Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Smile Fuel gauge not working

I have a 1999 safari and when I fill the tank the gauge goes past full. As I drive the gauge will start moving from full to 1/4 tank. Any suggestions?
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like the float is filling(or is full) and is sinking. Gas or diesel? Does it do this everytime? Does it just stay at 1/4 tank after dropping? Will it drop past 1/4 tank?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

The gauge will go back and forth from 1/2 to full and 1/4 to full. when I stop it will go to full
Old 11-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
When you stop and it is reading full do you know it is not full after a days driving?
If your float has liquid in it it will move around and when coming to a stop it may go up to the level in the tank. I would guess here it is liquid in the float or the sending unit is going bad. How long has this been doing this?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

Not driven a lot but it has been doing it for about a year. When I fill it will not move until I have driven for 30 or so miles then it starts going up and down
Old 11-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #6

I am having the same issue; however, the fuel gauge stays pegged at past full all the time. I downloaded the Centroid Products information (I believe they made all the fuel senders for Monaco) from here CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges. Their email is centroid@compuserve.com There are procedures for testing the fuel gauge and sending unit. Perhaps you may want to explore this further.

For my particular case, I believe water may be the culprit and I will be exploring further. Water essentially renders the sending unit useless if it remains long enough. I plan on removing the unit and seeing if it can be cleaned and returned. I contacted Monaco Parts and the price for the sending unit was outrageous.

Best of luck and please update us and I will do as well.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

ZackMan is correct. My gauge was stuck on full all the time. Ran the diagnostics and emailed the results to Centroid..they said it was bad and charged me 80 bucks for a new one shipped. These units (and I dont know if the original poster has an electronic version vice an older float style) measure the level of liquid via electricity and not with a float. In mine the capacitor in the head unit of the sending unit went bad..supposedly common. Joel at Centroid was extremely helpful over email. Turns out Centroid was building the units for Monaco and according to them when Monaco went bankrupt they didnt pay the Centroid bill, so Monaco is having somebody else build there replacements at an extremely high (around 250 bucks)price. Centroid builds them on demand when your order. My new one works great.
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

On the top of your fuel tank , where the sender wires go into the tank, there should be two VERY SMALL rheostat screws that allow you to adjust the gauge. Wipe off all the diesel slime off top of sender , otherwise you won't see the screws. One screw is for empty and other is for full. Fill tank turn screw just a little! You'll have to play with the screws. You may need to use an inspection mirror. I have easy access to top of my fuel tank (Dynasty).
RickGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced mine about 5 years ago, after having talked with Joel about the guage. It says it's some sort of an electrical "Conductance" operated mechanism. The two tubes that go into the tank produces some type of measurement as the fuel moves up and down inside the tank, as I understand the methodology. Since mine is going bad again, I am more than upset, having already spent 70+ dollars such a short time ago vs the use I get out of it. I hope someone will respond telling how the guage can be cleaned or rebuilt without having to spend this kind of money every 5 years.
David
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #10

I did all the tests E-Mailed to me from Joel after doing that I cleaned the sender with solvent, and its worked ever since.
99Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
What type of solvent did you use? Is brake cleaner too strong to use?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #12

I don't think you can use a solvent that is to strong. The gauge is made from 2 metal tubes that conduct elec thru the fuel to read the level. I think that mine had some algae buildup between them. As for what solvent I used its whats ever is in the shop solvent tank. My new coach was for sale for about 3 years that I can document, thats why I think it was Algae.
99Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #13

2001 Exc fuel gauge on full

I think I'm going to try cleaning the electrods. Contacted Centroid. Hard to get through to them! But I think I will just order a new sender and hopefully it will take care of it. I have 4 wires going to the sender.
rdstr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As I posted earlier, I replaced mine not that long ago and it's not working again. So, I will definitely try to clean the tubes before buying another. or, if I can find another brand that will work I will try it if the cleaning doesn't work.

Tags
fuel