Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Generator engine code 27. Everyone else thinks it is a xantrex issue. I have fuel filter on the way, but engine is running fine.
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #30

Twinboat - you need to read the whole thread. I've read a lot of your posts and generally they are pretty useful, but there is some context to what you are questioning.

Bigjon - not withstanding your other issues you really should have an inline fuse where your solar connects to your battery terminals. Lots of good reasons to do it including easy disconnect!

Well, it is not likely it is feedback from the battery charging confusing your Onan. Worth eliminating it.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #31

I don't know if the codes are the same, but I have the Service Manual for the KDKCA and it provides this diagnostic procedure for a code 27. I do tend to collect manuals but even then some of the repairs are beyond my tools, time, or skills:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 3.16.17 PM.png
Views:	64
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	257196  
Old 08-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you have the older Trace RC6 control panel?
See page 1-4 for pictures of the various Trace remote panels.
In the lower right corner is a "Push On/Off" button. Push to turn it off.

(Sorry about the off topic post on glow plugs. I realize that is not your issue.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trace Inveter RV3012-GS_Owners_Manual.pdf (783.5 KB, 24 views)
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all. Vito.a I have the RC7remote panel. There is a 'off' button on the inverter itself, tried turning it off, same problem. The manual states, ' the RV series charger will always charge when there is AC power present'
even if the inverter is turned off. So no way to turn the inverter battery charger off. There is a 20 second delay while the inverter 'senses' the AC power, to allow the generator to stabilize. All of this out of my Trace manual. It MIGHT be the fuel filter, 2 things, I just added biphor to this tank of fuel and then it sat for 2 months. AND, when I start the gen after 20-30 seconds it sometimes stumbles badly and 'resets' for 20-30 seconds and does it again, or dies. Always the same code. I was unable to find a fuel filter localy(I live in a rural area) so filter(s) are coming Tuesday.
The tests that distaff posted are interesting but out of my pay grade. BIGJON
Old 08-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon42 View Post
The tests that distaff posted are interesting but out of my pay grade. BIGJON
They were once outside my paygrade too, but my pay kept falling and I found my skills had to expand

Two hip surgeries also meant I could get down on the ground again. Amazing what they can fix these days.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Had a nice long (20 min) talk with a Cummins tech. HE thinks the generator is O.K. He thinks it is somehow 'coach' related. I have an appointment in a week and a half, in the meantime I have shut off all the breakers on the bedroom panel, no change. I have an original escco transfer switch, but it seems they have a good reputation. ? I will continue to try things, tomorrow I will pull the covers and check on the generator wiring and look for issues. keep on trying things, eliminate things. Wish me luck.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Your RC7 has an auto gen start and stop. Make sure you go through the menu on the RC7 and shut it off. I had this issue and that's what it was. Your manul will tell you how...easy.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I have the basic RC7, doesn't have auto gen start. Found the breaker to the inverter on another panel in the bedroom, shut everything off, started gen, 35 seconds later, gen shut down. Same code. When the transfer switch 'transfers' the load, gen shuts down. Still checking things and trying things.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon42 View Post
I have the basic RC7, doesn't have auto gen start. Found the breaker to the inverter on another panel in the bedroom, shut everything off, started gen, 35 seconds later, gen shut down. Same code. When the transfer switch 'transfers' the load, gen shuts down. Still checking things and trying things.
Have you shut off the breaker on the generator and it stays running? and I though all of the models RC7 have auto gen start and stop?
Old 08-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Check your quite hour setting in your Rc 7. Sounds like it thinks it’s in quite hours and shuts itself off
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #40

I would unplug the coach / remote connection to the generator, This is the plug you cleaned and re-connected in post 18. With this unplugged none of the interior generator switches or the RC7 will be connected to the generator. start it from the switch on the generator - if it still shuts down it is most likely in the generator - and is at least not in the RC7. It sounds to me like it will run under no load, and when the transfer switch loads it up it can't carry it. Did you ever change the fuel filter?
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Averill View Post
I would unplug the coach / remote connection to the generator, This is the plug you cleaned and re-connected in post 18. With this unplugged none of the interior generator switches or the RC7 will be connected to the generator. start it from the switch on the generator - if it still shuts down it is most likely in the generator - and is at least not in the RC7. It sounds to me like it will run under no load, and when the transfer switch loads it up it can't carry it. Did you ever change the fuel filter?
Pretty sage advice IMO and also check the fuel pressure and volume.

Happy Trails
Old 08-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Just changed the fuel filter, same problem. Generator still shuts off with code 27. If I shut off the breaker at the generator, it will run continuously no problem. A gain, if I then turn the breaker on at the generator, 30 seconds later it dies, code 27. I have also tried with ALL breakers in the main panel off. Same results. Yes, there were two trace remote panels available, RC7, the one I have, and RC7GS(auto gen start). I do have a appointment with Cummins next week, Just trying to eliminate things before I spend the big $$$. I will try it with the remote connectors unplugged as suggested, stay tuned.

Tags
ems, generator, problem, problems