Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Generator Dipstick broke..

I ordered a new dipstick for my Onan 7500.. it lacks about 2 1/2 inches going all the way in.. I'm guessing the old tip had broken off in the oil reservoir.. how do I get the broken piece out? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0950.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	152061
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Probably leave it there unless you want to drop the oil pan
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a bit confused. What was the reason you ordered a new dipstick? Does the lower end of old dipstick indicate it was broke off? I would think if the lower 2 1/2 inches did break off, it would not be in the tube, but on the bottom of the oil pan. Are you sure you ordered the right dipstick for your generator? I'd bet all years and models of the 7500 don't take the same dipstick.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

Generator Dipstick broke..

If you have been running the generator with the end missing you probably have grounded to shreds, do an oil change and insert a small camera through the plug. You have the right new dipstick, if you ordered it according to your serial number. I have a 7500 and my dipstick has the yellow end on it. As another poster said the only way to remove it is to drop the oil pan. Unless you are a hell of a fisher[emoji38]
Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I'm a bit confused. What was the reason you ordered a new dipstick? Does the lower end of old dipstick indicate it was broke off? I would think if the lower 2 1/2 inches did break off, it would not be in the tube, but on the bottom of the oil pan. Are you sure you ordered the right dipstick for your generator? I'd bet all years and models of the 7500 don't take the same dipstick.
I am confused about your confusion. Don't you see the two dipsticks on the board. Don't you see that the yellow end is missing on one of them. I think you forgot to put your glasses on this mourning. LOL
Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #6

Leave it in the oil pan,

It will never move or get into the moving parts of the engine.

If you (do) have a drain hole large enough to get a pin magnet inside and move around, you may be able to pick up the broken tip if it's metal, but if not, leave it alone, it will never cause you a problem.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am confused about your confusion. Don't you see the two dipsticks on the board. Don't you see that the yellow end is missing on one of them. I think you forgot to put your glasses on this mourning. LOL
Oh I saw it, what I didn't see is the other of both. Were they reversed, was one longer than the other? Was the old one damaged at the lower end in anyway? Were all the level indicators still in place? In all my years I have never seen a dipstick break off 2" from the bottom (they are designed not too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
I ordered a new dipstick for my Onan 7500.. it lacks about 2 1/2 inches going all the way in.. I'm guessing the old tip had broken off in the oil reservoir.. how do I get the broken piece out? Attachment 152061
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #8

My issue is.. my new dipstick will not go into to gen. It stops about 2 1/2 inches out.. I'm guessing the tip on the old one broke off and is lodged in the oil tube ..??Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	152127
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 AM   #9

BLKCLOUD,

There's this little device called mechanical fingers (a retrieving tool) that I'm sure will fit into that hole and allow you to hook onto and pull the broken piece out.

I cant give you a picture of the device now but if you would look it up you will see what I'm talking about.

We mechanic types find a need for and keep at least one in our tool boxes all the time.
It has a button on the handle end, and two three or four spring type fingers on the other end.

You open the fingers by pressing on the top button, and when the fingers are around the object you need to retrieve, you release the button and the fingers hopefully will grab the object and you can pull it out.

You can buy this retrieving tool at any auto parts store, and I think the two finger model will work the best for you in this situation.

I got my fingers crossed for you buddy, let us know if that works.

DTW

Pic

Pickup Tool - Mechanical Grabber 396
General’s*24" Mechanical Pickup is a universal rescue tool for mechanics, do-it-yourselfers and maintenance professionals.
The Mechanical Pickup's flexible, elongated shaft reaches deep into cramped engine compartments or behind workbenches to retrieve bolts, wrenches and other frequently dropped items.
No toolbox or workbench could possibly be considered complete without a Powerful*Mechanical Pickup and Retrieval Tool!
Pick-up Tool Features:
Long, flex shaft reaches around stationary objects and into cramped areas.
Commonly used in the automotive, electrical and maintenance fields.
Four prong retractable steel jaws grab hardware, tools and other small items.
Plunger actuator controls expansion and reach of jaws.
Chrome finish to prevent rust.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Oh I saw it, what I didn't see is the other of both. Were they reversed, was one longer than the other? Was the old one damaged at the lower end in anyway? Were all the level indicators still in place? In all my years I have never seen a dipstick break off 2" from the bottom (they are designed not too).
John: You still don't see the picture. The two dipsticks are in the picture. The yellow plastic end is NOT the handle it is the oil pan end of the dipstick. The plastic end broke off the metal dipstick. In all your years you have probably never seen a dipstick with a plastic end in the engine, either.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #11

There's a good chance the dip stick tube go's to the bottom of the pan. That is so the oil can be sucked out, in applications where it can't be drained.

Find something, like a wood dowel, that fits snug in the tube.

Fit it in there, take pliers around the outside, and twist while pulling the whole tube out.

It may have a Oring seal or just some sealer on it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #12

If you take off the side cover and there is a hose and you will see a hose running from
the metal tube that your dipstick goes in down to the block. Remove that hose and you
should see the end of the dipstick. From the picture I'm looking at the hose goes into the block right by the oil filter. you may have to remove the oil filter. If you can't pull out the end of your dipstick you make have to push it into the pan. It shouldn't hurt anything laying in the pan. Good luck
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #13

There must be a problem with these 7500 dip sticks with the yellow plastic ends........ ever since we've had our Beaver Monterey the end of the plastic part has been missing, not all of the plastic is gone but it has been snapped off just at the end of the flexi wire part so I have about 1/2" of the plastic still there, we've run the generator like that for just over 2 years and who know's how long it was like that with the previous owner!!
I checked the length against a friends dip stick from his 7500 and the max oil level is just at the end of the tip on our dip stick so I just keep it topped up to that and don't worry about the missing part because life is way too short for added stress
gulfbluersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The dipstick with the yellow end is the correct one for that Onan. The fact that you cannot get the new dipstick to go in all the way indicates that the yellow end is still in the tube. Find a boat mechanic that has a reverse oil pump that you can borrow or have him try. The pump is made to suck the oil out of an engine thru the dipstick tube. We use them in I/o boats where you cannot access the oilman.
With any luck it will suck the plastic end out as there is no o-ring or seal on it. You may also try a hand suction pump such as the ones they sell at harbor freight. The oil coming up the tube should bring the plastic with it. Although it may not hurt anything I would not leave it in there if you cane easily suck it out.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator