Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

Generator problem

Haven't started my generator in a while like an idiot. Hit the start switch and it just clicks like dead battery. Does it have own battery or tied to house or unit batteries. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Jim
lonestarpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Should be chassis batt in most cases.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

My generator is wired to the house batteries on my gas motorhome.

I’m not sure there’s a guaranteed way to wire the genny.

What year, make model of motorhome and generator?
How many hours on the genny?
How long since you ran it last?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

I believe most gas MHs wire there generator to the house battery.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarpyro View Post
Haven't started my generator in a while like an idiot.

Jim
Just so you know it is not 'like' an idiot. These are things you should know. Things you should be able to figure out on your own.

It is not rocket science, make an effort to learn on your own before asking questions.

What was one of the first things I learned while test driving our first MH? There is a switch on the dash to use the coach battery to start the engine if the chassis battery is dead.

Deduct $100 from the asking price for a new battery.

Next thing I learned was that the was the genny would crank but not start. Deduct $1000 from the asking price for getting an ONAN generator. What I eventually learned was the fuel line was bad and the carburetor was gummed up.

There were only 60 hours on it.

So my first recommendation is to invest in a $88 Harbor Freight genny with a pull start. That way you can charge a dead battery so you can start thing when in the middle of nowhere.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would try pressing the "boost start" switch that momentarily connects both sets of batteries together and see what happens.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Just so you know it is not 'like' an idiot. These are things you should know. Things you should be able to figure out on your own.

It is not rocket science, make an effort to learn on your own before asking questions.

What was one of the first things I learned while test driving our first MH? There is a switch on the dash to use the coach battery to start the engine if the chassis battery is dead.

Deduct $100 from the asking price for a new battery.

Next thing I learned was that the was the genny would crank but not start. Deduct $1000 from the asking price for getting an ONAN generator. What I eventually learned was the fuel line was bad and the carburetor was gummed up.

There were only 60 hours on it.

So my first recommendation is to invest in a $88 Harbor Freight genny with a pull start. That way you can charge a dead battery so you can start thing when in the middle of nowhere.
Grammar and Technical training ^^^^^all in the same post

Instead of buying an auxiliary generator perhaps he should buy a $ 15.00 DVOM do some simple testing and find his real issue?... that way he doesn't have to continually pull start his Harbor Freight Genny all the time to get him going and chance tearing his rotator cuff in the process...or loss of hearing from listening to that $ 88.00 contraption running all the time ....just an idea

Happy Trails
Old 07-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Haven't started my generator in a while like an idiot. Hit the start switch and it just clicks like dead battery. Does it have own battery or tied to house or unit batteries. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Jim

FYI Model / Make / Year / Powertrain in your signature helps with accuracy and will speed up the responses to get to the root of your issue.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #9

Try using the battery boost switch to connect the house and coach batteries to start the generator. If that works, the generator will charge the house batteries. Also starting the engine and letting it run a bit may allow you to get the generator started.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks
Jim
lonestarpyro,

How often do you check your batteries? Are they flooded (wet), gelled or AGM (absorbed glass mat)? How old are they? Are they being charged? If not, they can discharge on you and so many discharges means a shortened battery life.

May I suggest you check each and ensure it has good voltage by using a good digital voltmeter. In the case of flooded batteries, make sure the electrolyte in each cell is adequate. It is presumed you have all 12 volt batteries.

The key is to take care of your batteries by checking them once per month and if your coach is in storage, you should check them more often especially during winter months.

Once you get in the habit, your headache will diminish in regard to battery care.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Grammar and Technical training ^^^^^all in the same post

Instead of buying an auxiliary generator perhaps he should buy a $ 15.00 DVOM do some simple testing and find his real issue?... that way he doesn't have to continually pull start his Harbor Freight Genny all the time to get him going and chance tearing his rotator cuff in the process...or loss of hearing from listening to that $ 88.00 contraption running all the time ....just an idea

Happy Trails
So Rob/Roy my goal was not to write an 'Idiots guide to RVing' but since a concern was expressed about safety I will add some more.

I am an engineer I do not corrrect gammar and pellinh. I hope the use of your name and idiot in the same sentence is not too subtle for you.

I agree that test equipment should be in all RVers toolbox. I maintain anyone with a DVM is not going to ask on a forum where his battery is.

There are two primary ways charge batteries in a RV. The 12 vdc alternator on the drive engine and the onboard 129 vac genny. Both require partially charged batteries and numerous components.

Last year while boondocking, the start battery died. Then the ONAN voltage regulator failed. Out came my 'diverse' and alternate source of power.

I have started engines thousands of times with a pull cord and it only takes a few pulls. I have never hurt myself. Hearing protection is needed for my cheap HF genny. I do not run it all the time. It took an hour to charge the batteries.

If I were to write an 'Idiots guide to RVing' there would be a special chapter for those who gripe about 'stinky' and 'noisy' gennies. The solution is not standing next to them. How hard is that?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #12

The generator could have a lite clicking and that would be the fuel pump. I hear that
when it's cool enough for the glow plugs to come on. If that what it is you just keep
holding the start button until it turns over. My generator starts from the chassis battery
but yours could start from the house battery or it could have it's own battery, you need to figger that out. I just got a small generator as I have had a lot trouble with my generator and I boondock in the winter and I don't want to be stuck. Get a voltmeter
and learn how to use it.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I see after digging you have a Monaco Dynasty. Your Generator should be tied to the House Batteries.

You do have a boost switch... try it...

A DVM means "Digital Volt Meter".... Use it, it can and will be your friend

Please add your RV Year and Model in your signature as others do... It does help when you ask technical or sometimes not so technical questions...

Tags
generator