Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
G.F.I. blows

I have an 2003 HR Endeavor. The G.F.I. in the bedroom by the sink blows when we travel more than a few miles. The latest was it would not re-set till the curb side slide was out. I also noticed that it blows sometimes when the slide is brought in. I know there must be a short somewhere or a loose ground. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or any idea where to start looking. Thanks
wolf1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a diagram but I'd start looking under the slide for a split loom conduit that's pinched/damaged. There's a slight posibility that the gfi is bad also.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

GFI's do go bad for a few bucks you can replace it and then see if you still have problems.
leadfoot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
A GFI works by sensing an imbalance between the hot side and the neutral side. An imbalance means some electricity is leaking to ground so it shuts down. I definitely think you've got a pinched or cut coax cable since it trips when driving or moving the slide. I would immediately get it fixed, as it could lead to worse problems, like a fire or if the short is going to the chassis frame, you could get a nasty shock touching other grounded things in the RV, for example standing on the ground and touching the door handle or frame.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot3 View Post
GFI's do go bad for a few bucks you can replace it and then see if you still have problems.
X2. I've replaced two in an older coach
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

G.F.I blows

Already replaced the G.F.I. Checked for damage to conduit. Didn't spot anything obvious. Going to check the wiring further,once the rain stops.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
wolf....I had a similar issue on a trip last year, but not as severe as yours. I replaced the GFI and still had the issue. When I got home, I found a bare ground wire that goes from the electric bay to the frame that was loose. If you look behind your electric bay, you should see a bare #6 ground wire that is bolted to the frame. Remove the wire from the frame, clean the frame and wire and reinstall. This was an odd find on mine, but solved the issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
When a GFI fails, it typically stops passing electricity. It won't reset and it won't trip when the test button is pushed. The fact that wolf1281 said it kept tripping showed that the GFI was working as it should.
I'd suggest checking for the ground wire as Diplomat Don suggested. If that doesn't fix it, then get some insulated gloves, open the slide and as someone monitors the GFI, or plug in a drop light and put it out a window so you can see it, and start wiggling and pulling on the conduits connecting the slide to the main body of the RV. See if you can trip the GFI. That will show what section of conduit needs replacing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #9

So far checked grounds and all looms I could see and get to. Didn't find anything that would cause the GFI to blow.