Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

Generator Won't Start - Newbie Needs Help...

I have a 2003 Dynasty Chancellor with an Onan 7.5 Diesel Generator that I am prepping a for sale (it belonged to my father) and unfortunately know very little about its detailed operation. I am having problems getting the generator to start . When I press the GEN rocker button in cabinet above passenger seat all that I hear is a "clicking" sound somewhere towards the middle of the coach and the generator will not start or even attempt to turn over. This happens when unplugged, on shore power or when the engine is running. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciative. Thanks in advance! Hard to show & sell a coach when the generator won't start....
lowfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
dead battery
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #3

Ernie, Thanks for your prompt reply. Everything else in the coach operates correctly (house lights, etc.) & engine starts fine. Does the genset use its own battery in this coach?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
RE: battery

Yep, I agree... I've had the same problem...
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfu View Post
I have a 2003 Dynasty Chancellor with an Onan 7.5 Diesel Generator that I am prepping a for sale (it belonged to my father) and unfortunately know very little about its detailed operation. I am having problems getting the generator to start . When I press the GEN rocker button in cabinet above passenger seat all that I hear is a "clicking" sound somewhere towards the middle of the coach and the generator will not start or even attempt to turn over. This happens when unplugged, on shore power or when the engine is running. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciative. Thanks in advance! Hard to show & sell a coach when the generator won't start....

I just went through something similar on my 8000 Onan. Pull out the slide that your generator is on. There should be a wiring harness on the front portion of the generator, I think 7 wires. this connects the remote start switches located in the the MH. When you have disconnected the harness try starting the generator with the start switch located on the generator and see if it starts
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

I am not sure if this the problem but I have a diesel generator and could not get it started until I read the manual realized you have to hold the start button for a count of 15. I forgot what has to warm up but that is the procedure to start one. It will click, click until she fires up. If it doesn't start after that, wait a minute and try again. Best of luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #7

Thanks all. Problem solved. George gets the prize. I had to hold the button down for 10+ seconds, then she started and ran fine. Guess I am too used to the gas Onan start button I have in my Bounder that only clicks if the battery is dead. Anyway, I obviously need to find the manuals and do some reading. Thanks again. Much worry averted!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes when it's cold out the wait time is even longer. Dear wife thought ours was broken a couple times in 35 degree weather. Just sayin'.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The clicking sound is the glow plug heating up. Hold the button for about 20 seconds and it will start up. If it still doesn't crank. Then check the batteries.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, newbie