Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting a charge out of it

Can anyone tell me whether Monaco wired their converters so that plugging in the coach to shore power will charge both the chassis and coach batteries? If they didn't, was it an option on certain units? And how would one be able to check and see? Whenever I plug my R-Vision 241T into shore power for a couple of days, disconnect and then attach my battery tenders, both chassis and coach batteries indicate a fully charged state.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Put an "ohm" meter or better know as a volt meter across the starting battery when you are plugged in to shore power and see if the voltage is above 13 volts DC or so. That would indicate you are charging. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Aggie the answer is yes. On my Monaco and on several models they installed a Intellitec B.I.R.D system which charges first the house batteries and when the reach 13.2 volts it then charges the chassis batteries. My works fine.

If you call Monaco tech line they can probably tell. On mine I have what is called a Big Boy solenoid which is massive in the engine compartment RRB and is a sure way of knowing.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Aggie the answer is yes. On my Monaco and on several models they installed a Intellitec B.I.R.D system which charges first the house batteries and when the reach 13.2 volts it then charges the chassis batteries. My works fine.

If you call Monaco tech line they can probably tell. On mine I have what is called a Big Boy solenoid which is massive in the engine compartment RRB and is a sure way of knowing.

Thanks! Mine has a Magnetek 7300 Series converter but the data sheet doesn't offer much information; not surprising I guess as these components are installed in hundreds of configurations and models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Put an "ohm" meter or better know as a volt meter across the starting battery when you are plugged in to shore power and see if the voltage is above 13 volts DC or so. That would indicate you are charging. deSanford
Good idea! I was toying with the thought of installing an ammeter on the + side but don't like to mess with series hookups (owner installed malfunction waiting to happen)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Aggie the dual battery charge is not part of the converter. The converter will supply a single output to a device like the BIRD which will split it up to the two battery sets
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Aggie the dual battery charge is not part of the converter. The converter will supply a single output to a device like the BIRD which will split it up to the two battery sets
Gotcha.

What I meant was there was no detailed wiring schematic with options included in the accompanying manuals to my converter system.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Gotcha.

What I meant was there was no detailed wiring schematic with options included in the accompanying manuals to my converter system.
I doubt that your Workhorse chassis came with a B.I.R.D. As mentioned, measure the voltage across the chassis batteries while plugged into shore power to test if the converter is charging them. Disconnect from shore power and start the engine and then measure across the house batteries to see if the alternator is charging them.

Some folks install these to maintain the chassis batteries while connected to shore power:
Ultra Trik-L-Start 5 Amp Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Some folks install these to maintain the chassis batteries while connected to shore power:
Ultra Trik-L-Start 5 Amp Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Bob
Thanks (and Happy New Year!). Battery Tender finally came out with weatherproof units and I've installed the harnesses for them on both batteries so that I can fend off winter's assault on my big Ray-O-Vacs
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nodine, I was using the BIRD as an example and wouldn't expect one to be installed in Roger's MH.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Nodine, I was using the BIRD as an example and wouldn't expect one to be installed in Roger's MH.
OK, was not sure if you caught the fact it was not a diesel pusher.

Bob

2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote