Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #1

Furnace problem

Was at a campground this weekend. Had 50 amp service. Turned the wall thermostat on to furnace and nothing happened except a slow clicking noise somewhere. ( I think somewhere in the opposite wall) I let it make the noise for a few minutes thinking maybe it was purging the air out of the LP line but nothing happened. I turned on the 'battery charge' switch and immediatly the furnace kicked on and ran fine thru the night. The next day I turned the battery charger back off and tried it again. Same results. No furnace until the battery charger was on.
Any ideas?
AtlantaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

That sounds like low 12 volt battery voltage. Need to check and see what voltage your batteries are at with the charger off. If low maybe time to check batteries under load, clean and tighten all battery cables and check water levels
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Both chassis and house batteries show 12.5 volts when just sitting. But I was plugged into 50 amp service when this happened. Shouldn't that bypass the batteries?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The furnace runs off 12 volt from house batteries if they are low no furnace. Being on 120 shore does not bypass the need for 12volts from house batteries. When you turn on the charger the voltage on the batteries is high enough to let the furnace work. Like Mike said get the batteries checked.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #5

Thanks Mike and itdave. I will check the batteries.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
furnace

I had this same problem with mine last year. I had to pull the furnace unit out and clean the igniter, sometimes the vibration of the RV can cause the igniter to pull away from the pilot. So I cleaned the igniter and repositioned it and it has worked great ever since.

Hope this helps

Dennis
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRick View Post
Both chassis and house batteries show 12.5 volts when just sitting. But I was plugged into 50 amp service when this happened. Shouldn't that bypass the batteries?
NOT if your battery charger is OFF!
An RV LP furnace needs 10VDC, or more, to run, (12.5 volts "just sitting" may drop below 10 volts when the furnace is trying to run).
Since your furnace would not run on the battery voltage, and the charger was turned OFF, I don't understand what you think was supposed to "bypass the batteries".......As said you "turned on the 'battery charge' switch and immediately the furnace kicked and ran fine thru the night".....

When/if the house batteries are so low that the furnace will not run, and the charger is turned ON... 12VDC from the charger "bypasses" the low batteries and the furnace will run on that voltage..........OR you could charge your batteries, (if they are good)....if not, (replace them).

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace