Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
No I'm not confusing the two cards. My PenFed card takes out what I owe them at the end of the month just like my Flying J card does. That is the way mine are set up. Yours might be set up different. When I'm on the road I like all my bills paid automatically. deSanford PS My financial vice president pays all other bills.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
No I'm not confusing the two cards. My PenFed card takes out what I owe them at the end of the month just like my Flying J card does. That is the way mine are set up. Yours might be set up different. When I'm on the road I like all my bills paid automatically. deSanford PS My financial vice president pays all other bills.
My apologies for my misunderstanding.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #31

I use the Good Sam Pilot/Flying J card to get the discount. Mine s not a debit card. Then I pay for the fuel with my PenFed card. So, I get both discounts.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used the penfed card for a number of years now. There are two PenFed cards available, be sure you get the right one that gives you "cash" back off of your credit card bill each month. This is the 5% where you swipe the card at the pumps (gas or diesel). You are participating in a credit union with an established account, this is where the card is generated from. You can then set up auto deduction at the end of each month from whatever bank source you choose. When you get your monthly statement online, you will see the discount for the 5% on the bill.
The other card is set up different and I don't have the details but it is not the full 5% at the pump card that pays you back at the end of the month. I think it is reward based. Also, for those of you who use Sam's Club for fuel, you swipe your Sam's Club card and then decline Sam's Club payment and pick other credit card. You then swipe the PenFed Visa and get the 5% discount.
Yes, it can change at any time and when I first started using it, it did include 3% for groceries but that is long gone as far as I know. Periodically, they will also offer discounts up to 3% at specific business categories like "restaurants", "home repair stores", etc. Has been a great card for us, hope they can keep it going for a while.

And....it wasn't too long ago that we were even able to convince deSanford to convert to the PenFed Card http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/flyi...ns-149434.html
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #33
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I read through this old post and saw that "billsmax" had PenFed increase the number of swipes he can make at the pump. He said he now can make up to 10 swipes. This made me curious so I called PenFed. They explained that you can make 10 swipes a DAY, not at one time. Apparently, the amount of times you can swipe at a pump is limited by the insurance company that guarantees credit card purchases at each station. If you could actually swipe the card 10 times at the same location, you couldn't limit fraud.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I tried my PenFed card at Pilot/FlyingJ and had to take the card inside so I didn't get the discount. Depending on where you are the advertised price might be for the commercial vehicles so I have given up on Pilot/FJ. 5% is at or about 20 cents a gallon. Usually I can get at least 3 swipes with card at the pump and then I have to take the card inside to the cashier if I want more. I called PenFed and they said they had no control over that part. As said earlier it is a little bit of a hassel and can be somewhat difficult manuevering but if I can use the Card and get a Safeway discount for having shopped there it really helps.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Yes after Barlow46 told me about PenFed I haven't used my Flying J card. Interesting about what JohnFreyja said about having to go into the Flying J in order to use the PenFed card. I also had that experience so I guess I didn't get my 5% discount. No more Flying Js for me. Just got a new cell phone a "htc one" for my Verizon account. Now I have to load it with all my fuel apps. Gas Buddy is one of them. Safeway in Florence, Ore. had the lowest diesel price at $3.67 a gallon on my last trip up North. Sorry if I am off topic. deSanford
Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just got my new PenFed Cash Rewards Visa card. I plan to use it for all my gas and diesel purchases. The 5% is a GREAT discount in my book!

One thing to be careful of...PenFed has TWO rebates Visa cards. The one I got is called the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa card. It gives 5% rebates on fuel and only .25% on other purchases. That rebate on fuel will go on indefinitely. The other one, I think it was called a "signature" card, is giving 5% rebates on fuel now, but that will end in October (according to what Customer Service told me). It has a higher rebate on other types of purchases.

I have a MasterCard that gives me 1% cash rebates on ALL purchases, and every quarter they give 5% on certain purchases. I will use this card on all purchases except fuel so I get 4 times the rebate on other things. Works for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
The information on this web-site pays for itself. deSanford Thank you everyone who has made my life more enjoyable.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #38

In the last last few days going across Ohio and into Illinois, Loves, TA and FJ were $3.99/4.05 cash/credit while other stations right next door were $3.79 cash or credit. That is 5% just at the cash price! And RVs were lined up to get the higher price. Wut? You know where I bought.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think Loves, P/FJ are way out there when it comes to their diesel prices. I did get a P/FJ credit card but I doubt I will be using it any time soon.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Talked to PenFed and I opened a 6 mo. certificate of deposit and now I'm a Plus + card holder. No they don't send you a new card. I will still use my Platinum card for my fuel purchases. They agreed to take the $1,000.00 out of my checking account (same one that they withdraw money each month to pay my fuel charges). At the end of the 182 day period I will receive a check from PenFed ($1,000.00) plus all the interest it occurred (.30%). Now I will continue to receive 5% savings on my fuel purchases. Otherwise it would go down to 3% plus a yearly fee. So it is worth loaning them $1,000.00 for 182 days to save 5% off my fuel costs. Your situation might be different. deSanford
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #41
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Talked to PenFed and I opened a 6 mo. certificate of deposit and now I'm a Plus + card holder. No they don't send you a new card. I will still use my Platinum card for my fuel purchases. They agreed to take the $1,000.00 out of my checking account (same one that they withdraw money each month to pay my fuel charges). At the end of the 182 day period I will receive a check from PenFed ($1,000.00) plus all the interest it occurred (.30%). Now I will continue to receive 5% savings on my fuel purchases. Otherwise it would go down to 3% plus a yearly fee. So it is worth loaning them $1,000.00 for 182 days to save 5% off my fuel costs. Your situation might be different. deSanford
I have the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa - the 5% cash is really great except paying at the pump I can only pump $85 - $100. Some will allow to use it twice - a big inconvenience, to say the least!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
srh I think it depends on the gas station software. I sometimes go inside and they ask me how much credit I want to put on the card. I always tell them to put more on it then I think I need, and then any extra (credit) they credit back to my PenFed account in 48 hours or less. I guess you could get by with 2 swipes at the pump if you filled up before you got to the "E". deSanford

Tags
fuel