Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Generator would not transfer

When leaving this morning in our 2005 Endeavor with 8kw Onan generator both AC units were running on shore power. I disconnected power then a couple of minuets later started the generator to get the AC units back on. The generator started and ran normally but the transfer switch would not transfer even after waiting 10 minuets or so. I turned the generator off and restated it about a half hour later while on the road. This time it started and transferred normally. Is there some type of time delay between going from shore power to generator power? I know the AC units have a start delay but none of the AC power came on the first time indicating that the switch did not transfer. Any ideas?
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would guess that your transfer switch stuck and once you started driving, the road vibrations unstuck it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I would guess that your transfer switch stuck and once you started driving, the road vibrations unstuck it.
My thought as well. Transfer switches are not very expensive (couple hundred if I recall correctly) and can develop bad contacts. You might want to consider replacing it sooner rather than later. The risk is that it permanently fails to transfer and leaves you without power in the middle of a trip.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I downloaded the IOTA manual and apparently there is a 1 minute time delay before transfer. The manual suggest that it may be a problem with the controller card. However, for the moment it is working properly. I may try to check the contacts before our next trip.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will have a Iota transfer switch not the top of the line switch and known to give problems, I would susgest if replacing with a ESCO ES50M-65N might be $50 but well worth it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it does that a few times later. And turning generator off and back on a few times gets it to work. I had that problem until that fix on/off wouldn't work.
Took a replacement of the generator regulator to fix it. :(
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Hopefully you turned off the running A/C's before unplugging your shore power if your transfer box is wired genny default (with no shore input power). Otherwise it may have tried to switch under hi loads which can goober the contacts. You didn't say if that's your normal un shore power process but be aware.

Most transfer switches have a short (less than 15sec) delay when switching to the genny (no shore power if genny default) to allow it to come up to RPM and correct voltage.

It's good to unload the running generator for 2-3 minutes before shutting it down also.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
Hopefully you turned off the running A/C's before unplugging your shore power if your transfer box is wired genny default (with no shore input power). Otherwise it may have tried to switch under hi loads which can goober the contacts. You didn't say if that's your normal un shore power process but be aware.

Most transfer switches have a short (less than 15sec) delay when switching to the genny (no shore power if genny default) to allow it to come up to RPM and correct voltage.

It's good to unload the running generator for 2-3 minutes before shutting it down also.
I have not been turning off the AC units when unplugging shore power or shutting down the generator but will do so in the future. Yesterday I tested the generator. With no shore power on I started the generator. It worked perfectly and transferred to generator power in about 30 seconds, just what the transfer switch manual says. I guess I'll let it go until I have another problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Didn't IOTA switches have a recall?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie300s View Post
I have not been turning off the AC units when unplugging shore power or shutting down the generator but will do so in the future.
That could be a root cause of the issue. Switching under load can burn/pit the contacts. Over time, they will start to intermittently make contact. They could also develop some contact resistance which will develop heat under load, speeding up their demise.

With this piece of information, it's possible that the relays are switching, but the contacts are not always making good contact. It will likely only get worse over time.

Quote:
I guess I'll let it go until I have another problem.
It's your rig and your call. But odds are when it finally fails will be at the most inconvenient time in the middle of a long trip. Seems to me it would be easier to change it out at your leisure, then to scramble to find a replacement and change it when it's a crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Didn't hear that. I have one. Got any details?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Do a search on this forum for IOTA transfer switches. It should convince you to replace it before you do have another problem.
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
there is a card in the transfer switch that delays the transfer for a little over one minute. This is give the air conditioner time to bleed down the head pressure, so that you don't have a overload on the generator at start. The system was designed this way because the manufacturer knew, many times, people would be going from campground power, directly to generator power. Sometimes these cards do not work every time. This is not uncommon. I would not worry about it, unless it starts happening frequently. Burned points or loose wires in the transfer switch are possible but less likely. I would not start changing parts until I located the problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
there is a card in the transfer switch that delays the transfer for a little over one minute. This is give the air conditioner time to bleed down the head pressure, so that you don't have a overload on the generator at start. The system was designed this way because the manufacturer knew, many times, people would be going from campground power, directly to generator power.
I see a flaw in your logic: During that time delay, the transfer switch is still in the shore power position, so the air conditioners are still getting power from the shore cord. Then the transfer switch flips, and the air conditioners now get power from the generator, with perhaps a short blip of an interruption. The transfer switch has only two positions, there is no third position where both sources are turned off during the delay. When switching from a live shore cord to a live generator, there will be no delay to allow compressor pressures to bleed off.

Rather than being there for the benefit of the A/C compressors and hot-switching under heavy load, I believe the delay is there to allow the generator time to get up to speed and settle down after starting, and to prevent the switch from rapidly switching back and forth under unstable power conditions.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
I will past below and as I said before Iota is not one of the best transfer switch

Walt

2011 Monaco Coach Vesta Electrical System Recall 12V060000

NHTSA: Action Number: N/A Service Bulletin Number: 12V060000
Report Date: Feb 16, 2012
Component: Electrical System
Potential Units Affected: 249
Manufacturer: Navistar, Inc

Summary: Navistar is recalling certain model year 2008-2010 beaver and certain model year 2009-2011 monaco, and certain model year 2009-2011 holiday rambler recreational vehicles, manufactured from october 25, 2007, through august 26, 2010, equipped with iota its-50r 50 amp automatic transfer switches. The iota its-50r 50 amp automatic transfer switch bus bar and/or electrical connections may be inadequate to handle the electrical load.

Consequence: Electrical overload of the transfer switch could lead to overheating, and a fire, increasing the risk of property damage, personal injury, or death.

Remedy: Navistar will notify owners, and dealers will replace the iota its-50r transfer switch free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or before april 15, 2012. Owners may contact navistar at 1-800-448-7825.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

BEAVER COACH / CONTESSA -- 2008-2010
BEAVER COACH / MONTEREY -- 2009
HOLIDAY RAMBLER / AMBASSADOR -- 2009-2011
HOLIDAY RAMBLER / ENDEAVOR -- 2010-2011
HOLIDAY RAMBLER / NEPTUNE -- 2010-2011
HOLIDAY RAMBLER / SCEPTER -- 2010-2011
MONACO / CAMELOT -- 2010-2011
MONACO COACH / CAYMAN -- 2009-2011
MONACO COACH / DIPLOMAT -- 2010-2011
MONACO COACH / KNIGHT -- 2009-2011
MONACO COACH / VESTA -- 2011

Beaver Coach Contessa 2008
Beaver Coach Contessa 2009
Beaver Coach Monterey 2009
Monaco Coach Diplomat 2010
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 2010
Holiday Rambler Endeavor 2010
Holiday Rambler Endeavor 2011
Monaco Camelot 2010
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 2009
Monaco Coach Diplomat 2011
Beaver Coach Contessa 2010
Monaco Coach Knight 2009
Monaco Coach Knight 2010
Holiday Rambler Scepter 2011
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 2011
Monaco Coach Cayman 2010
Monaco Coach Cayman 2011
Monaco Camelot 2011
Monaco Coach Knight 2011
Monaco Coach Vesta 2011
Holiday Rambler Scepter 2010
Holiday Rambler Neptune 2010
Monaco Coach Cayman 2009
Holiday Rambler Neptune 2011

Notes: Navistar's recall number is 12504.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator