Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Ground Engine Batteries

Hallo I wonder about this! If the ground is placed on the housebatteries and there are no ground cable between enginebatteries and housebatteries. Is it possible that the enginebatteries take the ground from somewhere else in the rv. My Rv cracked the computer and when I looked at the batteries I found out that there where no ground cable going to the enginebatteries. But I had driven it all the way to Portugal from Sweden. And I never had any problem to start it.
I have a Monaco Cayman 2003 34,4 cumminrail engine ISB300
After I changed the computer. I placed new cables from the starter to the enginebatteries and also a new cable from the frame to housebatteries. Drove all the way back, had mounted Scangauge d and did,nt get any wrong code
Best regards
Lasse
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
Hallo I wonder about this! If the ground is placed on the housebatteries and there are no ground cable between engine batteries and house batteries. Is it possible that the engine batteries take the ground from somewhere else in the rv. My Rv cracked the computer and when I looked at the batteries I found out that there where no ground cable going to the engine batteries. But I had driven it all the way to Portugal from Sweden. And I never had any problem to start it.
I have a Monaco Cayman 2003 34,4 cumminrail engine ISB300
After I changed the computer. I placed new cables from the starter to the engine batteries and also a new cable from the frame to housebatteries. Drove all the way back, had mounted Scangauge d and did,nt get any wrong code
Best regards
Lasse
Lasse
"Normally" there IS NOT a ground cable BETWEEN the engine batteries and the house batteries.

"Normally" each/both the chassis and the house batteries have their own ground cable... FROM the vehicle frame TO a negative, (-), post battery post.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks Mel for the answer
I could only found one ground going to the housebatteries. Can,t understand how the RV could work without a ground to the enginebatteries. When I took away the ground from the housebatteries, nothing on the RV worked. Neither on the housebatteries or enginebatteries. It seemed like the RV enginebatteries got ground when the ground was mounted on the housebatteries. But probably not enough to ground the ECU properly.
Best regards
Lasse
Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
YC1

It is important to have a ground on the engine batteries or they are just useless and are running off the house batteries. If there is not a cable, there was one there at some time. Most go to the frame. Look along your frame for a place where several wires may be stacked. If you can't find one. Just clean a place shiny and bolt a new one on. Paint it so it slows any rust.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

Some grounds go right to the starter. Was there no ground on the stater batteries.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

If you have a negative cable from the engine battery, to the starter motor, there should also be a short jumper from the starter to the engine block and or chassis.

If there is no cable on the negative post of the engine battery, there is something very wrong. Your " engine batteries " are just excess weight.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

There was just a ground cable to the frame connected to housebatteries. I can,t understand how the RV was able to start without any ground cable as I could see.
I had 3 months to look up the battery cables and I could,nt find anyone ground cable to engine batteries. The ECU was changed in sept last year.
Best regards
Lasse
Old 08-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
YC1

When you turn the key a large solenoid closes and brings your engine starter to the house batteries apparently. You are living on borrowed time if your house batteries go low. I suspect a BIRD circuit has kept it connected. I wonder how many other modifications the previous owner made.

You need to get a ground wire from those batteries to the frame.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #9

Where does the ground go to or is the no cable on the negative post. I just
checked my RV and the negative post goes straight to the starter and then I
have a cable from the engine to the frame
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

Thank you everyone for the help. I looked one more time today and found a ground cable from the enginebatteries to the frame, close to the starter. So it seems that the ECU broke because of bad ground or something was wrong with it.
Best regards
Lasse
Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
YC1

Glad you found the wire. Now take it off and make it shiny clean.

Tags
batteries, engine