Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #1

Goodbye American Eagle, hello HR Endeavor!

I went to pick up my 1996 American Eagle today, cash in hand. I've been dealing with the seller for months and the coach has been up for sale for a year in April.
The unit is listed in CA Inland Empire on Craigs list, January 25th or so is the ad date. $40K, I was getting it for 35k. It's had an issue where a side panel was replaced, a tree fell into it as the story goes. This was my second time looking at it and I drove it this time because as I said, I was IN this coach. After an hour of going over the operation and some nagging but not deal breaking issues, the wife suddenly says........."We have to make a decision." I said I just have a question about the joining of this panel, it looked like the trim piece was pulling away. Then she says, "let's just put it away". I said what the what? Are you serious? She says it's getting late and they need to put it away before dark. I said I'm about to hand you 35,000! We agreed on this price in September of last year. He's had it for sale since, no takers. I was the taker today! So, when she said that I said, ok, I guess we're done. I told the husband that's the rudest thing I've ever seen. Then I offered him 30k as a kind of insult which he declined.

So, I called a guy with a 1998 34' Holiday rambler I was looking at. It's an endeavor with 59k miles on it, original owner, perfect shape inside and needs a rubout on the exterior and new decals on outside, the owner has the decals but labor is gonna be expensive.
It has the freightliner with the 275 hp cummins diesel. The Eagle drove like a dream. Will I notice a difference in the ride of the Holiday Rambler? Better yet, tell me about your HR and how it drives and rides. I'm probably going to buy the unit tomorrow unless there's any red flags. I checked the cap seams when I looked at it and they were well serviced. This coach was my second choice but I'm liking the smaller 34' and slide vs the 40 and no slide eagle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holidayrambler.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	56659   Click image for larger version

Name:	holiramb.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	56660  

Name:	hrambl.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	56663  
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have the same coach, only ours is a 2001 and is 38 feet. It has been good to us so far but only had it 18 months.

I removed the dining table and chairs and custom built a booth/dinette that converts into a bed for additional sleeping space. Other than that, it is pretty much stock.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
We have the same coach, only ours is a 2001 and is 38 feet. It has been good to us so far but only had it 18 months. I removed the dining table and chairs and custom built a booth/dinette that converts into a bed for additional sleeping space. Other than that, it is pretty much stock.
Here is a pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3542572576.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	56671  
Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply B-run. How does the 275 hp cummins move the coach on the open road? I'll be pulling a 23' daycruiser from Los Angeles to Havasu and points east with some steep grades.
I don't want to do a lot of engine upgrades and know I may be a lil slow uphills, that's fine.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
Thanks for the reply B-run. How does the 275 hp cummins move the coach on the open road? I'll be pulling a 23' daycruiser from Los Angeles to Havasu and points east with some steep grades. I don't want to do a lot of engine upgrades and know I may be a lil slow uphills, that's fine.
We have the ISC 330 which is an 8.3L and is more than enough power. Since your coach is a 34 footer and obviously weighs less, I would think the 275 would be ok but others with more experience on this site may chime in with some other thoughts. How much does the boat and trailer weigh?
Old 02-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
JDA

I have a HR Endeavor 37' small Cummins with a Banks System. It had 34,000 miles when I purchased in 2006. It now has 57,000 miles on it. Cruises 70 mph with 23' HD car trailer, 5000lb jeep, firewood and extra water on trailer. Slow going up Cajon Pass or Indio grade. I pull those passes in early am hours when it is a little cooler. Never had an once of problem with motor, trans etc.. I have had a few little issues including paint and decals but none that would stop me from buying another HR. I did not like the looks of the cabinets in the HR. hardwood doors were one color and the face frames were another color because they were not hardwood.
I just purchased a 2006 40' Country Coach Inspire with a Cat 400 hp and solid hardwood cabinets. CC has 3 slides instead of the 1 that I had in the HR. CC is a much heavier coach with independent suspension and 11R x 22.5 Tires. Make sure that you get a swinging deal because it is going to take plenty of $ to make the exterior look good on the Older HR.
Good Luck!
Jim Andersen
JDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is a 2000, but it's like new interior wise, if your concerned about power which I wouldn't be! Change out the muffler for an Aero XL , for power & MPG.

If you like it and it checks out the quality is much better than expected.

I replaced the carpet & couches (Ikea), added a resd fridge ready to go 100,000 miles.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Don't have an Endeavor but do own a 2001 Imperial. Initial ride and handling were ok but as time wore on I didn't feel it was living up to the Roadmaster ride hype. Replaced the front shocks with Koni. Ride was very improved. Since that worked so good, I replaced the rear shocks with more Koni's. The ride now just floats down the road. Monaco used Monroe which were/are notorious for going bad rapidly (around 40,000 miles.) If you search the rv boards you will find out the colors of the various shock manufacturers. Worth a look!
Good luck and safe travels!

P.S.
Sorry about the change in type but I hit something and don't know what it is or how to correct it.
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 1998 37 WDS model and we got it in 2007 and love it. Welcome to the family......
Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

I bought it today. I drove it and found it much better mannered than the 40' Mountain Master Eagle chassis. It was extremely quiet and my wife felt it was better mannered than the Eagle.
The only issue is the dash air quit working. I asked what that meant, he said it didn't come on. He thought his dad had done the same repair a few years ago, maybe 10, some switch. I immediately deducted $1,000.00 and he was fine with that.
It has the tracking satellite which I don't have a clue on how to work, but it's the older analog Dish system.
There was a repaired small leak under the kitchen sink that had been repaired, it was the drain hose that kinked. No damage to subfloor or cabinet.
This is my 4th coach and the 10th or so I've looked at over the past year. I know they all take a little work and to me that's a lot of the fun of motorhoming, just tinkering or as we say the Zen relationship with the coach.
The best part of getting the 34' is that it fits in my driveway. This was the single most deciding factor. I own a business and I often get a wild hair about a trip to the desert, RV resort or Havasu. I call the wife and she has me wheels up ready in less than an hour.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #11

A few more pics. It's not as oxidized as I was thinking. This is without being washed in quite a while, months.
I think I'll start with a wash.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #12

The rest of pics from today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hrcloseside.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	56713   Click image for larger version

Name:	hrfront.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	56714  

Name:	hrlongside.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	56715   Click image for larger version

Name:	hropendoor.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	56716  

Name:	hrrearview.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	56717  
Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Looks good.....

Remember all the white is not paint, its gel coat you can compound it as much as needed to a super shine as is the roof.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The "secret" of climbing hills with a lower HP diesel is to keep the RPMs UP and get a running start. Then when they drop downshift to increase the RPMs. If you lose the RPMs you might not get them back and you will be going up the grades sloooow. Do not take the grades in cruise or with the mode (economy) on. deSanford PS engine will operate cooler also with higher RPMs. A pyro and boost guage are helpful.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote