RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #1

I have a model 5800 Sanicon and the grey water bypass is not working. I've backed the elbow out on the intake side of the pump. I've disconnected the bypass hose and it is clean. I've removed the 3" inch hose going into the pump and I don't see anything wrong although the way it is designed you can't see much. I can see the grey water moving thru the bypass hose when the pump is running, but, when I shut off the pump the movement thru the bypass hose stops. I called the help line and since Thetford has purchased Sanicon, customer service isn't what it used to be. Please don't turn this into a "I like" "I don't like" "Why would you want one" discussion. I'm looking for a solution.

bg1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #2

I have a model 5800 Sanicon and the grey water bypass is not working. I've backed the elbow out on the intake side of the pump. I've disconnected the bypass hose and it is clean. I've removed the 3" inch hose going into the pump and I don't see anything wrong although the way it is designed you can't see much. I can see the grey water moving thru the bypass hose when the pump is running, but, when I shut off the pump the movement thru the bypass hose stops. I called the help line and since Thetford has purchased Sanicon, customer service isn't what it used to be. Please don't turn this into a "I like" "I don't like" "Why would you want one" discussion. I'm looking for a solution.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The water moves thru the bypass hose at such a slow pace, you may not be able to notice it -- I have the same set-up,& at first, didn`t think mine worked either, but it does -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

BG1811 -

The grey water bypass will unclog when you fire up the pump. If you see liquid moving in the clear tube while the pump is running you should be good to go. As Bill mentioned it is slow specially when you first open up your grey valve.

Does your system look like the one below? I know they have had a number of versions and I think they had a special version for Monaco's.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
bg1811....On the older models that bypass was I think a 3/8" fittings and hose. I had the same problems and contacted Sanicon. They sent me out 1/2" fittings and a new section of hose. The 1/2" fittings fit into the same hole as the 3/8". Apparently they used really thick 3/8" fittings. Remove your fittings and replace them with the 1/2" size. They are easily acquired at Home Depot or any hardware store.

Another secret is to cut some of the threads off of the new fittings (be careful, this makes them tough to install) and then screw them in so they do not protrude too far into the flow of water.

Finally, when I think mine is plugged or just want to make sure it is clean, I'll close both of the grey and black water valves momentarily while the pump is running. You'll see the large black hose from the sewer outlet to the pump constrict. This creates a lot of suction and will suck out whatever is in the by pass hose.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm new to using Sani-Con and didn't even know it had a bypass. I also have the Model 5800, but the Camelot Owners Manual and the Sani-Con Instructions state empty the grey tank with the pump on, which has worked great so far.

So why are you turning the pump off to empty the grey tank?

CC
Old 01-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Camelot Camper....The bypass is used when you're parked for several days and you want the grey water to drain when you shower and do dishes. By leaving the grey tank valve open, it drains via the bypass hose and you don't need to turn the pump on.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Don,
Thanks for the explaination. It's nice to know that we can do that even though we don't seem to stay in one place long enough to take advantage of it. Running several loads through the washer seems to fill our grey tank too quickly.

CC
Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #9

Warpath...my unit is just like the picture you posted.
Diplomat Don...I think my unit already has the 1/2 size, at least, the tubing shows 1/2 in Inside diameter. I'm going to take the bypass hose off and blow some air pressure into the elbow to see if that does any good.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Also I have learned through use, that the discharge hose has to be pretty much all extended for the by-pass to work. And as has been said it is slow!
wilpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We also have the SaniCon installed in our coach and certainly appreciate the less messy gray and black tank emptying. Our has the bypass but I'm not sure I'm a fan of it. Certainly it keeps the gray tank drained down but I often use the gray water to backflush the black water tank and increase the level in the black tank. I have heard several times that the soaps and detergents help clean the black tank. I've often found that the gray tank in almost empty when leaving a campground, especially if just overnighting while the black tank is 1/4 full. I've heard that this contributes to blockage but have not encountered it. If my black tank is not at least half full I will start the solid waste tank flush, not only to add more water but also agitate.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #12

OK, I've gotten in solved. The lower elbow on the bypass hose on the intake side of the pump was clogged big time. I attempted to blow air through the elbows and quickly discovered the lower elbow was stopped up. I took it out and the "stuff" was packed in it. I could see additional "stuff" inside the intake pipe. I took the 3" hose off of the pump and used water and air to clean the area around the hole the elbow screws into. Now the bypass flows as it should. I had had this problem last year and called Sanicon and they had me back the lower elbow out one complete turn. At that time it seemed to solve the problem, but, we haven't used the coach very much. As I reassembled the unit yesterday, I could see that if you screwed the elbow in all the way, a portion of it protruded into the intake. By backing it out one turn, it is flush with the wall of the intake.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Stuff probably gets stuck from residual left from the black tank and finds its way to the bypass.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote