Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Gas or Diesel

Looking to buy a motorhome and I'm undecided if I should buy a diesel or gas.I have been looking at 2003 and 2004 gas units for the same price a 1999 or 2000 diesel pusher goes for.Any suggestions on which way I should go,looking to spend around 60k and plan to travel 3 to 6k miles a year with no plan to full time.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Depends on how long you plan on keeping the unit.
Believe me the DP will make your travels a lot less tiring and as a rule the diesel units
are built better not all but most.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You must be looking for a slide out because the 94 Exe is one fine coach. $60000 will get you a newer Diesel than a 99 or 2000. We travel a lot less than what you plan now with our age getting up there but I would not want to go back to the gas.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
An older diesel would still give good service. Can't say that for a gas engine. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

We went from a gas to a diesel coach. There is a big difference in the ride and power of the diesel over the gas. We are very happy we did..We also use our coach the same amount of times as you have planned. When we were thinking of buying the DP one of my friends asked if I really wanted to get into the diesel thing..I did not know what he meant..Now I do..expense..everything on a diesel is more money to repair, oil changes, filters, repairs to the motor when required..We are happy with our coach but not sure I was ready for the diesel thing..$$$$$$$$ I have also heard there is a better resale value on a DP..

Just my 2 cents

Ted
Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

I realize the expenses are higher but I really believe the comfort and quality will pay off in a long run.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorman View Post
I realize the expenses are higher but I really believe the comfort and quality will pay off in a long run.

Thanks

I don't see why having one over the other would give you a different quality or comfort. The motor has nothing to do with either. Taking the same motorhome with either motor still is the same motorhome.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
I don't see why having one over the other would give you a different quality or comfort. The motor has nothing to do with either. Taking the same motorhome with either motor still is the same motorhome.
The gas engine cannot handle the weight associated with features of high end diesel pushers. The more you spend on your coach the more quality and comfort you will get.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
DP's are built with everything heavy duty and provide a better down the
road ride because of weight. As to engines the diesel's performance with
the added weight is so much better than a gas engine.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
I would suggest you arrange to drive one of each as you describe? Then you'll have an idea of what we're talking about regarding quality and comfort.

You can't compare the ride of a coach with an air suspension to one on springs. You can't compare the diesel pusher (engine in back) to most gasser's when comparing cab noise levels. What about driving in the hills with the diesel exhaust brake vs. not? THAT'S something you really need to experience (especially with toad)! Air brakes give you a solid braking system that will likely never wear out?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My old Rockwood Classic DP still had GREAT brake pads after 28 years of use. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720

I try not to skip ahead, but this false assumption need to be addressed....

A dp has its motor in the back. U cannot hear it when u are driving....
It has its genny in the front, u cannot hear it when u are sleeping...

It has air suspension, not leaf springs. This one is huge. Leaf springs are really really awful. Air bags are smooth...

And none of this has anything to do with the deisel engine itself, just the design of the chassis that comes with it.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Back to the op....

Slides are good. U mention 1999-2000 years for dp's, this is when slides became commonplace.

I'd never give up my slides. First moho had 1, current has 4. Slides r good.

If i had to choose between a gasser with 2 slides or a dp with none.....
Slides win.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We just went from a 2012 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 34b to a 2007 Monaco Knight 40SKT. Once we got the campsite/resort the Bounder was fine, however the drive there could be very taxing, rough, and loud. Getting the diesel was a great decision for us. The drive is so quiet, and smooth. The power pulling hills is great. I can run the cruise control and the motor does not sound like it is going to blow out of the floorboard.

Be it diesel or gas get a floorplan you really love.

TR
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas