Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Got her home! 1400 miles without a hiccup!

Well, the great adventure was great but not much of an adventure. My new to me 1999 LaPalma performed perfectly on the 1400 mile trip home to Oregon from Arizona.
I couldn't be happier about the coach or the deal I made on it. I bought it sight unseen then found some pretty bad stuff re the seller. Had an independant inspection.
Virtually all of the small issues uncovered in the inspection were corrected before I arrived. I was treated very well by the folks at Superstition Springs RV in Apache Jct, AZ.
I had allottted myself 3-4 days to make the trip in case I ran into problems along the way but was pleasantly surprised first at the condition of the coach and then at the way it performed on the trip home. Made it home in a day and a half.
The only real problem was that the speedo stopped registering the correct speed somewhere in SoCal. 1370 miles, averaged 7.3mpg for the trip and I was running fast(65-75) as I realized near the end of the trip when I passed some roadside radars. Several speedo checks confirmed the odometer is spot on.
I pushed it pretty hard all the way and except for the terrible SoCal roads shaking a couple of screws loose(and the speedo), not a single problem of any sort
It's really about 150 miles through southern California and those have to be the absolute worst roads anywhere. Once clear of there, it was smooth sailing all the way through Cali and Oregon.
I have a lot to learn about this baby and will have many questions starting with the very basics.
I love this thing and can't wait to get it setup the way I want and get to the using it part!
Thanks for all the input here.
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Congrats...Pictures Please....
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Glad everything worked out for you. I agree that I-5 in So Cal is really bad. The repairs on the road are worse that the original potholes and the expansion joints on overpasses are really bad. So did you drive that pass on I-5 going by Mt Shasta up and over into Oregon. I believe it is a 6% grade for six miles. If you did then how was it on the climb and coming back down?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Yeah Mike, the socal freeways are just as bad as I have seen.
Yes, I came up through Shasta. The pass you're talking about is Mt Ashland. It wasn't really bad at all, I could pass all the trucks with ease and really only got bogged down once when some guy trapped me behind a truck and I lost my momentum. I was still able to accelerate after that though. I was pleasntly surprised at the power. Remember, I was not loaded or towing so we shall see.
I thought the transmission performed spot on in all those situations except a couple of times when I felt it held a bit long taking me all the way up past 4500r's and when I let off to get it to shift, I lost so much between shifts it wasn't worth it. I will learn it's quirks.
I gotta tell you, I have made that drive hundreds of times in both directions and there is nothing much prettier than going through Shasta in the dusk or dawn hours. This morning I came through right around sunrise and looking out that giant window of my new class A at the beautiful scenery really set the hook in me.
I can't wait to get out in this thing! Couple of things I need to do to get it comfy for me but I don't ever want to use the excuse again that "I am just not comfortable in a hotel room" whan my wife and I consider a getaway. I'm really not and never rest well and am never able to enjoy those "getaways" that much. This is a whole new world and I can't wait!
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
...Adlerx, I must admit I was skeptible at first about your decisions, but I gotta hand it to you, what a wonderful story. I know you are so proud as we all have had that moment. It's wonderful that everything worked out for you and a safe trip home. As before mentioned, please post some photo's for us to see. Travel safe,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #6

Really glad that having the 3rd part inspector go through it for you paid off in dividends.

Sounds like you are now going to be a very happy camper.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #7

Well the Mt Ashland pass was a real test to your MH. I guess you don't have a transmission or an over heating problem. With my fully loaded 48K lb MH pulling the toad was interesting going up and down the pass. Going up was the first major climb in my MH. At first I didn't downshift enough so the radiator temp climbed until I got a warning light so I downshifted once more and it cooled right down. The biggest problems for both trucks and MHs is the impatient cars that get in your way as what happened to you. Once you loose the momentum it is hard getting it back in that steep of a climb. Cars cannot stand to be behind you and just wait for 15 seconds. I stopped at a truck place in Grants Pass and had a long talk with a truck driver who went over that pass all the time and he told me how to do it. I guess I was afraid the first time to damage the motor because my boost guage was pegged at 32 lbs. My max RPM is 2100 and he told me to put it at 1800 (80-90% of max for horsepower) and keep downshifting so the speed was where I wanted it and the rpm at 1800 and not to worry about the boost because it is all software controlled. Coming back (which is worse) I downshiffted so I ended up in fourth gear at 1800 rpm which was right at 48-50 mph and was perfect for me. The MH just kept on pulling because I was using all 515 HP at that rpm. As everyone else has said I think you got a real good deal on your MH and I wish you a lot of luck with it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Seeing is believing.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's good to hear your first trip went so good for you.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #10

Congrats on the find and the great trip home. You will have fun "making" it your own, I have done it once and am in the process for the second time. It is a lot of work, but very rewarding too.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Alright !!!

I'm glad that everything went well. I love that drive through Shasta also, one of my favs.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote