Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Hey GoneFishin, we used to have a winhter house in Sun City Grand for 5 years, before selling house in Washington state and the house in SCG to come here to Prescott....
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Update on Parvo outbreak in Prescott... Gloria just told me she heard there is over 100 reported cases..guess I'm out of the loop...I hadn't heard that....our two guys are vaccinated, so are okay....
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
Retired Senior Member

I'm gonna break in here and answer some comments way back up the thread. This parvo stuff scares the heck outta me. Seems I read somewhere that there is an un-treatable(?) strain out there.

The Dynasty has an 8.3L Cummins (hmmm, if it had a 9.3 would I have gotten 9.3MPG?).

Yep, the Franks has been a disappointment from delivery. It came with loose interior wiring connections even though it had a clear sign-off by their QC. This should have warned me. The resident campground host (40' Land Yacht) had a Hughes and said his had never tripped out.

For those considering a surge protector/booster, I cannot recommend the Franks. It has been a disappointment. Trick looking piece of gear. Much greater bling-factor than the Hughes unit, but it has some issues. As long as the current draw is relatively low, it works like a charm. Kicks that voltage up so quick you can hardly see the meter change. But, dayemn, ya pay $400+ for the gadget, ya expect it to melt before it leaves ya in the dark!

Momma, y'all would be proud of me. I broke out my two strands of plastic motorcycle lights and hung them from the main awning struts. Was a big hit at the scooter rally.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Momma, y'all would be proud of me. I broke out my two strands of plastic motorcycle lights and hung them from the main awning struts. Was a big hit at the scooter rally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...well now Bama...Mama says that those two strands of lights is what brought you your good trip...so now that means you have to put them out each trip to keep up the "Good Trip" Karma!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #19
Retired Senior Member

I don't think TOWMBO would allow "Her RV" to be seen with that gaudy stuff hanging on it. Although she did order the lights as a birthday present. The unspoken assurance was that I use them on "my" outings.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Okay, the parvo stuff scares the heck out of me too... 4 dogs, always travel with us. We go up to Prescott for the Central AZ Motorcycle Trials competion at Alto Pit Sept. 23 (I think that's a state park)... how does parvo spread?

Nice to know there are several of us from AZ... someone out there can understand why I think the coach A/C should work (with no problems) when it's 115 out!

I still don't know what the Frank thing is for (sorry...), could you please explain for those of us less knowledgeable! Thanks in advance...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 AM   #21
Retired Senior Member

Hey bsavage, the gadget is a step-up transformer that automatically changes "taps" when the supply voltage drops below a pre-set level (usually around 112VAC). It is also claimed to provide protection against voltage "spikes" (very rapid rise in voltage such as a nearby lightning strike).

I can watch my digital voltmeter as the load increases and voltage drops, the readout will suddenly jump from 112V to about 121V when the booster steps in. The AC units like 120V better than 112V.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by teofff:
Where in Prescott is the dog show?

The show is at the Old Home Manor on 2100 Perkinsville Rd, Chino Valley. Kind of a dustbowl place but the show itself is on grass. They have sprayed the grounds with parvocide but who knows? Our boy actually had Parvo as a puppy--our entire litter did at 6 weeks However we saved all of them--mainly cared for them at home so they had constant love, attention and the vets/vet techs came to us. We were blessed to have great friends who helped out! So Surf is pretty immune to it but it is a VERY scary disease. It is very prevalent in Phoenix in the summer/spring but you don't hear about it as much for some reason.

Generally most dogs that are healthy and a bit older and have had their vaccinations are protected.

thanks for the info!

Karen
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RonNBama:
I'm gonna break in here and answer some comments way back up the thread. This parvo stuff scares the heck outta me. Seems I read somewhere that there is an un-treatable(?) strain out there.

There was one here in the Phx area last spring/summer--very virulent and different than other strains. A number of puppies were lost to it

Karen
Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bsavage:
Okay, the parvo stuff scares the heck out of me too... 4 dogs, always travel with us. We go up to Prescott for the Central AZ Motorcycle Trials competion at Alto Pit Sept. 23 (I think that's a state park)... how does parvo spread?

Nice to know there are several of us from AZ... someone out there can understand why I think the coach A/C should work (with no problems) when it's 115 out!

Well parvo/distemper, etc are scary things. The vet thought my puppies got it from FLIES!! they were only 6 weeks old and we would take them out to the puppy playground Jeffrey made for them to play and maybe get a bit worn out
The flies were bad that spring and the puppies would get flies on their noses, bodies and we would swish them off. BUT...........vet said one fly on the nose that had been on feces and whammo--parvo which spreads like wildfire through a litter of 10 puppies! Basically it spreads through feces--smelling another dog's can do it and TRY and stop a dog from doing that

In the Cave Creek area as well as all of AZ, valley fever is a big issue too--from the dust. It's a spore that is in the dirt and once dirt is disturbed--it is in the air and dogs/humans/etc can get it.

so another thing to worry about............
I'm sure your 4 will be fine as long as they are vaccinated.

Karen
Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2 1/2 year old chocolate lab has valley fever. Thank God we have a great Vet... originally thought it was a torn tendon in rear leg, prior to doing surgery Vet put her under and did the kind of X-rays you can't do when they are awake, suspected valley fever, confirmed with blood tests. Valley fever in dogs forms lesions on their bones which makes them limp, replicating a ligament tear. Medication controls it very well, but she'll probably be on it for life.

Hi to all from AZ, Karen, glad your were able to treat your litter effectively. I breed Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (I'm a new breeder, but lots of good mentors).

Brenda, of
Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bsavage:
Our 2 1/2 year old chocolate lab has valley fever. Thank God we have a great Vet... originally thought it was a torn tendon in rear leg, prior to doing surgery Vet put her under and did the kind of X-rays you can't do when they are awake, suspected valley fever, confirmed with blood tests. Valley fever in dogs forms lesions on their bones which makes them limp, replicating a ligament tear. Medication controls it very well, but she'll probably be on it for life.

Brenda,
We also have a dog with Valley Fever He took a Best in Show last year at the Prescott show and then crashed out of nowhere--quit eating and had neurological signs--dragging his right front leg, NO energy--he could barely lift himself outside to do his business. His Valley Fever test was negative so off he went to the Vet Neuro center where they did CAT scans, MRI, etc. They thought he had DISTEMPER!!! I told them he had a vaccination just a few months previous and they said it didn't matter. So WHY is it we vaccinate???
Anyway, VF can manifest in MANY different ways--seizures, neuro signs, limping, coughing, listlessness, etc, etc. My vet said you throw the book away with VF! IT is horrible.
I'm so glad your Lab is doing well. Make sure the vet checks liver values often. Surf is no longer on the meds--the highest his titer EVER went was 1 to less than 2!! His liver and kidney values started to skyrocket so he had to come off the meds and so far so good!

This is not meant to scare people from visiting AZ but to let you know if you have been here and your dog has some different symptoms that your vet doesn't understand, let them know you visited AZ. The spore is usually found in the air in new construction areas or IF you dog digs!!!! Our neighbor put a pool in so that is how we think Surf got it. Also depends on your dog's immune system as our other 4 mastiffs did not get sick. surf is the "worrier" of the bunch so his immune system is not the best.
Long post but so happy your dog is doing so well. Congrats on your litter of Cavaliers. Do you show at all?

Karen
Old 09-13-2007, 04:23 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Karen, I agree... Valley Fever is scary, and often mis-diagnosed. But, thank God it can be treated. Thanks also for the tip on checking Liver Values. Glad to hear Surf is doing well. We don't show the Cavaliers, maybe someday down the road, but we're so busy with everything else (and still making a living) that I don't think we can squeeze one more thing in right now! That's a good thing, though, we're having a great time!