RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi All- we are in the southwest trying to keep cool and the generator is shutting down when the fuel is a little below 1/2. Can anyone advise how to adjust the pickup tube?

Thanks,
Jim Legler
06 Diplomat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi All- we are in the southwest trying to keep cool and the generator is shutting down when the fuel is a little below 1/2. Can anyone advise how to adjust the pickup tube?

Thanks,
Jim Legler
06 Diplomat

Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know for sure that it is shutting down for lack of fuel? Mine has done that with a full tank. After it shuts down look at the indicator lamp on the start switch and check the book for the fault code. It could be overheating or too heavy a load.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim -

First of all, welcome to irv2 We're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. Enjoy the forums and post often, and when you want to be a official member of the forum just let me know.

As far as the pick-up tube, you're talking to the master... ok, so maybe that's a little strong.. How about "A person who has taken it upon himself as a personal quest to fix the dreaded 'generator-quits-at-1/4-tank-syndrome'?"

It's not really adjustable, more like getting a new one and cut it to length. As you may already know, there are two tubes each for both the engine fuel and for the generator fuel; one is for supply and one for return. Obviously, we want to leave the engine ones alone, so let's concentrate on the gen-fuel.

I need to add a disclaimer here: "If You Run Out Of Fuel After Running Your Generator Too Low, It's Your OWN Fault. Ok?"

Now that we got that one out of the way, here's the deal...
Opening the big compartment door on the left side that has the little fuel-door, you'll see several hoses going to the fuel tank. The generator pickup-tube is the one that's the farthest to the rear (at least on my 06 Endeavor, which is the twin-sister to your Diplomat for all intents and purposes, so it should be the same).

CAREFULLY (And I Do Mean THAT!!) undo the fitting and remove the diptube - it should be a black plastic tube about 14" long. Note that the tank itself is about 18" deep, which means the tube starts sucking air about 2/3-3/4 down. A new one can be obtained from Monaco Parts in Elkhart (talk to Traci, she knows exactly what we're talking about here - she's awesome!), and it will be uncut, ie about 18-19" long.

This is where YOU gamble... Do you carefully watch the fuel level when dry-camping for several days or while driving, or do you just let the sounds of silence let you know that's it's time to get fuel??? If you cut the tube at the same level as the engine-tube, you may run out of generator fuel at about the same time as engine-fuel - not a good thing (lemme tell you! .. but don't ask how I know). So decide how far down into the tank you want to let the generator stop drawing and allow enough to get to a fuel-station.

Once you decide how you much you'll gamble, cut the tube at a diagonal and replace it into the tank then attach the fitting (again CAREFULLY!). And it's done!!!

Like you, I'm in the Southwest and it gets darn HOT. I bought this beastie thinking it had a 100 gallon fuel tank for both engine and generator, but soon found it was basically a case of refueling every 50-60 gallons. At least til I solved the puzzle, anyways.

Hope this helps.
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
All my previous ramblings aside, 'Pilot may have a point. If it ain't a simple case of sorta-low fuel, it suddenly becomes a bigger issue.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ron-- thanks for the intel...I will call Traci tomorrow. Hopefully it can catch up with me on this outing.
Jim Legler