RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

Grey water tank handle comes loose

We have a 2005 La Palma. Recently the handle for the grey water tank comes loose when driving. If I'm not careful to check it before opening the travel cover on the dump outlet, grey water comes rushing out. Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?
Thanks!

VickyfromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #2

I installed a Valterra T58 twist one Waste Valve as an additional valve to ensure no waste water leaked out of my drain pipes when I took the cover off. I have a Minnie Winnie 22M where the gate valves are located on the passenger side of the rig and operated by extension wires. Problem is there is almost eight feet of pipe between the valves and the discharge fitting - always had liquid dripping out of the pipe when cap removed.
While the simple addition of this extra gate valve doesn't solve your actual problem it does give an additional bit of peace of mind when you remove the cap.
Extremely simple instalation.
Good value for $30.00

Lowdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #3

Thanks!

Got the part thru Walmart, and it is working. Still don't know if I should have the grey water valve replaced by a pro. Vicky says yes. Phil says it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
All of the dump handles that I've ever had just screwed into the slide valve. I can only remember twice that the handles came loose in over 50 years of owning RV's. Try screwing it back in. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:07 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyfromNZ View Post
Still don't know if I should have the grey water valve replaced by a pro. Vicky says yes. Phil says it ain't broke, don't fix it.
But... is is broken.

I suggest fixing it. The valve may not need to be replaced, just repaired.

If you repair/replace the grey water valve, you may as well repair/replace the black water valve at the same time. You can save a replaced valve as a spare, should it be in working order.

If your coach has rod- or cable-operated valves, it will be difficult to get to them. I can help with advice on how to do that.

I encourage you to do this work yourselves, despite the potential difficulties, as it will teach you about the way your coach's waste drainage system works- in advance of a problem on the road.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

Do it ourselves???

Thanks for the offer, Mark.

All I can tell you is that the sewer system has a white panel with various controls on it including the 2 handles (grey and black water). We're both seniors - Vicky is more mechanical than I am but I would probably end up doing it with her help.

What else would you need to know to get us started?

Thanks

Phil & Vicky
Old 09-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #7

Using this type cap won't prevent surprises but will help contain them to your discharge hose. Simply hold the end of the hose under the small cap and open. If there is liquid inside the cap it will run into your hose. Then you can open and connect with clean hands.

(Have no connection to Amazon or Camco. Learned from experience).

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Durable...gateway&sr=8-4
GuyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:41 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Phil and Vicky-

The next step is to find the valves. Their location will determine if this is something you want to tackle yourselves.

For now, leave the white panel in place. Using a flashlight, look behind the panel and see if you can see the grey and black valves. Follow the rods or cables that stick through the panel (the ones attached to the valve handles). Once you have some idea of where the valves are, take a small camera or a cell phone and take some photos of the valves. When I do these photos, I just stick my hand up in the space and press the button until I get two or three reasonable views of the subject. Post a sample picture here.

There is one more thing you can do in preparation. Go to the passenger side of the coach and open the door of the storage bay opposite the wet bay. On our coach, that is the first door in back of the rear wheels. On our coach, that bay is split into two parts. The front-most is for storage, and the rear-most holds the house batteries. If your coach is laid out that way, remove the items stored in the front-most part, then look for a removable hatch in the upper rear of that. If there is a hatch, back up a bit and take a picture of that. Post that picture here, too.

Here is a link to a post I made with pictures of our coach's wet bay. The pictures will give you an idea of what is (probably) behind your coach's white panel. Don't be discouraged by the chaos. The fifth picture in that series shows the grey and black water valves. They are the tall rectangular shapes in the piping, to the left (grey) and in the center (black).

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water