Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Full Wall Slide Top Awning Problem

My 07 Diplomat SFT with full wall slide has developed a problem with the seal on top of the full wall slide. After a year and a half of nearly full time use, dirt has built up on the top of the slide, beneath the slide awning. This has caused friction on the seal around the slide and resulted in about 10' of the seal pulling off the coach as the slide goes in and out.

Since the slide is 29' long, I need to somehow unhook the slide awning and get under it to reattach the seal and give the top of the slide a good cleaning and then coat it with slide seal lubricant. This will probably need to be done annually.

How do I unhook the slide awning? There is a thin rod that holds a loop of the awning to the coach. It appears that I could clamp the awning where it enters the awning roller, so that it does not roll itself up in the awning enclosure, and then remove the thin rod, clean and lubricate the slide top and then replace the thin rod.

Any suggestions from awning pros? I expect Robin M and SacsTC to jump in here, as they will face the same issue at some point.

Currently in Albuquerque,
Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
After a year and a half of nearly full time use, dirt has built up on the top of the slide, beneath the slide awning. This has caused friction on the seal around the slide and resulted in about 10' of the seal pulling off the coach as the slide goes in and out.
Luke,
If you answer my problems, I'll answer yours::
Actually, I've been trying to figure out a way to clean and lube the top of the slides ever since I got this thing. I really hope that your problem is as you think it is.
On ours, water is somehow getting into the middle of the rubber seal and causes the little metal fingers that hold it in place to rust out. This, in turn causes the seal to pull off as you describe. If you have noticed any rust on the side of your rig at the bottom front or rear of that slide, you have the same problem.
I do believe that the only way to get under there is to put the slide out, lock the roller in place, then flip the topper back onto the roof of the coach.
Maybe we should get together and design a tool to do the cleaning and lubing from inside the coach with the slide in. Hmmmm, wonder if MM's arms are small enough to fit between the ceiling and the wood?
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,

I have been getting rust coming out of the end of the seal next to the back left bay door. I tried to stick my arm in, but no luck. I did get the vacuum in and sucked up the major debris, but I still am going to have to get under the awning to replace the part of the seal that has pulled off. I would like to put some screws or pop rivets in it while I have access. I am in Albuquerque for The Rally next week, so I will track down some awning experts and see what they recommend. I can just imagine the entire 29' awning suddenly rolling up like some giant out of control window blind. It may just be easier to live without the awning and go up with a broom and a can of seal lube about once a month.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have been getting rust coming out of the end of the seal next to the back left bay door.
Mine is doing the same thing. (Again) This is the third time for mine except the other two the rust came out the front.
Quote:
It may just be easier to live without the awning and go up with a broom and a can of seal lube about once a month
I'm beginning to think the same thing. So far, Monaco has always stepped up and replaced the seal and (supposedly) fixed the problem, but it doesn't look like that will happen anymore. What I can't figure out is why none of the other toppers/seals have this problem.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Luke.....although we have different models, I believe the slides and seals are similiar and I also have had problem with the large center seal except mine fell off about the sixth time I ran the slide out when the motorhome was new. It fell off the day before we made a trip to Minnesota from Colorado so each time I ran the slide in or out I had to stop it midway and stand on the driver's seat and flop the seal so it wouldn't stretch and pull it off of the front and back end. It fell off almost the full twenty foot top length. Once we got back it was repaired under warranty and took a full month due to problems between the dealer and Monaco getting the proper size seal. The seal fell off due to moisture rusting out the metal alligator type grip inside the seal. (any moisture at all will rust out this seal...I suspect mine could have occurred even before shipping to dealer and/or sitting on the dealer lot for about 6 months or from Mfgr water check or sitting outside before awning cover was installed) Monaco originally sent wrong rubber, then next rubber was too big...dealer installed and slide wouldn't close due to too thick (I didn't accept and dealer removed and reordered; Monaco then sent two pieces instead of 40' needed); dealer finally got right size and installed....they put ureathane in the grip all the way around the seal to try to keep any water out. I saw the original seal when removed and you could crumble the metal in your fingers... bad design flaw. I was not there when the repairs were done, but the dealer disconnected the awning and laid on the roof to get at the seal...there is not enough room between the awning and slide roof due to narrow gap and the mechanism on the Carefree awing which peaks the fabric when the slide is out. There is also not enough room to get at the rubber from inside the motorhome.

I still worry about moisture getting into the new seal, hopefully the ureathane will keep it out. Condensation from the Air Conditioner does run down from the top to the drivers side and channels down the front of the slide area. I have since added a couple of plastic drain spouts to help keep water away from the slide area. (These slides do have additionaI double rubber seals on the outside of the slide and inside of the slide). I believe the middle large seal is designed mainly to serve as a wiper and seal while the slide is going in and out. There is a roughened strip on top of the slide to flip the rubber while the slide goes in or out.

Long story short...my purpose is responding is I believe your seal is rusted out and will require a new one to be installed. At least you got longer use than I did originally. Looks to be a poor design when the top of the rubber can easily get moisture into the groove and there is basically no way for it to dry out, so the moisture eats the very thin metal strip up.

Hope you are able to fix or get fixed without many troubles. The three weeks we traveled with the rubber hanging was not a problem as far as water getting inside since it could only leak while moving the slide in or out. We had several shower while parked with no leaks. Good luck and happy travels.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the link to Carefree Tech Documents, find your awning and then download the PDF Document for fabric replacement, it will tell you how to undo the fabric. I believe you guys have the Summit Toppers, the roller removes on those units, I think. Hope this helps you!

Jim

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/te...asp?m=01000000
Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacsTC View Post
Mine is doing the same thing. (Again) This is the third time for mine except the other two the rust came out the front.

I'm beginning to think the same thing. So far, Monaco has always stepped up and replaced the seal and (supposedly) fixed the problem, but it doesn't look like that will happen anymore. What I can't figure out is why none of the other toppers/seals have this problem.
Luke and Ron,

Man, you guys are scaring the %#!! out of me. I haven't seen the problem, but I don't get to use my coach as much as the two of you. I guess I will be facing this at some point.

Jim, thanks for posting the tech link. I believe we do have the Summit awning, at least on the big slide. Would you agree, Ron and Luke?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hello 40SFT Owners:
We also had trouble with the metal "fingers" rusting on the large slide seal - we have had it replaced twice under warranty. The last replacement was completed by the Elkhart service center last May and the seal that was installed has the metal clips molded in the rubber - it is supposed to be "the new seal". When the service techs replaced the seal, they removed the awning roller with the slide pulled in and laid it on top of the coach. The biggest problem with this awning is getting the roller tension just right. Since we had experienced trouble with the tension from the first day we owned the coach, Monaco sent the Carefree factory rep to the service center to set the tension and we have no problems since. Replacing the seal is no small job without adequate scaffolding to move freely along the slide. Good luck!!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We also had trouble with the metal "fingers" rusting on the large slide seal - we have had it replaced twice under warranty.
Same here. .we bought coach in Sept 06, replaced seal in July of 07 and again in 08. Just noticed rust showing up on paint in the rear of slide area again this trip, so once again it is occuring.
Quote:
The biggest problem with this awning is getting the roller tension just right. Since we had experienced trouble with the tension from the first day we owned the coach
Yeah, there has been a constant puddle of water that builds up on the topper between the body of the coach and the center rail that is supposed to stop this from occurring.
Ours has now broken the plastic rod that stops the topper from moving in the channel that attaches it to the coach body so the rear of the topper (end of it back by the rear of the coach) has now started to slide toward the front. The reason this has occurred is that some smart person ran a #8 screw directly through it in order to stop the front to rear movement.
And I did complain to Monaco techs about the tension of the awning, but got the normal response..........You know,,,Yawn,, thats how they are supposed to look...
Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I would say that we have the Summit XL awning.

The seal that I am having problems with is actually being used as a squeegee for the top of the slide to remove water and pine cones. If the slide is full in or out, it is sealed against the inner or outer wall. With the awning, there should not be much water or debris getting on top of the slide. I may look at the price of replacing the entire seal vs. just cutting out the section that came off, if it is rusted out and can not be reinstalled, and seeing if I get any significant water on the top of the slide when I bring it in. The only place that comes to mind that I would trust to do the replacement job is Harrisburg and it is in limbo.

Oh well, I will move on to my other projects: vacuum is not turning on when I put the hose into the wall plug, shower is leaking somewhere around the bottom (again), left rear jack is leaking down overnight, and the exhaust hose has come off the back of the washer/dryer and my arm is not long enough to put it back on, so I get to pull it out of the cabinet. On another note, I am parked next to a new Newell coach, and the entry door is electric and just slides out and back when the guy pushes a buttom. That is so cool! Probably a $20,000 option.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
shower is leaking somewhere around the bottom (again
This one I can fix!!!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I am at the KOA in Albuquerque. When can you get here?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
On another note, I am parked next to a new Newell coach, and the entry door is electric and just slides out and back when the guy pushes a buttom. That is so cool! Probably a $20,000 option.
Neat. I remember the first car I had with sensors in the seat that would detect the presense of flatulence and roll down the electric window. And I thought THAT was cool.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Guys, I am not familar with the metal fingers that you refer to. I live in Florida by the Ocean and the rust is incredible on any metal parts. I have used a product by CRC called Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor you spray it on and it seals out moisture and provides corrosion protection. You can get it at any marine store and it is about $8/10oz can.

Thought I would throw it out as a possible help. Here is a link.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/178090114.htm

Out here on the ocean where it stays wet, it works great on nuts, bolts and etc. No rust at all.

Tags
sft