.
I had my dealer install heat tape and wrap the lines with pipe insulation when we bought ours. I also wrap the lines with reflective thermofoil insulation when it gets that cold. (Have to remove to pull in the slides)

The reflective thermofoil insulation alone may allow you to survive a cold night with the hot water line being able to keep things warm.

For now if still frozen take a hair dryer and warm the line enough to get it flowing.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #6

On the '06 Dynasty, the front half of the "wet bay" has the AquaHot on the passenger side and the Manabloc, power cord system, hose reel, pump, filters and surge tank on the driver side. In the back half, it has the gray and black on top and fresh on the bottom, full width of the coach, less about 10" on each end.

The fresh water lines, both hot and cold, punch up thru the floor on both sides of the coach, outboard of the frame rails thru the ceiling of the wet bay. They enter the "living area" of the coach above the floor, but under the false floor or drawer sections in the cabinets. They then run "north/south" as needed, under the cupboard floors to their point of use. In the Countess III, there is a little "tunnel" that runs between the commode and the wall to get from under the vanity to the shower, and that could be a particularly vulnerable section.

Pull out any bottom drawer, or lift the false floor in any cupboard, grab a flashlight and maybe a mirror, and you'll learn a lot about the plumbing and electrical construction techniques used in the Monaco lines of coaches.

The pipes above the flooring and under the cabinets are insulated from the INSIDE of the coach by the false floors and the doors on the cupboards, and from the cold OUTSIDE world only by the thickness of the floor. There is not any appreciable insulation on the bottom surface of the floor, outside of the frame rails.

Knock on wood, but we've experienced single digit temperatures a handful of times, and never had a line freeze. But we've probably come pretty close. I would agree with commenters above that leaving the cupboard doors open in extreme cold would be a good precaution. Personally, i probably wouldn't do it as long as the coach is kept at living temperatures, unless the OAT was expected to drop into the mid teens or below. I would expect the temperatures in those areas to be maybe half way between the living area temperature and the outside air temperature (OAT).
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
1st time camping in this cold weather. Faired pretty well considering the temps. As stated, line thawed and all is well. Heading to warmer weather tomorrow. When back home will spend some time locating and insulating. I have two heaters in the wet bay, and even at 7 degrees, they kept bay above 45 degrees. Thanks for the advice, always appreciated. As I tell herself "always and adventure"!!!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #8

It was -6 last night and nothing froze. I have a 98 Dynasty and I did a lot of insulating
to get it so it would be fine at at this temperature. I hope I don't repeat that temperature
as it is colder than I want to ski.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #9

One solution that worked for me in really cold temperatures was to put a small heat lamp under the full wall slide where the water lines are exposed. Just make sure you don't place it too close to the plastic that encases the water lines or it could melt the plastic. My full wall slide does have exposed water lines when extended and found out the hard way but there was no damage. The water lines used there are "pex" type and can generally with stand being frozen and later thawed but don't want to test that very often.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Long Island Mac came across this post and thought I would bump it to see if you had checked into this, as to what happened.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water