Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #15

On my 98 dynasty the pickup tubes are steel and soldered into the fittings.
I lengthened both my gen and engine pickups, the tank has to be removed.
Fuel gauge on mine can be taken out by unscrewing the large door and lifting
it up
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridluz View Post
So I followed the fuel return and fuel supply line from the generator to the top of the fuel tank near the drivers side fuel door.
How do I know which line is which in top of the tank? Not much room to work with and I can't follow the line all the way from the gen. to the tank so I have a 50-50 chance of guessing right unless I'm missing something (which is likely). One line is closer to the door than the other.

Thanks.
IIRC, there are 2 lines for genny, a supply and return. I'm thinking the supply line is the bigger of the 2. This is off memory now, and my memory's not as good as it used to be. Hope this helps.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #17
YC1

I finally did the mod and have not been on the road since. I too am sick of it shutting off at 1/2 of a tank of fuel.

The kit mentioned above was easy to get and the change took just a few minutes. I have an 08 Endeavor with a 100 gallon tank.

Here is a pdf of mine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Tank.pdf (224.2 KB, 59 views)

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Ron, I did this about 5 years ago. I was able to reach through the fuel door on the drivers side and lengthen it. IIRC the fuel line snaps on the top. Once it's popped off, a larger socket, maybe around 7/8" or larger can be used to loosen the fitting with attached tube. Then just pull it out. I found a replacement tube at NAPA for maybe a couple bucks. I measured the tank depth, I think around 15" deep, and subtracted 2". As someone earlier said, heat the end of the tube and it will easily slide on the fitting. It really is pretty easy and fast to lengthen it. One of the cheapest and best mods I've done.

Chad
So, I got the rv today and went to the drivers side fuel door. The closest fuel line looked as though it fed away and down towards the generator so before it got dark I popped off the line as described above and about a 1 1/8 wrench removed the line and tube. This tube was probably 15 inches long and probably 1/2 inch diameter. Could this be the wrong line???
I ask because I promise my gen cuts off with half a tank and this line goes to the bottom of the tank and this hose is twice the size of what you guys describe as the diameter of your hoes.
The other line is a long arms length away and looks smaller.
Questions:
Could this possibly be the return line I pulled out OR could it be the cummins main engine line? It got dark so I put things back together. Could the smaller arms length away line be the line I need to lengthen???

I can post some pics tomorrow but wanted to get this out tonight to see if there were any suggestions.
THANKS!!!
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #19

Quote:
So, I got the rv today and went to the drivers side fuel door. The closest fuel line looked as though it fed away and down towards the generator so before it got dark I popped off the line as described above and about a 1 1/8 wrench removed the line and tube. This tube was probably 15 inches long and probably 1/2 inch diameter. Could this be the wrong line???
I ask because I promise my gen cuts off with half a tank and this line goes to the bottom of the tank and this hose is twice the size of what you guys describe as the diameter of your hoes.
The other line is a long arms length away and looks smaller.
Questions:
Could this possibly be the return line I pulled out OR could it be the cummins main engine line? It got dark so I put things back together. Could the smaller arms length away line be the line I need to lengthen???

I can post some pics tomorrow but wanted to get this out tonight to see if there were any suggestions.
THANKS!!!
I'm pretty sure what you pulled is the main engine line. On mine it's closest to the fuel door. On mine, the genny line is just to the rear and a little deeper in than the engine line. IIRC, my genny line was 10.5-11" long. Total tank is like yours just over 15" deep. With the tank over 7' wide, a hill leaning to the passengers side and half a tank fuel and the genny pickup is sucking air. Hope this helps you.

Chad
Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I've got the same problem that I addressed in an earlier post. I'm thinking the two lines may be switched. Does anyone know which is the pick-up and which is the return line on a 7500 Quite Diesel? My lines are about the same size and are side by side on the bottom passenger side of the genset.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'm pretty sure what you pulled is the main engine line. On mine it's closest to the fuel door. On mine, the genny line is just to the rear and a little deeper in than the engine line. IIRC, my genny line was 10.5-11" long. Total tank is like yours just over 15" deep. With the tank over 7' wide, a hill leaning to the passengers side and half a tank fuel and the genny pickup is sucking air. Hope this helps you.

Chad
Hopefully 3 pics show up. One pic shows the difference between the hose I took out next to the 5/16 and 3/8 hose. The hose I took out is much bigger in diameter.
Another pic shows the hose I removed which is to the left of the tank and was the larger in diameter line. I have fully re-installed that expecting that is my main engine fuel line.
The last pic is the smaller line a full arms length back from the fuel door and towards the back of the tank. I will remove this later tonight and see how it looks.
Now, there is another line in the tank but it does not have a hose that pops off. It is shown in one of the pics on the right hand side of the pic and looks like it has an elbow. This is what I originally thought was the main fuel line. Now I am not sure what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (26).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	138284   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (27).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	138285  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (28).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	138286  
Old 09-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #22
YC1

If you decide to remove that little hose I suggest cutting it close to the clamp then slit it along the edge. This will prevent any pieces tearing off and getting into the line.

Put the hose in a can and have someone turn the generator over to see if any fuel comes out. If so, it is the return line.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Hopefully 3 pics show up. One pic shows the difference between the hose I took out next to the 5/16 and 3/8 hose. The hose I took out is much bigger in diameter.
Another pic shows the hose I removed which is to the left of the tank and was the larger in diameter line. I have fully re-installed that expecting that is my main engine fuel line.
The last pic is the smaller line a full arms length back from the fuel door and towards the back of the tank. I will remove this later tonight and see how it looks.
Now, there is another line in the tank but it does not have a hose that pops off. It is shown in one of the pics on the right hand side of the pic and looks like it has an elbow. This is what I originally thought was the main fuel line. Now I am not sure what it is.
bridluz, seems like when I did mine (probably 5 years ago) I did have to reach a pretty good ways back in there to get at it. I definitely remember that hose popped off like the main line you were speaking of. I can't for the life of me remember how I determined which was the genny line. If you look at the generator where the supply line goes in maybe you can tell the size line it is and then determine which it is on top of the tank. I know it's next to impossible to follow the line when it goes in a bundle of what looks like a thousand wires and hoses. You should be able to tell which line on generator is supply line. If you open the oil and fuel filter access hole the fuel pump is right there. You should then be able to trace where it comes into genny and see the size.

I feel sure the genny hose will be shorter than any of the others. Unless maybe the fuel returns may not even have a hose on them I'm not sure there. When I get home later today I'll have a look on mine and see if I can tell you exactly where it is on mine. Maybe that will help guide you. Good luck.

PS. The 2 smaller hoses look like the size my genny tube is. The larger one is definitely much bigger than the genny line.

Chad
Old 09-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
bridluz, seems like when I did mine (probably 5 years ago) I did have to reach a pretty good ways back in there to get at it. I definitely remember that hose popped off like the main line you were speaking of. I can't for the life of me remember how I determined which was the genny line. If you look at the generator where the supply line goes in maybe you can tell the size line it is and then determine which it is on top of the tank. I know it's next to impossible to follow the line when it goes in a bundle of what looks like a thousand wires and hoses. You should be able to tell which line on generator is supply line. If you open the oil and fuel filter access hole the fuel pump is right there. You should then be able to trace where it comes into genny and see the size.

I feel sure the genny hose will be shorter than any of the others. Unless maybe the fuel returns may not even have a hose on them I'm not sure there. When I get home later today I'll have a look on mine and see if I can tell you exactly where it is on mine. Maybe that will help guide you. Good luck.

PS. The 2 smaller hoses look like the size my genny tube is. The larger one is definitely much bigger than the genny line.

Chad
In my 3rd picture behind those wires was actually a third fuel line. Bingo! That was the gen fuel intake. It was just as you guys described...7/8 wrench and the hose was the smaller 5/16 size. I lengthened the hose about 3 inches. My tank was about 18.5 inches deep.
It took all of about 15-20 minutes. Shoulda done this 3 years ago.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
Old 09-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #25

Quote:
In my 3rd picture behind those wires was actually a third fuel line. Bingo! That was the gen fuel intake. It was just as you guys described...7/8 wrench and the hose was the smaller 5/16 size. I lengthened the hose about 3 inches. My tank was about 18.5 inches deep.
It took all of about 15-20 minutes. Shoulda done this 3 years ago.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
Awesome. I'm glad you found it. I'll agree, I should've done mine after the first time it happened. I know some folks say you can run out of fuel with tube longer and genny running so shouldn't extend it. Those folks also have a larger tank and their genny doesn't cut off after 200 miles of driving. I try to pay extra attention to fuel levels on the rare occasion we dry camp however. Enjoy it!!

Chad
Old 09-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #26
YC1

It only took me 8 years to make the 20 minute mod. Hundreds of other mods but this was just seemed a nusiance.

Tags
fuel, generator