RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Grab Handle Light

I went to www.superbrightleds.com and purchased a 1157 automotive led light. $4.99 plus $5.00 to ship. Then a trip to my local junk yard and for free I got a socket for the 1157 bulb. I think it was from a Honda. Although it is a single filiment bulb and socket, you need a socket with two wires. Then I took off the grab handle and inserted the light and socket in the bottom chrome bracket. It fit nicely. Drilled a 1/4 inch hole through the coach sidewall and put the wires in. Four screws removed the passenger console and the wires inside are clearly marked. The yellow wire with a black trace is marked porch light pwr. Tapped one end into that and the other wire into one of the ground wires. Done. The only caution is that led lights will not work if wired backwards. I tested the setup several times during the installation. I didn't take any pictures but it is really a simple job. I have to wait until dark to see the full effect.

PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #2

sounds interesting
post pics.thats somthing id like to do.my friends 07 endeaver has lights in his bar that are stock but i did not get that option.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I wanted to take pictures as I was doing the job, but ---- the batteries in my camera were dead. To take pictures now, I would have to take it all apart.

There are only 6 screws that hold the grab handle in place. Take it off and see how much room you have inside the chrome brackets. The bottom bracket on my diplomat is very big and holds the light and the socket with room to spare.

If you go to the web site with the light bulbs, you will see many options and many sizes. Pick the color and size you want. Then take it to a junk yard and match it up.

The wires inside the passenger counsel could be different than mine. I used the porch light switch because it did not go through a relay.

Sorry about the pictures.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
PizzaGuy,

I liked your idea so much I went right to the web site and bought a light and a socket. Socket only cost 99 cents, so I figured that was easier than a junk yard.

More info and pictures here.

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm ordering the light parts tonight, But I would really like the step light system. Only I seem to always get too close to curbs and they would be junk in a month, if that long....

mike
Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
I would really like the step light system. Only I seem to always get too close to curbs and they would be junk in a month, if that long....
Mike,

The SureStep additions are really nice. I tried to take that picture above with them lit, but they have motion detectors and every time I would get the camera set up for the shot, they had gone out again. I thought the same thing as you about them sticking out, but they only add about an inch and a half of width to the step. They do not stick out any further than the body of the motorhome when the steps are in.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
PizzaGuy,

I liked your idea so much I went right to the web site and bought a light and a socket. Socket only cost 99 cents, so I figured that was easier than a junk yard.

More info and pictures here.

sick

gonna order the parts today
Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Robin
Glad you liked it. It looks great on your coach. The best part was how easy it was to do. I like your site and other mods you have done.

Don
Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #9

Hey All,

Curious as an 1157 bulb puts off a fair bit of heat, have you left it on for an evening yet and seen if the handle it hot to the touch, or possibly doing damage to the sidewall? I am intterested in this mod but worried about the high heat implications.

Tony2
Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Tony, they are talking about an LED replacement for a 1157 bulb - no, or very little heat.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #11

Hello Rex,

Thanks for the reply, I was following gto19's link at http://www.robmorgan.net/Dip/Mods.htm#grabhandle
and he mentions he went back to the standard bulb and that is what made me curious about the heat aspect.

Thanks,

Tony2
Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2 View Post
Hello Rex,

Thanks for the reply, I was following gto19's link at http://www.robmorgan.net/Dip/Mods.htm#grabhandle
and he mentions he went back to the standard bulb and that is what made me curious about the heat aspect.
Tony,

That's my write up. I used an 1156 socket (with the single contact) but bought two LED replacement bulbs - one in amber and one in white, just to see which one I liked better. Ended up chosing the amber one. I did not use a conventional automotive bulb, which, as you say, would have generated a lot of heat.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #13

Ahhh Ok, I misread all the way through!! lol sorry and thank you for clarifying it all!!

I just got back from the store and ended up purchasing a small side marker socket and 194 bulbs which are much smaller physically then the 1156/1157 (Did the same bought a clear which is commonly used in dash lights and an amber which is commonly used in ide marker lights). Sooooo I am hoping it wont generate too much heat and all will be well!! From what I saw the 1156/1157 is about 25 watts, and the 194 is only about 5 watts so I am hoping it is bright enough too!!

Keep you posted,

Tony2
Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #14

P.S. Robin_M,

Nice pics and info on your site...........thanks!!

Tony2