Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

Gremlin in our 02 Monaco Dynasty Baroness

We are the happy owners of a 2002 Monaco Dynasty Baroness with a 400 ISL and 31,000 miles.

A couple of weeks ago while driving home from Utah, the Stop and Warning lights came on after a quick stop in St George. Managed to limp her home and have replaced the fuel filters after running some tank cleaner through the system. Also found the radiator cap was bad so it was replaced. We still have a gremlin in the system.

Took the coach for a short drive and noticed the Stop and Warning lights sometimes went off when stopped at a traffic light. Within a couple of seconds the Stop light would come back on. After pressing on the accelerator once the light changed to green, the warning light would come back on. Seems to be an intermittent problem.

Sometimes after the coach is started, there is no response from the accelerator pedal. Once the pedal works again, the Stop light will come back on and shortly after, the Warning light. Have calibrated the accelerator pedal according to another post. Not sure which pedal we have?

A couple of times both lights are on, but I can raise the RPM to 2100. More often when both lights are on it will only go to 1700 RPM.

Also during driving, going around corners sometimes results in both light going out, only a short time later (matter of seconds), the Stop light will once again come on followed by the warning light.

Not too sure which avenue to take next? A trip under to coach to check the wires on the ECM? Any recommendation for a reasonably price tester I can plug into under the dash and at the engine bay? Last thing I want to do is take her to a mechanic only to find they cannot find the issue but know how to calculate a hefty bill.

Any suggestion(s) will be greatly appreciated.
norcalhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

Hi Norcalhemi; Nice Dynasty. I think I remember seeing your coach at the Grass Valley dealer on line. You have tried some fixes that a lot of us would try for the problems you have posted. To me it sounds like there could be a connection problem or a sensor that might be going bad. IMHO I would want to know what codes were thrown by the engine ECM. This will give you a better place to start, otherwise you start to guess and do so much replacing of parts you almost can't remember where you started. I have the Silver Leaf system on my 01 Windsor and it comes with a diagnostic section. There are diagnostic tools on Amazon that are made for heavy duty trucks and coaches. I can't remember the type of port diagnostic you have. It is a J something or the other and someone here will surely get that info to you. I personally would find out what codes the engine ECM has thrown so you have a place to start. I think having some type of diagnostic tool is a must as it could save you the cost of having a shop charge you a lot of money for just reading the ECM with no fix in the price. Even if you called Cummin's as I did once with a problem, they will want the codes thrown by the ECM. I saved myself about $500+ by having the Silver Leaf and replacing a sensor that was bad myself. No diagnostic fee and no shop charges. Somethings are simple as a sensor replacement and of course some are not. Let us know what you find out as we put the info in our files. Hope this info helps as not getting the problem solved is annoying. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #3

You are correct about our coach coming from Dimartini in Grass Valley. We lived in Yuba City at the time.

I have learned to maintain the coach myself versus paying RV facilities to fix an issue and then find out later the issue returned. This is a new one for me so I might be able to find the issue using this forum.

I am doing the simple things right now other have suggested. Looking to find a reasonably price unit to plug into our coach to see if any codes leads to a solution. I've done some research and do not believe our dash or ABS light will flash a code when certain switches (Idle as an example) are engaged.

I have heard of Silverleaf but not sure of cost and how to install. Will look further into this unit once I find the solution to our current issue.

Thank you
norcalhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Hi again Norcalhemi; I agree. One thing you might try, just for the heck of it, would be to throw the chassis disconnect switch to the off position for a couple of minutes to see if any codes that could be triggering the warning lights will drop out of the ECM. It is an easy try. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I have has some success with this procedure. If a sensor or component is truly bad the ECM will show the code again.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased a heavy duty diesel code reading tool and have been very happy with it. Previously I had bought one of the China knockoffs and had to return it.
This new tool is an OTC 3418. It comes with both a 6 and 9 pin Deutsch cables so it will work with HD J1587 / J1708 and J1939 CAN. It will also read ABS and transmission codes as well as clears codes. It has paid for itself several times.

https://www.otctools.com/products/3418-hd-reader
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty