Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #1

Fuel Tank leak update

Looking for a little feed back to make a decision. Some of you may recall my fuel tank drain bung leak discussed in a post from the last few weeks.

The coach is at Cummins and the decision is weather to allow them to remove, clean, weld and pressure test. Cost $2200. Or replace with new for $3500.

Cummins will warranty the weld repair for 6 months. I hate to take the chance of having to go back for a replacement job if the repair does not hold.

They appear to be all over this process as this bung issue has been a problem for the industry. I am interested if any of you that had yours welded had the leak reappear? Thanks for any input.

Any feed back is appreciated
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Monaco will most likely sell you the same tank that your having trouble with, I'd pass on them and go with repair. Monaco has a track record of ignoring problems with there parts when they a chance to make money (I.E. the rear suspension trailing arms that were all bad).

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Would go for repair for 2 reasons;
1) Save $1300.
2) If the original weld is not fatigue oriented, a good welder can and will make a permanent weld. I worked in the oil patch and Have seen just a few miles of high pressure pipelines welded by good welders. Of course they were x-rayed afterwards but percentage wise not very many were rejected and rewelded. So far, none have failed where I was. Go for the repair.
Was nice meeting you at Cummins. Best of luck!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Gregk couple things I would do , first I would look for a good aluminum welder, that tank can safely be welded for a lot less than your quote, I would think that is a $200 job. We would always run the exhaust in the vessel and weld or just fill with water. You could try a RV salvage yard and buy a used tank. here is a link to a large salvage yard.
Used RV Parts - Colaw RV Used Parts and Accessories
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure if the tanks are the same, but my 2007 Scepter developed a leak around the drain plug. Took it to the service facility that takes care of the coach. Remove tank, repair and replace, $850, with extended service policy picking up $750 of that. Repaired two years ago and still fine.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I punctured the gas tank on my car I used Seal All to fix it. The repair did last only a few years though
Old 05-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
gregk.....That sounds pricey for just a repair, but you state they're going to remove, clean and weld. I hope for that price it means cleaning the interior of the tank. If all of that is being done, it the price sounds about right.

If it were me, I would be there to see that it is removed, thoroughly cleaned inside and pressure tested. There idea may be to remove some items to allow access, flush with a cleaner, weld and make sure it doesn't leak when they blow air in it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk View Post
Looking for a little feed back to make a decision. Some of you may recall my fuel tank drain bung leak discussed in a post from the last few weeks.

The coach is at Cummins and the decision is weather to allow them to remove, clean, weld and pressure test. Cost $2200. Or replace with new for $3500.

Cummins will warranty the weld repair for 6 months. I hate to take the chance of having to go back for a replacement job if the repair does not hold.

They appear to be all over this process as this bung issue has been a problem for the industry. I am interested if any of you that had yours welded had the leak reappear? Thanks for any input.

Any feed back is appreciated

Thought this might be of help to you , it is a past from another forum.

Walt

I had this same problem about 6 months ago. I brought it to a local welder
(being in RI, I looked up boat and salvage welders as I couldn't get anyone who
would weld with fuel in the tank and most wanted an arm and a leg to drop out
the tank, rinse it and put it back in. I eventually thought that boat/salvage
welders would perhaps be better equipped to do the job without ripping the tank
out anyway). I had the job done quickly and easily and it only cost me about
$150.00 for the job. The welder said there was a defect in the area of the
drain plug (I have since heard of many others having the same problem in the
2004 to 2008 year groups) and he needed to reinforce the entire area or it would
eventually weaken and drop out of the tank. The leak was never that bad, but
glad I got it taken care of when I did. If you have any boat and/or salvage
welders around, they are probably your best bet.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on Walt2137. As mentioned in a previous thread, I experienced the same problem and had the bung welded. 7000 miles later and all is well. Total cost $100.00.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #10

Thanks again for all the replys. Went ahead with the repair rather than replace. Probably a little over priced but I feel good about the Houston Cummins group and as they have done many of these. They are confident and their method seems very through down to the interior cleaning of the tank to insure that no diesel residue remains in the crack.

Probable could have gone with a smaller shop and tried for a weld in place but the chance of reappearing would be somewhat higher.

Tired of dealing with this and ready to move on. Just tell me where to write the check and for how much.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote