RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Fuel Pump leak in 500ISM Engine

At some point in the last ten miles or so of our return home from Florida, a high pressure leak developed around the fuel pump on our 500 ISM.
When the engine is running there is a fine mist of Diesel fuel spraying in the engine compartment and more pouring out on the ground.
Obviously, this is a huge fire hazard and the coach ('01 Executive 43 DSS) will have to be towed to Cummins, the closest shop.
Since I can't run the engine to get air in the bags and to release the brakes, do I use the air nipple in the driver side front run bay, or the nipple in the generator compartment to air up with my shop compressor?
Does anyone have ideas about the probable cause of the leak? I'm thinking this could run into thousands of bucks and I hate handing over my rig to Cummins...it's like handing them a blank check.

tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #2

If your going to have it towed, let the tow operator charge up the air system, he will know. Make sure he pulls the drive shaft or both axles before towing it. Another option is a low boy trailer.

As far as airing it up, you can try either one. If air fills the tanks, you got it.

If you don't want to take it to Cummins, call a mobile service company. Let them look it over to see if it can be repaired where it sits.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

X2 on getting a mobile repair guy to come and fix at your location. It is probably an easy fix, split line or fitting. The mobile guy can fix that easy, well assuming he can get access.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgauger View Post
At some point in the last ten miles or so of our return home from Florida, a high pressure leak developed around the fuel pump on our 500 ISM.
When the engine is running there is a fine mist of Diesel fuel spraying in the engine compartment and more pouring out on the ground.
Obviously, this is a huge fire hazard and the coach ('01 Executive 43 DSS) will have to be towed to Cummins, the closest shop.

Since I can't run the engine to get air in the bags and to release the brakes, do I use the air nipple in the driver side front run bay, or the nipple in the generator compartment to air up with my shop compressor?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Air.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	132894

The very reason I keep my owners manual on my laptop with me and also store that file in " Last Pass" on my cell phone

Does anyone have ideas about the probable cause of the leak? I'm thinking this could run into thousands of bucks and I hate handing over my rig to Cummins...it's like handing them a blank check.
As others have said your wrecker driver will be very familiar
with the proper towing procedure.

You may even want to ask the wrecker driver about a service provider because he will be very familiar with who's who's in the HD diesel world in the area

Happy Hunting and good luck
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Truck down (app or website) is very good to find a mobile tech close to you. I have used it at home and on the road.

Paul
pwhittle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

thanks gang!

As usual, this site has been most helpful, especially in guiding my thinking. It never occurred to me to call a road service company.
The "Truck Down" site is a good start. Beyond that there are several local operations that deal directly with RV's.
I'm going to use the truck service guys.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

PS: I also never thought about the split hose scenario. Based on the heavy mist it would seem to be on the high pressure fuel pump.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

Thanks to those who responded. FYI, the air socket in the street side bay with the propane tank will not accept air as there is a check valve upstream.
My owner's manual says the nipple used to air-up externally is on the street side next to the generator.
It isn't!
It's on the curb side bolted to the generator frame and facing forward. There was no boot or cap on it. Consequently it was full of mud and the outside appears a bit corroded and so badly that my hose could not get a bite on it. Will be cleaning tomorrow.
Also, maybe everyone knows this but me, but there is a valve on this fitting. A quarter-turn to open it.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #9

It turned out to be a split steel fuel line that had rusted. The replacement from Cummins is now an armored flexible hose. There is another steel fuel line on the engine which the excellent tech from Hoover Brothers in central PA ("Devin") says I ought to replace.
I will.
Meanwhile, does anyone know the location of the air tank drains on the '01 Monaco Exec?
There is a nice piece in the current issue of the FMCA Magazine which addresses this.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #10

Front air nipple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgauger View Post
Thanks to those who responded. FYI, the air socket in the street side bay with the propane tank will not accept air as there is a check valve upstream.
My owner's manual says the nipple used to air-up externally is on the street side next to the generator.
It isn't!
It's on the curb side bolted to the generator frame and facing forward. There was no boot or cap on it. Consequently it was full of mud and the outside appears a bit corroded and so badly that my hose could not get a bite on it. Will be cleaning tomorrow.
Also, maybe everyone knows this but me, but there is a valve on this fitting. A quarter-turn to open it.
I've learned that the front air nipple used by tow truck operators to air up your coach in the event that you can't start your engine is a special kind called a "Service" nipple. It will not fit most female air hose connections that you might have in your garage.
However, Home Depot sells a fitting that fits both. Just attach it to the compressor end of your air hose and you will have both!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tom,
I actually have 2 nipples,

One to be able to get air from the system, this one is located in the propane compartment and uses a standard coupling so you can attach an air hose. This is a female connector.

The second one to be able to charge the system, used by the tow truck driver, mine is located in the generator compartment this is a male connector to accept a female connector.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tom, glad you are all fixed up! We have the port in the side bay for airing up tires and one near the generator for towing. Both have ball valves on them now and new fittings, I changed them last year. The front towing one has a female on it and I keep the matching male next to it with a zip tie just in case. This configuration was common with Monaco, from what I understand others have no towing port, you are dead where it lies or the tow truck operator has to crawl under a sagging coach to hook directly to the tank, usually they will pull a drain and tie in there.

jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, fuel, leak