RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #43

Latest saga. Opened up the transfer switch, everything looked O.k., no burned wires, all connections looked good, tight. Plugged in shore power, transfers fine , all O K. Unplugged shore power, wife starts generator, I was watching transfer switch. 30 seconds in, transfer switch relays start chattering, generator dies. Ahah, I thought. Bad transfer switch ! I had a brand new Progressive industries 50amp transfer switch, so 3 hours later, new transfer switch installed. Started gen, same result !! I now believe the old esco transfer switch was fine, and I think the generator is failing somehow. I am now way out of my pay grade ! I still have an appointment with Cummins on Thursday, so am hoping its something simple. Ya right !
Jon...

bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck Bigjon!
Please update us when it gets fixed...fingers crossed it's simple for them to fix.

Timaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #45

Question

Thanks timaz, I guess its up to cummins now. Stator problem $1200, control board $2000, . It gets worse from there. I WILL update the post when I know something. Bigjon.
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #46

Had a similar issue with my generator, turned out to be trash in my carburetor. Not a difficult fix to remove and clean.
bowties43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #47

Gulf Streamers Club
Diesel Generators don't have Carburetors.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #48

it was the fuel pump on my Onan with less than 50 total hours.
lbfjrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generator fault

Iíve had this happen about a year ago - it turned out to be the air filter

Changed air filter - been running great
jcandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #50

I had this problem couple years ago on my 2006 Fleetwood and it turned out to be a bad house battery
jmann0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #51

Following
Old 08-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
My 7.5 Onan acted similarly and the water pump belt was broken .
It ran a few min at first then would start and die from over heating

Ray
03 Windsor
Just went through the same scenario as Ray and my 7.5 Onan diesel gen was shutting down because of overheating. It had not been looked at since installed in 2005 and the cause was no cooling due to the single belt having broken. The manual suggests replacing belt every 3 years but a Cummins/Onan rep suggested to keep using the Gen until belt broke due to the cost of dropping Gen from our 2006 Winnie Journey. Problem is I was never able to relate any fault code to the belt and that was a huge difficulty because by the time this happened, I had long forgotten about it (until the local technician enlightened me upon opening the unit) and tried everything I could think of for about 6 months. It was an expensive fix but necessary on many counts as the 12 years since the purchase of the coach had caused a lot of wear and tear on the unit. It now functions like the proverbial top.
lpmobilewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #53

Could it be something simple like the fact that the fuel was lower than x level the generator straw could not reach it, so ran a little but starved.

We had one that would quit after the MH fuel tank was lower than 1/2.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #54

Generator problems

I know this might sound dumb. Have you checked the oil level. If not enough oil will run for a short time then shut down. Don't ask how I found this out.
dsisemore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #55

I had a similar problem with 5 kw when I bought my motorhome. I found ones park plug had fouled a fuel blew by into the oil, unit would start, run for a minute or so, and stop.
rluxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon42 View Post
Set out on a trip yesterday, stopped at a rest stop and it was getting warm so started the generator. after 1 minute it quit. restarted, after 1 min it quit. 99 Monaco executive, 10 kw onan. fuel tank is full, ran fine a month ago. When it quits I get a 3 blinking light sequence. ( needs service) No sub-code when I hold down stop button. Turned around and came home. No generator, no trip. Started it again this morning from the extended generator, same results. After 3rd or forth start, at 40 seconds if shakes and smokes, keeps running another 40 seconds, does it again, then 40 seconds later it dies. same 3 blinks, NO sub-code. I started it again, then shut the 45 amp breaker on the Gen. It continued running no problem for 10 min. I then turned the breaker on and 45 seconds later it dies. It appears the when the transfer switch engages that's when it pukes. Fuel filter ? Also, it starts instantly. New to Onan diesel generators. Jon..
remove metal plate to access the actual radiator and top off with antifreeze. Check the actual radiator cap, the resivore my be full but that doesn't mean the rad is. Let me know how you make out.

Relaxinrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, generator, problem, problems