Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FUEL Tank SENDER

Has any one replaced or repaired a centroid fuel sender? If so,could you tell me if I have to drop my fuel tank to get the old one out?But before I do that I have to figure out how to get too it because its behind a panel with out a door handle on it.I guess I will crawl under neath it and look.
I will appreciate any help I can get.
Thank You so much
2003 HR Imperial 40 PST
James And Janelle
JimJan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I bet that panel has a hinge on the top to lift up the panel. My coach has latches on the bottom to lift it up but others have said theirs had screws to hold it down.
No the tank does not have to be removed to replace the sender unit. The hole in the top of the tank is larger than the sender portion that extends into the tank so the sender can tilt to lift out.
Caution: make sure it is clean around the top and by all means take pictures so the wires can be reinstalled correctly. I called Joel at Centroid and he made me a new unit exactly like the original one ($90). Some have said the wires were not color coded but mine were.
Here is the web site for Centroid:

CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Guage.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	170190

Good luck
Dave
Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My gauge just quit working . My fuel door on the pass side was screwed down. I removed the screws and the sender is just right there on top. I took a wire brush and cleaned the contacts and took off each wire one at a time and cleaned the contacts. I put electrical wire grease on each contact and the gauge started working again. Mine was a pretty easy fix.
Poormarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #4

Thank you,I order a new one this morning. Doesn't sound like it will be any problem.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

jim, that door is hinged, look under the coach, its probably attached by two straps with screws.
I made a latch for mine to access my Aqua Hot filter and I put my fuel separator and fuel pump up there.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #6

If you look close you can see it, doesn't look terrible to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2636.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	170496  
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

My advise is that when you remove the old one go to a good hardware store and get bolts at least 1/2 inch longer than those removed. I found it impossible to reinstall with the originals and a new gasket. Length doesn't matter it's going in the tank.
Garlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jim most of the Monacos along then had a swing up panel as I recall. The tank is right in front of you as the above picture shows. I replaced the centroid gage at about coach year 7(2002 Diplomat). That one lasted about 6 years before it started giving trouble. Tried cleaning it the same as mentioned by other posters, but nothing worked. So, in lieu of spending another $75, which was the initial replacement cost (I understand they are up to $90 now), I decided to drive by milage. Been doing that about 3 plus years now. There needs to be a better/more reliable gage than the Centroid Capacitance system. Just my experience. Good luck with yours. David.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone I really appreciate your help!
Love this forum

Tags
fuel, tank