RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

Fuel gauge not correct

2004 Knight 38PPD

my fuel gauge is not reading correctly, i topped off twice on my trip and the gauge reads under 3/4 tank. it also seems to drop really fast. I only had to add 20 gallons before my 2nd top off and the gauge was reading less than half, not only that i lost my generator at that level.

is this a sending unit issue? bad gauge? and how do i adjust the pickup for generator, i dont want to loose it so early

Smaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #2

Inaccurate fuel gauges are common. When my coach has a full tank, it reads slightly over 3/4. It also goes down quicker than it should. I tend to ignore it and rely on my odometer instead. I'm not sure if there is any way of adjusting it. Maybe someone else on this site knows how to do that.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

Monaco used Centroid electronic tank senders they are not a float type .
They seem to go bad after a few yrs and need replacing .
I replaced mine a few yrs ago after fiddling with it repeatedly .
Centroid is very customer friendly and will help you with diagnosis .
The sender is easy to replace its held in by about 6 screws , sits right on top
of the tank .

CENTROID PRODUCTS

I now have a different problem where when I turn on the lights the fuel gauge
drops . I'm sure that is a ground issue at the gauge .

Before condemning the gauge how certain are you about the gallons .
The gen should not stop when down by only 20 gals .
Are you sure it was full at 20 gal or maybe the pump just kicked off
Some time my coach is leaning the wrong way and it wont take fuel as it should .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I question that the fuel gauge is wrong since the generator ran out of fuel at what seems to be about the right place as recorded by the gauge.
Could it be that the tank is 'burping' fuel up the fill hose and shutting off the handle? Have you tried putting in more fuel after the handle shuts off and/or filling the tank slower?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Dash Guages

RamiDav

Run a separate ground from light switch (metal part) to the frame

This cured all my funky gauges

Colin
Colin Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jarvis View Post
RamiDav

Run a separate ground from light switch (metal part) to the frame

This cured all my funky gauges

Colin
Yes that's the plan . Just can't seem to get around to it .

To old & to busy or maybe to lazy , naw can't be that , I'll go with to busy .

Ray
Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I question that the fuel gauge is wrong since the generator ran out of fuel at what seems to be about the right place as recorded by the gauge.
Could it be that the tank is 'burping' fuel up the fill hose and shutting off the handle? Have you tried putting in more fuel after the handle shuts off and/or filling the tank slower?

I second this^^.

Without knowing the OP's experience with the MH, my suspicion and personal experience support the idea that he really hasn't filled his tank. The "burping" or blow-back is quite common on various MHs, especially if using the high volume nozzles.

Assuming he has a 100 gal. tank that is reading below 1/2 full, he would need 50 gal. to fill. The nozzle shuts off after 20 gal, leaving 30 gal. remaining to truly fill the tank. That would make a typical gauge show ~3/4 full, which his does.

Hopefully the OP will post some more details and tell us how often he has filled his rig, if he stopped filling after the automatic shut-off, and if it's possible that blow-back is the issue.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
2004 Knight 38PPD

my fuel gauge is not reading correctly, i topped off twice on my trip and the gauge reads under 3/4 tank. it also seems to drop really fast. I only had to add 20 gallons before my 2nd top off and the gauge was reading less than half, not only that i lost my generator at that level.

is this a sending unit issue? bad gauge? and how do i adjust the pickup for generator, i dont want to loose it so early
Not sure if this will help, but when I was new to my 2004 Monaco Dynasty and refueling, I would just get out, start the pump and maybe put a bit more in after the nozzle clicked off and the gauge would read full but more commonly a bit below the full mark. Now when I refuel say on the left side (MH has a filler on both sides) I let the air out of the right airbags and tilt the MH a few degrees to the right. After filling the gauge will read above the full mark and takes quite a few miles before it begins to drop, but I'm pretty confidant that I have a full tank.
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustygold View Post
Not sure if this will help, but when I was new to my 2004 Monaco Dynasty and refueling, I would just get out, start the pump and maybe put a bit more in after the nozzle clicked off and the gauge would read full but more commonly a bit below the full mark. Now when I refuel say on the left side (MH has a filler on both sides) I let the air out of the right airbags and tilt the MH a few degrees to the right. After filling the gauge will read above the full mark and takes quite a few miles before it begins to drop, but I'm pretty confidant that I have a full tank.
I tilt the coach occasionally too but now days being retire and since
the wife likes to stop often its not quite as important to me now to
get the tank completely full .

There was a time when I drove until they were crying .
Now its more likely to be me or the dog that's crying .

The important thing to me now is don't run out of fuel or let the
generator stop in the summer time .

Ray
Old 03-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustygold View Post
Not sure if this will help. Now when I refuel say on the left side (MH has a filler on both sides) I let the air out of the right airbags and tilt the MH a few degrees to the right. After filling the gauge will read above the full mark and takes quite a few miles before it begins to drop, but I'm pretty confidant that I have a full tank.
I try and only fill on the driver’s side and lean it more than a few degrees so I can get 20 more gallons in. Doing it on the right side tends to make it burp fuel out. I gave up on the fuel gauge on my Dynasty and just reset the odometer and figure on 700 miles. The Aladdin was very accurate on fuel used... almost down to the gallon if I lean the coach.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Monaco used Centroid electronic tank senders they are not a float type .
They seem to go bad after a few yrs and need replacing .
I replaced mine a few yrs ago after fiddling with it repeatedly .
Centroid is very customer friendly and will help you with diagnosis .
The sender is easy to replace its held in by about 6 screws , sits right on top
of the tank .

CENTROID PRODUCTS

I now have a different problem where when I turn on the lights the fuel gauge
drops . I'm sure that is a ground issue at the gauge .

Before condemning the gauge how certain are you about the gallons .
The gen should not stop when down by only 20 gals .
Are you sure it was full at 20 gal or maybe the pump just kicked off
Some time my coach is leaning the wrong way and it wont take fuel as it should .

Ray
I like this idea I will look into replacing the sending unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I second this^^.

Without knowing the OP's experience with the MH, my suspicion and personal experience support the idea that he really hasn't filled his tank. The "burping" or blow-back is quite common on various MHs, especially if using the high volume nozzles.

Assuming he has a 100 gal. tank that is reading below 1/2 full, he would need 50 gal. to fill. The nozzle shuts off after 20 gal, leaving 30 gal. remaining to truly fill the tank. That would make a typical gauge show ~3/4 full, which his does.

Hopefully the OP will post some more details and tell us how often he has filled his rig, if he stopped filling after the automatic shut-off, and if it's possible that blow-back is the issue.
the tank is full, the fill neck is about 8 inches long and i can see down in it, fuel is right there at the bottom of the fuel neck.

it is entirely possible that there is some divider between the sides, i can fill from both sides of the coach as well, next time i top off, ill check the other side to see if its at the bottom of the filler neck.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies, the more information the better.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The gauge on my Scepter is goofy as it goes down between an 8th and 1/4 of a tank based on how high my dash lights are turned up when running headlights.

After the automatic shut off on the fuel handle shuts off I can typically run it slow and get another 20-23 gallons in and then the gauge shows full.

I've tested the fuel flow/gallons used on my Aladdin and have found it to be accurate within 10% so I take note of where the "gallons used" is after I fuel and base my fuel stops on that. Towing a 10,000 lbs stacker my HR/ISL400 averages 6 mpg day in and day out so although the gauge is a guide I'm confirming what I've got with other information.

keef95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel