Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Frozen water line

Left Long Island 1 January. I have (1) 12 volt heater in the wet bay driver side. I have (1) 110 heater in the other side of the wet bay, where the filter is located (froze once and cracked) I have (1) 110 heater with the fresh water tank. I also have three remote temp sensors that I can monitor from home or the RV. Temps near heaters were always above 40 degrees +. Single digits for 8 days, no water at sinks. On the afternoon of day 8, temps went to 45/50. water all over. Where are the lines that froze?? how can I prevent this for next winter trip away from Long Island?? any help ,as always here on IRV2, greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Move to Arizona & your freezing problems will go away -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #3

Was there zero heat inside the coach - like under sinks? Do you have resid refrig with ice maker? Single digits for 8 days without heat where water is present i.e. Water lines to sinks most likely will freeze. Heating only the bays is not enough.
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

Ditto on Arizona or west coast.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #5

In our '06 Dynasty, all three tanks as well as the incoming line, AquaHot, hot and cold manifold, pump and pressure tank are in one pass thru bay under the coach. There is a heat exchanger in there that is served by the AquaHot on zone 2, to keep it safe. The hot and cold lines to the use points in the coach leave that compartment and pass up thru the floor of the coach into the regions between the main coach floor deck and the floors of the cabinets and cupboards. They then punch up thru those floors under the sinks, toilet, washer, etc. In our coach, you can lift the upholstered flooring of all of the cabinets, and you can pull any bottom cupboard drawers to gain access to the water lines.

The problem is that the lines are insulated from the outside world by the walls and the floor of the coach (over unheated areas underneath), which really aren't all that well insulated considering the structural heat conducting paths. Unfortunately, they are also insulated from the heated interior of the coach by the kick panels under the cupboards and the flooring in the cabinets. So it is a horserace as to whether the heat from the inside is sufficient to overcome the heat loss to the outside, to keep them from freezing in those areas under the cabinets and cupboards. But if you have a leak that is not coming from the wet bay, I would start pulling out bottom drawers and lifting the "flooring" in the cupboards to see what is going on.

You can fairly easily keep sufficient heat in the wet bay, and in the areas under the sinks and such, but the areas under the cabinets are at some risk.

Good luck. It sounds like you have a mess. On the plus side, I think PEX is somewhat resilient to freezing. Certainly very many freeze-thaw cycles will probably result in failure, but hopefully you can get away with a time or two. But the brass or other metallic fittings on the corners, tees and valves are very easily damaged by freezing.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Left Long Island 1 January. I have (1) 12 volt heater in the wet bay driver side. I have (1) 110 heater in the other side of the wet bay, where the filter is located (froze once and cracked) I have (1) 110 heater with the fresh water tank. I also have three remote temp sensors that I can monitor from home or the RV. Temps near heaters were always above 40 degrees +. Single digits for 8 days, no water at sinks. On the afternoon of day 8, temps went to 45/50. water all over. Where are the lines that froze?? how can I prevent this for next winter trip away from Long Island?? any help ,as always here on IRV2, greatly appreciated.
My guess is that a water line in the wall, floor, or a cabinet that is starved for heat froze. With 8 straight days of single digit heat, the outside walls of the coach and the cabinet areas attached directly are going to get below freezing unless you have the interior of the coach well heated. I think when you find the source of the frozen water line you will have your answer. In cold weather keep the cabinet doors to that area or any area that has water lines open so heat from the interior of the coach can warm the area.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #7

Tom-

On our coach, some of the piping is almost impossible to reach for repair; a leak in those areas would ruin my day.

The most effective way to prevent freezing is to winterize the water lines/equipment and not use them until temperatures are reliably above freezing. Sometimes this means winterizing (or re-winterizing) your coach on the road. The alternative is to move until you get to warmer weather, as others have suggested.

We carry winterization tools and at least a couple gallons of antifreeze with us when we plan to go through areas that might suddenly turn cold. We delay de-winterization, if necessary. We carry water in jugs for drinking, washing and flushing.

We've been known to stay at a motel with the winterized coach outside. That gives us access to showers and a warmer bedroom than we'd have in the coach.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Frozen water lines

Thanks to all. Heat inside was 68-70 during trip. Cabinets open. Think I'll take some anti freeze next year . Thanks to all, and Bob!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck and let us know where your leak(s) are once you solve them
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have had luck (so far) with just blowing out the lines and dumping some antifreeze in the p traps, toilets, and holding tanks...
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One thing I found useful in the years is using a few fans to circulate (warmed) air into all the spaces with water lines.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

You never said where the water was coming from. The ice maker line was the most exposed water line in my rig, so I drained it. I use my rig all winter for skiing so I have
done major insulating especially around the wet bay and I put a heater in the wet bay
that runs off the engine heat.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ice maker line could be a culprit if you still have an absorption fridge and vent on the side of the coach. Only part of that water line likely has heat tape on it, prior to the water valve it's all exposed, when I still had my norcold I wrapped this all up in insulation and also blocked the bottom 2/3rd's of the vent with house insulation. No issue with it in below 0.

Other than that not sure. It was -8 here the other night, nothing froze. My aqua hot is smoking and fluttering some, I think fuel is at cloud point and starting to plug filter even though I am heating the filter and double dosed on antigel. I need to invest in tank heat, or move.

I did have one freezing issue this year with water, and it was due to bad fitting door/weather stripping on the wet bay door, pax side. The hose going from bottom of fresh tank thru the wall to the pump is on the floor and near the door, there was an eighth inch gap in the seal there, it froze one night and my pump was going non stop, which I think pumping dry for so long ruined a couple things in it's pump head as it is not the same as it was in flow or pressure. I have several things to overhaul come spring now...

Anyway hope you get things sorted, cold weather sucks.

Tags
water