Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #1

Good and Not So Good Years

Our house is sold and should close by the end of the month. I'm optimistic that we can find a 40ft DP as our new home by then. I've been looking at several Monaco Diplomats lately and they look pretty good. As a Monaco owner, do y'all (yes, y'all) know of any models or years to avoid purchasing?

I will add this is our first RV of any type and we will be full timing in about six months. Any feedback is appreciated.

Bob
txaggie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Stay away from 2009, 2010 that was during the Monaco bankruptcy.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

Also check the late 2005 to early 2006 Cummins engine wrist pin problems. There are posts here about it if you search.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
Stay away from 2009, 2010 that was during the Monaco bankruptcy.

This also rings true for a lot of other manufactures as well. As you compare coaches.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post
Our house is sold and should close by the end of the month. I'm optimistic that we can find a 40ft DP as our new home by then. I've been looking at several Monaco Diplomats lately and they look pretty good. As a Monaco owner, do y'all (yes, y'all) know of any models or years to avoid purchasing?

I will add this is our first RV of any type and we will be full timing in about six months. Any feedback is appreciated.

Bob
If you are going to full time I would suggest you move up from the Diplomat and go to a tag axle. The Dynasty is a very nice coach and has a much stronger and quieter frame than the Diplomat and Camelot. If you focus on 2006 and older coaches you can avoid having to purchase DEF to mix with the diesel or the need to endure the particulate burner in the exhaust system.

Also, when looking at older coaches pay particular attention to the age of the tires. You may want to replace all the tires as soon as you purchase just so you know the tires have not been damaged by running at low pressure or jumping curbs. Maybe you can get the dealer to work with you on this.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:55 AM   #6

Appreciate the feedback. Hoping our excitement to join the full timer world will translate to a good buying decision.
txaggie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am in agreement with Bob, we originally started looking for a 2006 Dip or Camelot and ended up very happy with an older Dynasty. While we are not full time we do 2 and 3 month stints at a time and love everything about our coach. As Bob mentioned, the frame is the big differentiator with the Dynasty (Signature and Executive too). Also you generally find a higher level of systems and amenities.

One comment I would point out is... if you are buying a 2006 or older Dynasty while it is a very high quality coach you need to plan some time to learn the coach and sort things out. You may be in for some surprises and frustration if you just buy the coach and jump right in to full timing. Especially since this is your first experience with a coach. Lots of great folks on the forum here with years of experience to assist, so lots of support.

Best of luck with the journey!

Glenn
Old 02-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
I am in agreement with Bob, we originally started looking for a 2006 Dip or Camelot and ended up very happy with an older Dynasty. While we are not full time we do 2 and 3 month stints at a time and love everything about our coach. As Bob mentioned, the frame is the big differentiator with the Dynasty (Signature and Executive too). Also you generally find a higher level of systems and amenities.

One comment I would point out is... if you are buying a 2006 or older Dynasty while it is a very high quality coach you need to plan some time to learn the coach and sort things out. You may be in for some surprises and frustration if you just buy the coach and jump right in to full timing. Especially since this is your first experience with a coach. Lots of great folks on the forum here with years of experience to assist, so lots of support.

Best of luck with the journey!

Glenn
certainly agree completely and would add that 2001-2004 dynasty tag axles coaches are about the best bang for the buck out there, you get high end coach, the best chassis in the business, tag axle, typically Cummins power with Alison trans, imho you need to make sure you get largest engine avail, typically ISL, aqua hot (this will stir a few), tag axle, regardless of what anyone else says is money well spent, dynasty will have solid wood throughout, tile, higher end fixtures, full paint, huge towing capability, excellent power to weight, just find a floor plan you like,
Don't worry about replacing TV and such, relatively inexpensive and easily done.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #9

We have a 2005 Knight and are very happy with it, though at 39' it may not be ideal for full timing. Starting in 2005, interior height was increased quite a bit across the Monaco line up. I don't recall how many inches, but it is noticeable. You may want to consider 2005 and up during your search.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
All the brochures are available still online so you can compare years and options. 10K gen is constant speed kind of nice to have if you tailgate a lot. Three airs on some models if you are down South a lot. Lots of these coaches were special ordered by folks with a ton of options.

Ceiling heights do make a big difference if you are taller as mentioned.

The perfect one is of course the one in my signature.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #11

I know of a nice 2007 Navigator that is going to a consignment lot this week (estate sale). 40' Detroit engine, tag axle, 4 slide, 67,000 miles. I have no interest in it other than helping the family find the consignment lot out in Los Angeles.
Don't know what your budget is and I don't know the final listing price but I can inquire if you want. I drove it from the factory to SC when it was new for the family. The owner was an aircraft maintenance inspector and mechanic all his life. Very picky about maintenance.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
If you focus on 2006 and older coaches you can avoid having to purchase DEF to mix with the diesel or the need to endure the particulate burner in the exhaust system.
Good advice, but don't automatically discount a 2007 model year coach: some (like mine) still have 2006 engines without the particulate filter.

Remember, it's the engine model year that is most important: New engines built in 2007 required the particulate filter, and most engines built starting in 2010 (I think?) require DEF. But engines built before those dates could still be sold and installed after those dates, without needing to retrofit the pollution controls.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post

Bob

Bob, you don't say what year models you are interested in, but we love our 40PBT 2002 Windsor! It has the 8-airbag Roadmaster chassis with air leveling (no hydraulic jacks), side radiator, and doesn't have the "trailing arms" problem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
I know of a nice 2007 Navigator that is going to a consignment lot this week (estate sale). 40' Detroit engine, tag axle, 4 slide, 67,000 miles. I have no interest in it other than helping the family find the consignment lot out in Los Angeles.
Don't know what your budget is and I don't know the final listing price but I can inquire if you want. I drove it from the factory to SC when it was new for the family. The owner was an aircraft maintenance inspector and mechanic all his life. Very picky about maintenance.

you were going to send info to me, never received it Cliffy

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote