RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Generator Repair

This is coming from a real skeptic when it comes to taking my equipment anywhere to be repaired. The 7.5 Onan generator in my 99 Windsor wouldn't start after I changed the oil, filter & air cleaner. You all know I asked for suggestions on how to fix it. After trying a multitude of those, I ended up "chatting" with Mike Ripberger, service manager at Cummins Northwest in Coburg, OR. He gave me an estimate and I felt he really knew what he was talking about. Took my rig up, parked it in their yard with water & electric hookups. Met with Mike and was convinced this guy knew what it was all about. Aaron, the tech, worked on it for one day while other mechanics serviced the transmission and another found big cracks in the serpentine belt & a worn tensioner. While the total bill was more than I anticipated, we both were very happy to pay it. We cannot say enough for the professionalism & expertise of everyone we came in contact with there. Mike and Aaron are experts. We cannot recommend them highly enough. Cummins Northwest in Coburg is the place to go.

James Wehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

James,

I have also had good service from three different Cummins Onan service centers. Their prices are pretty steep ($129/hour in Sacramento, CA) but I feel using these is better than wondering if an independent shop has the necessary skill. Having said that, some posters on IRV2 have found very good service at independent shops, and poor service at Cummins Onan shops. Go figure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Wehren View Post
This is coming from a real skeptic when it comes to taking my equipment anywhere to be repaired. The 7.5 Onan generator in my 99 Windsor wouldn't start after I changed the oil, filter & air cleaner. You all know I asked for suggestions on how to fix it. After trying a multitude of those, I ended up "chatting" with Mike Ripberger, service manager at Cummins Northwest in Coburg, OR. He gave me an estimate and I felt he really knew what he was talking about. Took my rig up, parked it in their yard with water & electric hookups. Met with Mike and was convinced this guy knew what it was all about. Aaron, the tech, worked on it for one day while other mechanics serviced the transmission and another found big cracks in the serpentine belt & a worn tensioner. While the total bill was more than I anticipated, we both were very happy to pay it. We cannot say enough for the professionalism & expertise of everyone we came in contact with there. Mike and Aaron are experts. We cannot recommend them highly enough. Cummins Northwest in Coburg is the place to go.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #3

Generator repair

We had a problem with our 10 kw while in Texas. Went to Cummins in San Antonio. A tech that works only on Onan Gens. fixed in no time. You pay for well trained tech's, but its worth it.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #4

I took mine to Cummins in El PAso right off I 10.
3 different techs worked on it.
first two obviously didn't know anything about Onan and the third very little more
but they had no problem when it came time to figuring the bill even for the untrained techs. Guess I was paying for their hands on OJT. They even left some of the cover screws 3/4 out of the cover. I finished up their poor work when I got home and inspected closer before leaving on a long trip. I thought the first guy was going to burn up the starter trying to start the generator when that's what I brought it in for, Non starting. I finally told him to stop. Guess he wanted to burn it up so they could sell me a new starter. The second guy accomplished absolutly nothing except wasting more time for me to pay for. The third guy acted like he wasn't up to speed on knowledge of the Onan either but he was a decent mechanic so was able to get it started. If you need Onan service I don't recommend these guys.
There is a truck service company right up the street that does better vehicle service and charges more reasonable rates. Truck Enterprises ask for terry or Lanny. Better vehicle service and they will tell you if they don't know how to do something not just putz while you are paying the bill.
resindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

I still need a water holding tank for my 10,000 onan generator if anyone knows where to get one, It has a little shape to it to fit into the tight space. Cummins El Paso also wanted 125.00 for this little water tank. Onan probably damage this one doing the origional installation. Of course it didn't start leaking untill the waranty ran out. Duh! Big surprise there. It's plastic and holds about a quart of fluid or less. I patched up the present one for now and it seems to be working. I'm just getting tired of getting ripped off by these companies who want a direct link to your bank account just because you have an RV or a boat. Don't these jokers ever understand they are shooting themselves in the foot nailing everyone who needs a repair. Guess the think there are enough suckers out there to keep them going. It's hard to believe Cummins can get away with charging 129.00 an hour labor and half the time they act like they don't know. I'm tired of it I will rip the one of my view and cram it in there first. I'm just tired of getting had and not getting kissed.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
resindiana -- Your 10,000 kw has a Kubuta engine, & a Kubuta dealer would be the best place for service -- The coolant tank was probably cracked before any work was performed -- I have a 07 Camelot with the 10,000 genny & that tank cracked long ago, without anyone touching it -- There is a newer version of the tank on the market, & it sells for about $100.00 -- Don`t have the stock # at this time, but have seen them online -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #7

Thanks William
I thought it was a cummins engine. Well there u go. It's always nice to get some good information. I think I will learn to depend more on IRV2 when I need help or information before I start looking at repair shops.
This really helps. I still kind of think 100.00 for this little plastic tank is a little bit of a stretch. I have been directed to a couple sites that have tanks for 35 to 65.00. I havent found the exact configuration as yet but have found some that are close. If I can't find one in the configuration I may use some thing different and work with the configuration.
Thanks for letting me know it is a Kubata engine.
Happy New Year.
Norm

Tags
generator, repair