Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #1

Frustration with leaking near slideout!

I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral that leaks water when it rains. A good amount of water collects on the carpet right on the north side of the bedroom slideout. I have tried everything to fix this and I can't find where the water is coming in. I have had a "Pro-Tek" done on it (pressurize the unit to find water leaks) and it showed a few weak spots that needed caulking (which I did) but nothing specific to the slide. I then had another shop check the bulb seal on the slide and they said no problems I am getting a tight seal. I have thoroughly checked the roof and used Eternabond around all seams.

The weird thing is that it leaks whether the slide is in or out.

What would you do? I am extremely concerned about my floor rotting from all of the water. I am collecting about a Qt of water every time it rains. I have a cover but that doesn't help me when I want to actually use my RV.

Thanks for any advice!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenson View Post
I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral that leaks water when it rains. A good amount of water collects on the carpet right on the north side of the bedroom slideout. I have tried everything to fix this and I can't find where the water is coming in. I have had a "Pro-Tek" done on it (pressurize the unit to find water leaks) and it showed a few weak spots that needed caulking (which I did) but nothing specific to the slide. I then had another shop check the bulb seal on the slide and they said no problems I am getting a tight seal. I have thoroughly checked the roof and used Eternabond around all seams.

The weird thing is that it leaks whether the slide is in or out.

What would you do? I am extremely concerned about my floor rotting from all of the water. I am collecting about a Qt of water every time it rains. I have a cover but that doesn't help me when I want to actually use my RV.

Thanks for any advice!
Hi Khenson,

Have you tightened the bolts on the A/C units? There is a rubber seal that seals the unit from leakage and shrinks as it ages. I'd tighten the 4 bolts from the inside of a/c by taking off the interior plastic face.
This could be done every 3 plus years.
Water leaks travel strange routes so don't discount this suggestion.
I'd also make sure the roof vents are water tight.

Steve

Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

I don't ever discount any advice from a General!

I will do just as you suggest...thanks!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenson View Post
I don't ever discount any advice from a General!

I will do just as you suggest...thanks!

Not a military General but a nickname bestowed upon me by the employees before retirement and became part of my email address.
So, you can now ignore my advice!

Steve
Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi,
I have '08 imperial with same issues. Two fixes so far, outside awning had gap in the caulking, that was easy. Did,nt work. Also found that the screws holding the windows in were to long and had actually pierced the water channel on the outside of frame and let water run down the wall and onto the floor also loosening the wallpaper. I shortened the screws,resealed all, so far seems to be good. I will check ac units, just to be sure on mine, that never occurred to me! Hope this helps. Gary

08 Holiday Rambler, 06 Jeep Wrangler rubicon,00 Harley Ultra
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #6

I had an hr with slide leak had a gasket across bottom so when slide was closed no place for water to get out notch both sides problem solve when closed when opened installed cups under side gaskets so when water came down them it came out not in it took a couple of rains with a flash light to see what was happening.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If it leaks with the slide either open or closed I would be looking at something other than the slide. The air conditioner would be a good place to start. Since you say you have used eternabond on all the seams start looking at things like screws around roof fittings, solar panels etc.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #8

My 04 HR leak open or closed if it rained it leak. I had to find the problem after pressure test did not show anything.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #9

When the slide is in, does the carpet get wet in the same spot or does it move in with the slide? There are seams on the outer face of slide ( painted surface) the caulking is clear and there could be small gaps in the caulking which will allow water to enter the box of slide whether it is in or out. Had this problem and solved it easily with some clear caulking.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

My takeaway from the responses: It could be coming in from anywhere. I will check the suggested trouble spots and see what I can fix.

Rooster: I am not sure what "gaskets" you are referring to...might you have a picture of this??

Monacoach: Yes, I did caulk the slide out flange as you suggest

sparkydog: Same thing, might you have a picture of the area you are suggesting? I don't see where screws on my windows are even near a water channel.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #11
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Another possibility and one a friend found on his coach is where the slide out awning is attached to the slide. The screws were never caulked. He had the awning removed and everything under it caulked and then reinstalled. Fixed the leak.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I've been having a similar, if not the same, thing with my '06 Camelot. It's the curb side bedroom slideout on the front lower corner. Actually I think I have, or had, two different problems. One I found was a gap in the caulking at the top outer part of the slide. The area is on the inside of the slide where it meets the roof of the slide. The one I labeled 1. I re-caulked with some new semi/leveling caulking/sealer. This seemed to cure part of my leak problem.

The other I'm still fighting with. Like you, I can't say for sure where the water's getting in at. I'm attaching a drawing I made showing what I'm referring to.

On the points I labeled "Possible Leak Area" these are where I noticed water collecting and they don't look like they have good enough sealant, or the sealant is cracking.

As far as the bulb seal at the bottom inside, it appears this bulb seal isn't up against the bottom of the slide like it should be. I've tried everything to reduce the amount of water and where the water goes as it's running down the side of the slide. So far I'm not sure how to fix it yet, but I'll get it figured out. If anybody has any ideas let me know.

I almost forgot to mention, it also leaks with the slide in. At least it did. I may have cured that problem, but not sure yet because it hasn't rained enough to tell.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Khenson,
The aluminum frames on the windows are extruded and formed. On the inside of the coach are screws that actually pull the window frame into the body of the coach to hold it in place. The water channel I was referring to is part of the outside of that window extrusion. It carries water away from the slide portion of that window. The screws are self drilling/tapping type screws. In my case they were long enough they pierced that outer part of the window and let wash water, rain, etc. into the wall opening. I had to completely remove the window and start over by sealing the channel, shortening the screws and reinstalling. Big job! Hope this helps.

08 Holiday Rambler, 06 Jeep Wrangler rubicon,00 Harley Ultra
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #14

Well after 4 trips to Stoltzfus RV in Pennsylvania (3 hr roundtrip) I still have not been able to fix my leak. They sent me home Saturday convinced they had finally fixed it. It rained last night and leaked.

They first thought it was awning screws...replaced them.
They then thought it was a busted slideout cable...replaced it.
They also thought it was the outside entertainment center...sealed it.
Then it was the screws at the other end of the awning...replaced them.
Then it was the slide seal not grabbing properly as the slide opened and closed...fixed that.

They claim the bulb seal is sealing properly.

Ever get to a point where you ask yourself, why did I buy this thing? I'm there.