Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Good deal or not??

Hey Y'all!!
My wife and I are new to this forum, but have been rving for 7 years. We started off with a 15yr old Allegro Bay MH and then bought a new 5th wheel. After 4 years of 5th wheeling we are ready to go back to a MH and have made a deal for a 2008 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire IV ( from a dealer). The coach has 63,000 miles and appears to be in very nice shape. We talked with the original owners and they said it was in great shape when they traded it--no outstanding issues.
Are there any things y'all would be concerned about if purchasing a coach like this--thanks for any input and we look forward to being back in the motohome lifestyle!!
Mike & Jen
Texmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
YC1

Welcome to the forum.

That is a beatiful RV. Tires may be aged out and a couple of minor things tweaked but it is a solid rv.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

That is a really nice rig, but I hope you made the deal contingent upon a professional chassis inspection at the very least. Does it include comprehensive maintenance records?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When we bought our 07 last april at a dealer I was concerned about failures with all the electronics, motor etc. We purchased a bumper to bumper extended warranty that covers motor, trans. everything that came from the factory options and all for 5,000.00. I just had the backup monitor, hyd jack pump and tank replaced and a faulty intermittent working switch for the patio awing repaired for close to 3,200.00. The warr. is for 4 years or 100,000 miles. It was the best reassurance for all the unknowns....jmho...
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I went through the coach and could not find anything wrong other than the sleep number bed not holding air. My Bride asked if they would trade out our memory foam mattress (which we love) that is in our 5th wheel and they were fine w/that.
We drove it for about an hour over a variety of roads and we loved the ride. The dealership gave us the original owners name and number so we were able to talk with he and his wife about the coach. He had experienced only one major issue and it was resolved under warranty. He was very proactive on maintenance issues. I told him what we were offering and that I did not want to know what he got on the trade, but I asked if he thought it was a fair deal and he said he thought it was a great deal.
The dealer replaced all eight tires w/new Toyo tires so that is a bonus.

Flamebuster--who was your extended warranty through? That is a way better deal then what my dealer is offering.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mike,

Sounds like you are on your way to a great previously owned coach that has enjoyed some good care over the years. I know you'll enjoy that one.

I'm surprised the dealer put you in touch with the previous owner. Most dealers won't do that. I just traded in my 2007 Discovery, and I'd be a little hesitant if my dealer did that, unless I specifically gave him my permission (which may have been the case). I'm sure it won't be a problem with you, Mike, but in these litigious times we live in, when so so many people are all too quick to want to sue others for whatever a lawyer can get them, it'd make me uncomfortable if I were the previous owner. Perhaps it's my years of owning a service business that have made me a bit leary in that regard.

I agree the extended coverage policy is a good bet in your situation. You may want to check out Wholesale Warranties. They are one of the good internet vendors for RV extended warranties. Their service is good and their prices are fair. I've used them for years and been very satisfied. You can do a search for them on iRV2 and see what others have to say. Buying a policy from a dealer is often much more expensive.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The extended warr. is thru American Guardian. warranty/services of Wisconsin inc. PO box 768 Warrenville Il. 60555.
My coach cost 109.000. My cost 5,568.00 . They did say if I had the aqua hot it would be 1,000 more..
I purchased it thru the dealer Johnson Rv. in Salem Ore. there first quote was for 10,000. and I told them to forget it I would take my chances for that much money.. suddenly they made an error it was only 5,568.00.... Glad to hear the coach is looking to be a new adventure for you..
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #8

We drive an 08 Dynasty and you will love that coach. Last of the good ones. They don't make coaches like that anymore. The Roadmaster is a fine chassis. I can only think of 2 expensive problems. Depending o when that coach was manufactured it could have a weakness in the rear frame area. If you do a search I think there is a thread on this subject. Check the dark painted areas for checking in the fiberglass. Not really fixable. I think by 08 that problem disappeared.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmac View Post
Hey Y'all!!
My wife and I are new to this forum, but have been rving for 7 years. We started off with a 15yr old Allegro Bay MH and then bought a new 5th wheel. After 4 years of 5th wheeling we are ready to go back to a MH and have made a deal for a 2008 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire IV ( from a dealer). The coach has 63,000 miles and appears to be in very nice shape. We talked with the original owners and they said it was in great shape when they traded it--no outstanding issues.
Are there any things y'all would be concerned about if purchasing a coach like this--thanks for any input and we look forward to being back in the motohome lifestyle!!
Mike & Jen

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't think you could go wrong if the price is right! You might want to check with Escapees about the extended warranty. I saw in their last magazine where they are endorsing an extended warranty company, don't remember which one.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #10

good luck on your new purchase ... Next week I am looking at a 2009 Monaco monarch 33sfs ... looking for my first RV ... if anyone has any insight or opinion on the monarch I would appreciate it ... thank you
Jazgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We had an inspector out today and only a few minor issues that I have dealt with and done on previous rvs so we are a go. Thanks for your suggestions and we hope to see y'all on the road!!

2008 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire
2015 F-150 toad