Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ground effect lighting

This is Mich Bill.
I am considering putting LED lighting under the motor home for the “ground effect.” I have a 2009 Monaco Dynasty Regal IV 45’. Does anyone have suggestions as to the “best” lights to use and method to install?
Thank you
Bill
Michbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

I have been toying with the idea of adding lights to.
Have you looked at the Boogie Lights brand?
Lazy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If you do the only thing I ask is that you turn them off when you go in/to bed for the night. I've seen some that are so bright they light up campsites 3 over from the MH that has them.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

I have a 2010 Diplomat 42 SKQ and just installed Boogie lights ground effect lighting. I took a roll of 2 " galzanized metal flat strap and mounted the lights to this which has a nice smooth surface which also permits you to change the location if you are not happy with how they look. I used 3/4" self taping screws fastened to metal supports every few feet. I decided to wired them into a bay light which permits me to turn on and off from the coach after initially setting up color and intensity. I opted for the App control over a separate fob. The entire install took less than 2 hrs to install a 16ft strip on both sides of the coach. I did not take any photos but will make an effort to take a few tomorrow and post. I originally installed the lights approx 8" in from the edge but my sewer connection falls right in the middle of this so I needed to move them a few inches further in on the roadside. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
beachman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
As a courtesy to your camping neighbors, consider spending
your money on something else.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We put some under the lip of the slide so it works well when coming back to the rv at night.

but before the light police says anything!
I turn them off when we go to bed...
just in case they are brighter than the campfire or the rv parks street lights or the headlights of the rv's coming in late or the moon, or the....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-10 040.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	152328   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-25 016.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	152329  

Old 02-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michbill View Post
This is Mich Bill.
I am considering putting LED lighting under the motor home for the “ground effect.” I have a 2009 Monaco Dynasty Regal IV 45’. Does anyone have suggestions as to the “best” lights to use and method to install?
Thank you
Bill
Bill, I followed the advice of some others and got color changing LED strip lights off Ebay. I went thru three sets of those things in 6 months. They would work for a while then start getting goofy.

I decided to use good truck marker lights. I used a combination of green and white. I mounted the lights under the passenger side and front of coach in an alternating pattern. I control them with two 12 volt remote control switches I got off Amazon. They work well and look fine. I got the lights off Amazon.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We put some under the lip of the slide so it works well when coming back to the rv at night.

but before the light police says anything!
I turn them off when we go to bed...
just in case they are brighter than the campfire or the rv parks street lights or the headlights of the rv's coming in late or the moon, or the....

Like It JBT I believe you posted the manufacture of you light in previous thread? I want to install on my slides this spring.

PS
Old 02-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #9

This is why I chose to go with Boogey Lights. I have them uptop as well. Rhey also have a 3 yr warranty. As far as the light police goI dim mine down and usually go with a blue tone at night so it is not offensive.
beachman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
your money on something else
Thank you

To me most of them look like the circus has come to town here in the park im in here in Fla.

I was just saying to my wife it's only a matter of time before the parks ban them ....they look cheap and cheesy ...at least to me
Old 02-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
your money on something else.
And PLEASE leave FIDO's at home...
Old 02-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #12

Wow, you guys are gonna be really mad when my dog starts barking at my lights
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
Wow, you guys are gonna be really mad when my dog starts barking at my lights
I think they sell led light collars for the dog lol.
Lazy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #14

I have a set of these lights at the top of my To Do List. The DW has been requesting them ever since we purchased the MH.

I completely get where the "light police" are coming from. I've been to campgrounds where folks had 100' aura of light all around their RVs! That has to irritate the neighbors.

Everyone went crazy about light strips on boats a few years ago. Now it seems to have settled down a bit. They really do nicely as subtle accent lighting.

Boogey lights looks like a pretty good system. I am wondering if the coating they put on the lights is sufficient to withstand the occasional strike from gravel or other road debris.

Beachman's approach of mounting them on strips then securing the strips as necessary seems like the way to go.

Tags
light