Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Fuel Conditioners????

Hi folks, I need your advice about fuel conditioner added to diesel fuel. I have an ISL 400hp with 28K miles. I have been advised I need Lucas upper cylinder lubricant. This is also is supposed to be good for Aqua Hot injector system as well. One quart of this Lucas treatment is for 100 gallons.
I am just not sure if I need this stuff or any of the others I see at diesel truck stops. The additives seem to make a lot of claims about better fuel milage and other wonderful effects. One thing on the Lucas bottle that they claim is "Neutralizes poor quality fuel". If I buy fuel at the major truck stops is it likely I would recieve poor quality fuel?
I don't want to throw my money away or harm a low milage engine with some additive I don't need.
The Goose
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

All the major diesel engine companies all state not to add additives to the fuel and that it is not required. I have to believe that they want you to think it improves MPG and performance so they can make money. On my many trips I have tried with and without fuel additives as a test on MPG and have never seen a valid increase. Agreed it is hard to measure MPG accurately because of changes in weather and roads but never have seen anything that I would call a valid increase. I agree that if you are buying fuel from a major truck stop then the chances of getting bad fuel are slim to none. I would think those truck drivers would be real pissed if they got bad fuel and would pass it on real fast. The only thing that has happened to me was getting black slime in my tank because either I live in a high humidity area (but I always store with my tank full) or it may have been caused by the previous owner. I now always store the motor home with a shot of BioBor JF in it.

Stop and compute out how much of a MPG increase you would need to offset the cost of a quart of Lucas fuel treatment. I bet if you don't see a MPG and if you did then is it enough to pay for the quart of Lucas youth elixiar.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #3

Thanks Mr. Mike. You make perfect sense to me. I have not heard of any significant mpg increase from the people who told me I need this stuff. One guys said "It has to be good...just look at all the fuel treatments at the diesel truck stops." One guy who insists this is the greatist stuff has a generator that won't start and the Aqua Hot belching black smoke.
Thanks for your input Mike.
The Goose
Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #4

I agree. Additives are just money makers for the manufacturer of the products.

"Cigarettes must be good for you, too. Just look at them in all of the stores."
Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Larry.......I also did not put much stock in using additives until a read the report on this website Opti-Lube Advanced Lubricants . Read the Diesel Magazine article about diesel lubricity. I use the OptiLube XPD.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I would just offer that on a recent trip home from Mississippi my engine started to misfire under load. Had it checked at a freightliner dealer that was certified by Cummins and they found a bad fuel filter and changed it. Problem was almost fixed but still not right and I used some Lucas and misfire went away. I have also used it on a gas engine for what I believe was water and it cured this also.
I agree that regular use does not make good sense but when having a problem it is worth a try
Mike D
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #7

Fuel conditioner reference

I read an article on the powershop blog that discussed fuel additives relative to our (then) newly mandated ultra low sulfer diesel fuel.

Here is a link : The Power Shop - Tech Information » Blog Archive » Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel - Part I

One thing to remember is that different engine ( injector system ) designs will have different sensitivities to things like reduced lubricity and water contamination. I was concerned about these issues and spoke with the owner of Collins Diesel Injection in Stockton, Ca ( A Stanadyne dealer ) and he explained that the injector pump in my Cummins Common Rail system is quite robust and relatively insensitive to problems caaused by ULS Diesel.

Happy Camping !

Jim
jamorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #8

While at the truck pumps, I have asked quite a truck drivers what fuel additives they use. Every one that I have asked has said "None." A couple of company drivers told me that their employers prohibit them from putting anything other than diesel fuel in their tanks.

I have never added anything to the tanks of diesels that I have owned, except when we park for an extended period on the Oregon coast I add a biocide.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #9

Mr. Dave, I agree you are right on. I have a friend in Texas that has many FedEX trucks running day and night. He does NOT add anything to his trucks fuel...just diesel at a large truck stop.
The Goose