Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fuel Mileage & Campground info

Interesting scenario.....Took a short 6 day trip to the north woods ( Door County Wisc ) this past week.

My fuel mileage was something that I've never experienced before. Trip total was about 560 miles. - Filled up before leaving and when I returned. Had to check my math twice because I averaged 12.33 miles per gallon. My previous high was 10.4 on a trip to Indialantic Fl.

Wasn't pulling anything and didn't have the generator running cause I didn't need the A/C.

Am wondering of anyone else has gotten that kind of mileage on their coach or was I just 'lucky'.

- - - - - - - - -

On a totally different subject, the campground we stayed at was the Egg Harbor Campground & RV Resort. We were camped on one of their new ( 1 year old ) "executive sites", full hook up & concrete pads. Didn't even have to lower the jacks to level the coach. Loads of room between campsites. Didn't have a cramped in feeling at all. Great location on the north end of town & centrally located between all the ( what I call ) "tourist trap towns" (lol).
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #2

On your return trip, heading South, you were going down hill! :-) Can't explain the ”uphill” trip though...

I really have no clue, but I would love to see a 20% increase in efficiency. I hope it sticks with you. By the way, next time you're near Indialantic Florida you should set aside some time to stop at The Great Outdoors RV and Golf Resort in Titusville. On your choice of lots you won't have to set down your leveling jacks on those sites either. Most sites are 45 feet wide and 80 ft deep. It's an all ”all owner” Resort, but you can usually rent sites through a rental pool or by contacting owner directly which can be found after you come to the park and take a tour (occasional yard signs)
http://www.tgoresort.com/
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's pretty darn good mileage all right. I am happy if I get more than 8.

As far as Egg Harbor Campground, we have stayed there and found it very nice. The only problem we had was satellite reception, but that wasn't a game changer.

We've been going to Door County for almost twenty years and have been shocked by the changes over that time. It used to be you could drive into a town and park and go shopping or sight seeing. No more, now you are routed around the town during the Harvest Festival unless you really want to try and find parking.

This year we are going the week after the Harvest Festival. We will miss the Art Festival and all that street entertainment, but we've seen it all before. Will still go to a Fish Boil of course. Love them.

BTW, Wife says prices on sweatshirts, hoodies, ect are much lower now because they're about to close up for the Winter.

Don't miss the Peninsula Players.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If I tilt the coach away from me a little with the air bags while filling up, I can get quite a bit more diesel in the tank. And if the coach is tilted towards me while filling up, the amount going in the tank is a lot less. That will appear to effect the fuel mileage, but of course it doesn't. I think if you average it over many tank fill ups, you'll find it will be back to normal. I average about 8.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

Whether or not the coaches level while filling will certainly change your fuel mileage if you're only using paper and pen and fuel measured by the pump. Of course It wouldn't affect the calculations of the fuel management system.
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here's another scenario.... Maybe you drove slower on this trip then you have on other trips. We get the best fuel economy in 6th gear at 58 MPH. On the flats we can get 10-11 MPG. However, if we push the speed up our MPG drops pretty quickly. We've kept fuel records for the last six years of full-timing and our average MPG for the entire time is currently 7. It used to be 6.8 but we slowed down two years ago and the MPG is gradually rising.
RileyCaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

Different thought I filled in Nebraska and then in colorado My vmspc is quite accurate in miles/gal to figure actual mpg. I got almost 9 on flats in neb and I did not have any biodiesel in the tank. I think their pumps has a betteer keotane rating than the corn stuff we get in the midwest up to 20 %. I got even better going downhill out of denver south on i25 Oh it is downhill a lot till you get to the border.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyms View Post
Interesting scenario.....Took a short 6 day trip to the north woods ( Door County Wisc ) this past week.

My fuel mileage was something that I've never experienced before. Trip total was about 560 miles. - Filled up before leaving and when I returned. Had to check my math twice because I averaged 12.33 miles per gallon. My previous high was 10.4 on a trip to Indialantic Fl.

Wasn't pulling anything and didn't have the generator running cause I didn't need the A/C.

Am wondering of anyone else has gotten that kind of mileage on their coach or was I just 'lucky'.

- - - - - - - - -

On a totally different subject, the campground we stayed at was the Egg Harbor Campground & RV Resort. We were camped on one of their new ( 1 year old ) "executive sites", full hook up & concrete pads. Didn't even have to lower the jacks to level the coach. Loads of room between campsites. Didn't have a cramped in feeling at all. Great location on the north end of town & centrally located between all the ( what I call ) "tourist trap towns" (lol).
But did you lower the jacks to stabilize the coach?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #9

My old 40 foot Signature was extremely reliable in MPG, predictable actually. Headwind always took MPG away, cooler temps took it away, running the generator took some also.

All that said, I had one trip immediately after installing new tires (new lower resistance rolling tires, same size and such), that I got just about 11 MPG and drove zero different than normal. Was a short trip, 950 miles involving fueling at both ends, basically 11 at each end for some crazy reason. No special weather, no special care, coach level during fueling... I was like, WOW these low resistance tires will pay for themselves after 1 year! Well then it went back to normal

In addition, I just put new tires on my new coach and the first trip out was about 1 MPG better than normal (computer indicated and not verified on paper), back to normal now though. Again, lower resistance tires.

Something else strange, my old Cummins single rear axle Signature LOVED hot weather for economy and performance. My newer (and much heavier) Detroit fired coach seems to fall off quickly in performance in hotter weather.

Maybe there is something similar to your findings
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, fuel