RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #1

gen rpm not stable

Hi everybody,
Anybody out there having a problem on their 8KW onan diesel gen where rpm is not steady at all with or without load. I know rpm will change everytime there is changes in load and this is not my concern, i know it's normal. I didn't use a tachometer for rpm measurement but by hearing only and in comparison to my friend's same type of generator. Warranty I believe is over because my unit is more than two years old based on onan policy. Any help is highly appreciated. Tnx.

MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
Hi everybody,
Anybody out there having a problem on their 8KW onan diesel gen where rpm is not steady at all with or without load. I know rpm will change everytime there is changes in load and this is not my concern, i know it's normal. I didn't use a tachometer for rpm measurement but by hearing only and in comparison to my friend's same type of generator. Warranty I believe is over because my unit is more than two years old based on onan policy. Any help is highly appreciated. Tnx.
I don't think the hearing test, even compared to the same type generator is reliable. Each gen set would have to be operating under the exact same conditions. If you don't have a surge protector installed that measures both voltage and frequency from the gen set then get one of these and plug it into an outlet:
Amazon.com: TRC AECM20020-3-012 Electra Check Digital Monitor for all AC Power Sources, Black with White Face: Home Improvement
Run the generator and check both the voltage and frequency. If the frequency is out of range then you may very well have a load control problem with the generator and need to get to an Onan service center.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
My 7.5 Onan QD is very similar to yours and the only time the speed changes is when the load changes.

Since these are variable speed generators, the frequency is not speed dependent. These are DC generators which use an internal inverter to obtain AC.

It sounds like a trip to an Onan service center is in order.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote