RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #85

working on it Friday and Saturday, will report back with results.

bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #86

It might be as simple as removing the offending screw. Ohm meter and a straight pin to penetrate the sealer over the screw heads , a small wire down to both legs of the 120v with the other meter lead. When you get continuity you found the offending screw. Removing it should cure the problem. There is a chance it tore the insulation up too much but from my experience in the autobody business it will be ok.

shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
It might be as simple as removing the offending screw. Ohm meter and a straight pin to penetrate the sealer over the screw heads , a small wire down to both legs of the 120v with the other meter lead. When you get continuity you found the offending screw. Removing it should cure the problem. There is a chance it tore the insulation up too much but from my experience in the autobody business it will be ok.
Auto body wire cuts are at 12 volts.

This is a 240 volt cable capable of 50 amps.

I'd want to see the damage to the conductors.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Auto body wire cuts are at 12 volts.

This is a 240 volt cable capable of 50 amps.

I'd want to see the damage to the conductors.

As tempting as just removing the screw might be I agree with
twinboat , its to risky .

I would abandon the old wire and find a new path for the new wire

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #89

Quote:
It might be as simple as removing the offending screw. Ohm meter and a straight pin to penetrate the sealer over the screw heads , a small wire down to both legs of the 120v with the other meter lead. When you get continuity you found the offending screw. Removing it should cure the problem. There is a chance it tore the insulation up too much but from my experience in the auto body business it will be OK.
At 120 volts to the frame of the RV a high impedance fault could draw a very high temperature arc. Keep in mind that once ignition occurs in a space you cannot get at with a fire extinguisher the complete destruction of the RV is almost inevitable. So unless you carry a portable fire pump that is tapped directly into your fresh water tank you might not want to take that chance.

HORNETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #90

Being he'll know exactly where the problem is a camera snake might give him a peek at it. Might even be able to get to it to repair.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #91

so here is the current plan. I am too old and crippled up to get up on the roof, so tomorrow my younger tech is going to find the offending screw with the 12v test wire process, then drill a hole and look at damage with a bore-scope/camera snake. (I have one). if damage is repairable, cut a hole in the roof. Maybe 3X3in. Repair or but splice damaged cable, an electrician will do this. Patch hole on roof, seal it up, good to go. This may all seem optimistic, but it will be done carefully and electrically correct. bigjon
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #92

Good Luck on your repair.

bigjon42

I wish you success with your repair. Please let us know what you find.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon42 View Post
so here is the current plan. I am too old and crippled up to get up on the roof, so tomorrow my younger tech is going to find the offending screw with the 12v test wire process, then drill a hole and look at damage with a bore-scope/camera snake. (I have one). if damage is repairable, cut a hole in the roof. Maybe 3X3in. Repair or but splice damaged cable, an electrician will do this. Patch hole on roof, seal it up, good to go. This may all seem optimistic, but it will be done carefully and electrically correct. bigjon
I suggest that you put in the access from underneath. If it is not exposed to the weather it will never leak.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #94

To be electricly correct, you can't have hidden junction box's.
All wire juntions should be accessible.

I suppose you could install a weatherproof flush mount junction box on the roof.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #95

Properly done there's no practical reason it can't be repaired without a J-box - and the fiberglass patch is not that big of a deal. I wouldn't get wrapped up too much in keeping the hole too small - make it big enough to get your work done, not much difference in patching a 6" hole vs a 3" hole IMHO. Glad to know that is how the wire is routed - I noticed all of the branch circuits come out of the panel and go overhead as well - I was able to stick my phone back behind the electrical panel on mine - this is from the drivers side looking towards the passenger side. As others have experienced - the photo as posted is upside down....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	behind panel 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	259318  
Old 09-05-2019, 11:31 PM   #96

No wires are cut, no reason at all for a box.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #97

Quote:
No wires are cut, no reason at all for a box.
Oh, OK, I didn't know you saw the damage.

No strands of the wires were damaged at all and its still capable of carrying 50 amps without heating up ?
Old 09-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #98

This is #10 romex I believe. That's all I've ever seen coming back to my breaker boxes.

Tags
ems, generator, problem, problems